Lower back pain after a day out boating/fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by lynndeva, Sep 14, 2015.

1. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    I don't really feel it until the following day, then I need a day to recover after being out on the boat fishing a full day or weekend and then I'm fine....anyone else? looking for opinions on maybe wearing a (non-bulky) lower back support..do they work? which kind? I'm not into taking pills of any sort, looking more for a preventative remedy. 8-)

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17 Montauk
    Have the same problem. Thought it was just my Whaler.

3. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    I am struggling with that today (after three days on a boat this weekend). I spoke with my chiropractor about it recently and while I have a bad back, most of my post fishing pain is caused by my hamstrings being too tight and pulling on my lower back. He recommended doing hamstring stretches regularly. My back pain has subsided a bit today after doing some stretches. It's amazing how tight the back of my legs get from standing in a boat all day...

DannyNoonan likes this.
  4. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    I feel it more if I go barefoot in my boat, but if I keep my flip flops on, I tend to have less lower back pain the following day. I've thought about putting an anti-fatigue mat at the helm, since I usually stand to drive. I learned from many years of standing all day at trade shows for my job that the correct pair of shoes, or a padded mat to stand on, helps immensely with the lower back pain. If I'm standing all day with the wrong pair of shoes, I can hardly walk at the end of the day. My back starts spasming.

My dad battles sciatica, and he uses one of those elastic back braces, which helps him quite a bit.

5. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    hmm I wondered about the shoes, but I have tried all kinds..flip flops, barefoot, supportive athletic shoes, fishing boots etc and tried switching them out throughout the day..still the same amount of lower back pain...I have tried sitting more, standing more, going slower, sitting sideways, putting my feet on a box while driving etc..... and I tend to lean against the rail but I don't know if that effects anything?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  6. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    Agree, had back pain for years thinking it was a herniated disk or something. Finally after four years I went to the chiropractor because it was getting really bad. He did some tests and said it was my hamstrings. Stretched them out a few minutes at a time, three times a day and after any jogging or anything physical. Within two months my pain wasts almost gone except for the occasional tweak.

7. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    +2 on hamstring stretching for your lower bank issues.

I am a big fan of preventive use of Ibuprofen. That has been my go-to for years - after stretching of course.

8. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    Hard to know about the shoes unless you went with some custom orthopedics, but those aren't cheap. Especially since you've tried different shoes with no change in results.

Good info on the hamstring stretching. I know I have tight hamstrings and I never stretch, so that might help me too...

9. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Bean bag captains chair!!!

I went 30 miles in my 15 lowe duck boat earlier this sumer on a glass calm day and whipered the whole next day.

10. Riding High

Riding High Professional Curmudgeon

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 - Riding High
    People either love em or hate em, but a good pair of Crocs (the real ones) do wonders for your back and feet. Plus they are fairly slip-proof on a good nonskid deck. Let all the Croc haters say what they will, but they really work.

11. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    You can also try those mats if you stand a lot while driving. I'll would be more than happy to give you a front....I mean back rub.....

12. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    Haha Rich :oops: just don't post my boat on the googen Facebook page..

Fishbones likes this.
  13. pescadorable

pescadorable Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 The Fish Taco
    Im also in the same boat I fish and hoop year round tried the anti fatiuge matt that kinda worked but makes a mess on the deck, the best that works for me is coming home and I go in the pool and put on a life vest and hang in the deep end and a little jacuzzi 2 alieves and bam in all good and I'm 60 years young.

14. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    I used to have the same thing riding motorcycles. Found out it was my kidneys bouncing around.
    Purchased a kidney belt to stabilize lower back and the pain went away. Possibly a ruff ride offshore may be causing the same problem.

Ducker!

15. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    Went on Amazon and found these orthpedic shoes for $60 bucks, and they've been a blessing, plus they breath.

I went to a guy about 10 years ago that did some very deep massage to the muscles in my back, and haven't had a bit of problem with my back since. Seems if you've ever injured, say the small of you back, the muscles will eventually seem to heal up, but the problem is they heal a little or a lot shrunk up. He did these deep massages to stretch the muscles back out to their original length, as least much better than they were because it wouldn't take anything to re-injure that area till he got the muscles back to "normal".

The other thing is to fish in the upright position. I know we all bend over to backpeddle the spool to keep in contact with our baits, but hell the same can be done standing vertical, and this alone relieves a lot of tension on our lower backs.

16. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Like stated above. Stretch those hamstrings and also hip flexors.

Stand on a soft surface when under way.

Also sitting down is harder on the back than standing. If your sitting a lot, stand and stretch here and there.

17. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Abs, oblique and lower back exercises combined with stretching glutes and hamstring will alleviate some back sensitivity. Yoga is probably best for flexibility and/or soreness issues.

Aerobics helps too!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    wils likes this.
  18. Shark Meat

Shark Meat Diehard/Determined CAPT

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Well, having had years of chronic neck and back issues needing both physical therapy and chiropractic adjustments it may be a combination of things IMHO:
    1. For me the choice of shoes or anti-fatigue mats helps tremendously. When it is rough on the water, try taking some of the shock out of going up swell especially if you have to stand up.
    2. Totally agree with pre- and post- trip stretching it helps.
    3. Leverage and Posture on the boat makes a huge difference. Extended fights using longer rods on heavier fish tend to hit your lower back hard, then bending forward to chase a fish around the engines for example exacerbates the problem for me. Then my back starts spasming. Proper posture begins well before you get to the boat too. When you are at your desk or behind the wheel while driving a car try sitting up straight with your back against the seat.
    4. Tylenol and Ibuprofen are highly recommended and beneficial.
    5. I haven't tried harnesses YET, but it can't hurt.

We have a therapeutic foam roller and an electro-pulse generator at home that also help, but if you don't have those, try TWO tennis balls stuffed into an old tube-sock and roll over them on the floor or between you and the wall. You'll be surprised. Anyway hope it helps.

19. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If you are on a boat that is big enough that you fish standing up, private or party, your upper body is constantly flexing to try to keep yourself balanced against the rocking of the boat. That is the equivalent of about a thousand crunches. I've learned that it really helps to wear a back support brace, the kind that weight lifters wear. I usually put it on after about four hours at the rail, and I'm usually the only one on the boat wearing one. It kind of goes with the gloves that I wear and the goofy looking clothes and hat -- the fish are too busy laughing at me to take me seriously, and that is a mistake!

KnotyBuoyz likes this.
  20. Fathomx

Fathomx Old Guy

Name:
    Wrapper
    Boat:
    It Floats
    I had that same problem, at min once a week to maintain (2-3 week for the first 2-3mo), 3-5 sets of reverse sit-ups (carry a 25lb weight or as needed as you get stronger) fixed it for me. Once I stop my weekly exercise the pain will come back after hanging large fish until I start strengthening again. I am in pretty good shape to begin with though with no gut.