Lower banks history.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by stephen campbell, Jan 14, 2019.

1. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Has a cause and effect pattern been observed that relates to when the LB "turns on". Not just "when the bait shows up" ahaha A few years ago Nov plugged the boats with big ones, this year--- well Ya see.

Thanks

2. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    IMO, it's a total random crap shoot Steve. It's too risky to burn time from a log 16 day trip, this was a unique opportunity as both the Shogun and RR3 had fly down/fly back trips scheduled that were relatively short on fishing time if they ran out to the bank. Clarion buffer zone was in play when they scheduled these trips. November 2005 was an anomaly, although pretty good repeat in 2006. I have my opinions on that fishery, but I'll share that with you in April if you would like.

RichG, harddrive, Soda Pop and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike Nall

Mike Nall Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boomer
    Boat:
    Any one that floats.
    This year in November there was zero sign of Tuna there.

RichG and Bill W like this.
  4. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Lower banks was epic in 05. My first long range trip on the shogun. I landed in San Diego went straight to the landing and watched the Q unload. Sick Sick. I was hooked then and there. I hadn’t even left the dock. I have not experienced it as it was then but 07 we had one day 45 fish 15 cows. I’ve been back a few times 2012 2016 no barn burners. I heard that the squid disappeared in that area which really affected the migration. Hopefully I’ll see that again. Some all star fisherman on that trip. Very welcoming to a east coast guy. Dave Brad Reid Norm Bruce. Great trip

Caseymcv, ZZZZZ, ifish42na and 3 others like this.
  5. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    I thought I saw another lower bank thread from awhile back. Not much of a response. Got burried quickly.

Oops. That was epic and a great learning/improving opportunity for all. The fleet did loose the fish for 1.5 whole days :) that time frame. Indy went to the finger bank trying to relocate the cows. There were no cows at the finger fk. The Q and Gun relocated the fish. Nice of the Indy to check out the finger, the cows could had swam there overnight. Took them all day to get back to the zone, 45 miles or something. A few albacore type cow responses. Bonkers. 4 days we had 52 big tuna total with 12 of those cows. 25% cows hooked

Great to see all the trips since, on it :D be cool to soak a bait with yah again. East coast dudes are cool and talk funny

Not sure if you have this exact pic. Your first cow. Straight cowfish stop
    1194181_c163e3c93e2fd3fc97c16a14cf35785d (1)~2.jpg

If that lower bank became the norm. Some anglers would rearrange thier life for it

tunawrestler likes this.
  6. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Rodless trip in January was down there on the Excel. Some big fish, but not quantity. I've been on a 12 or 14 day trip on the Intrepid many years ago. We fished the lower banks and we got 6 tuna for the entire trip..... If I were you, I'd rather have a variety trip on the 8 or 10 dayer.

shellback likes this.
  7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    The times I was down there the big tuna were almost all on those funky black porpoise. We found other schools of smaller grade fish too but those black things were key. Never seen those before or since.

ZZZZZ likes this.
  8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I may be mistaken but the last really good hit I can recall on the lower Banks was in November 2017...Capt Sam Moore on the intrepid got 17 over 200# and 5 were over 300# on a 10 day trip....

In the years from 2007 to 2009 I had some great trips there.....

9. ZZZZZ

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    All our fish came off of those. That's how and why the fleet lost track of the bulk of the fish for 1.5 days. The dolphin traveled far one night and the tuna followed. Once we relocated the tropical black dolphin. Game on. Run and gun dolphins packing. All drift fishing

We did get on a spot of very good fishing for 25-40lbers not related to dolphin. Evening ripper on the slow day sure helped

10. ZZZZZ

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    2004 November, The finger bank held some big fish, cows. That seemed to be off the edge of the bank and would come onto the bank. Only in the evenings for dinner. Short window run and gun. Good time to fish heavy so the fish can be landed timely and the boat can get back on them before the sunsets

We would fish small yft until around 4pm. Then go on the hunt for largers

2004 November, Potato bank. A few fish in the 60-80s. I lost a good one when my knot turned upside down and got cut where the eye pinches shut. Maybe a 130ish but a few big ones were lost

11. ZZZZZ

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    2003 October, Departed on the 1st. 11 day. The extra day was used to take one for the team and be the first to check the lower banks. Zero fish zero sign. A few good birds high. Full day tour in perfect working conditions. Oct 7th

This is the year alijos went off with 70-140s. On this trip also

12. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    I loved chasing those blackies down there in '05-'07, such clean fishing and quality grade. One of my best LR memories is cutting off several fish from 200-250+ and watching them spiral back into the deep.
    Anyway, not long after that I was talking about fishing that area to an old school retired SD tuna boat captain who has since passed away. He said the fishing we had was typical for that zone during the 40's-60's, everyone then knew if you fished the Lusitania in the fall/winter, it was straight 5 pole gear.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    ZZZZZ and Steve K like this.
  13. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    We had a couple stops where everything was 190 plus and full speed on the kite with a double trouble close enough to the corner to throw chum at it. Instant. There were only 9 of us so you’d just get your fish in and you be back up on the kite. Would be days of driving around for nothing until you found the porpoise. We’d drive right by the smaller fish. Those porpoise were hard to see too, laziest porpoise I’d ever seen

ZZZZZ likes this.
  14. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    November 17 was nuts. Not for the ripper bite you guys are talking about, but for insane quality. We had more fish over #300 than under #200. Mine taped at almost 90” (89.5).

77A3AEE3-C21E-4001-B325-F998D7A3D29E.jpeg

ZZZZZ likes this.
  15. ZZZZZ

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    2008 late September at Lupe. All fish off of tropical dolphin along the ridge. All on the drift. Good fishing. Those same type of dolphin that were at the lower banks 3 years prior. Larger grade yft now at Lupe

I asked awhile back. If Lupe dolphin fish has gone off again. Since 2008. No one chimed in

Tropical dolphin are lazy and mellow. Just a spout and small v wakes. Its hot in the tropics. Siesta nap mid day. They have a sun tan