Low memory fishing line for kids spinning reel?

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I'm looking for the best mono fishing line, 4-12# test, for my son's spinning reels; smooth, supple, low memory. Most of the time he (8 years old) gets frustrated with casting since the line does not lay on the reel properly at the beginning of the retrieve and then fouls on the next cast. I have a bajillion spools of though abrasion resistant line, (Pline, Izor, Big Game, High Impact) but the lighter # test lines I have don't play well with spinning reels and kids learning to fish. I bought a spool of Iron silk which has less memory, but want to get the him spooled up with the lowest memory line available. I'm looking for reasonably priced line, but if I have to spend $10-20 on a spool of line to get him past this problem, so be it.

Oh yeah, it's for trout, bass and striper fishing...

PORKCHOP63

yup that'll do
Jan 27, 2007
MURRIETA,CA
Name
RICHARD
Boat
19' NITRO
green maxima in the 5# is great. i also use alot of p-line. my partner i do tournaments with uses the stern original and loves it.

fishnfool

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2003
Murrieta, Ca
Name
Kevan
Boat
IMAHO
Berkley, Stren, Maxima, and P-line all have softer lines for easy casting. You will find with the softness will come less abrasion resistance, and more stretch so it is give and take trying to find the best of both worlds. If you go with the softer lines I recommend you bump up to 4# test. You may not get bit as well as you would with 2# test but when you do you will have a better chance of landing the fish.

There are two main reasons for problems with any line on spinning reels. One is winding the handle to close the bail. Every time you wind to close the bail you will put twists in the line. I recommend closing the bail manually to remedy that issue. The other is turning the handle while a fish is pulling drag. Every turn of the handle will put more twists in your line. If your reel is a 6 to 1 ratio that will be 6twists for every turn of the handle. Both of these things will at some point result in a twisted up ball of line appearing to almost explode off the reel resulting in a lot of frustration and loss of lures when the knot catches in the guides and snaps the lure/bait off. The latter problem can only be resolved with teaching/experience. Explain to the youngsters, and anyone new to fishing with spinning reels, that they should not turn the handle when a fish is taking line, and what can happen if they do. If you do these couple of things you will have fewer issues with line twist.

One last thing I can think of is to ensure there is no loop in the line when you close the bail before beginning the retrieve. Those loops can create knarly knots on the next cast which usually need to be cut out to fix especially when you add in the line twist. Hope this helps alleviate most of your problems. None of the line mentioned above should cost more than a $3 or $4 dollars per spool. Good luck.

WAR

@WARBAITS
Sep 3, 2005
San Diego
www.warbaits.com
Name
AA
Boat
KEY WEST BR196 / HOBIE PA14
I like to fish Maxima. But Berkley makes amazing products as well.

Line twist is (1) the way the line is spooled onto the reel. (2) Have your son keep pressure on the line when reeling up every once and a while. By holding the rod and line in right hand, retrieving with left. (3) this may be a OCD I have, but every cast I make I close the bail with my hand (not by reeling) then I pull a section of line out using my hand and letting the drag resistance tighten the line on the spool.

just some thoughts. good luck!

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
PORKCHOP, Stren Origional was one of my thoughts.

Fishinfool, Good points. He's been taught to close the bail by hand and not to kick it over with the handle and he does not crank on the handle when the fish is pulling drag,,, I've been right there at his side when he's hooked-up.

You hit on his main problem, the loop in the line when he starts to retrieve the line. I've shown him how to pull the rod tip up to straighten and tension the line,,, many times, but you know how it is with kids, turn your back for a second..... I'm hoping the limp line will reduce the coils so he doesn't reel them in.

I'm looking to purchase 1 bulk spool of 4# and 12# to start off with, hence the $15-20 price tag. I could probably get away $4 filler spool, but I found them to be a 1 shot deal and spendy for the amount of line you get,,, but maybe a good choice for this experiment?

We were pike fishing last weekend and I spooled up one of my spinners with 12# thinking this was the lightest he should use in case he hooked into something nice. BIG mistake on my part as the line was super coily, even slapping the rod on the cast! Maybe it had something to do with the 32 degree temps outside also...

gerk

The GERK!
Nov 18, 2003
So. Bay
Name
Steve
Boat
Green Submarine
Sometimes the lure or bait spins while being retrieved, creating twists in the line too. When the retrieve is almost back, try having him leave 10-12' hanging. Hold the rod tip up high and let the lure/bait untwist. This will help. Also, when putting new line on the spool, a machine used correctly will no put any twist on the line.
Good Luck and keep practicing....
Steve - (aka- The GERK)