Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Sorry this isn’t a report but more of a question.
So I’ve been reading most of the lobster reports and I’m seeing most of them saying they’ve recovered or lost hoop nets, what’s causing this, is it just the ripping current that’s been out there or what, I just want to make sure we make the right procautions on my boat so we don’t lose any.

Thanks Logan

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Current and kelp. Kelp hangs up on the bouy and drags the nets in to deeper water where they just float in the current. Sea lions also grab the nets and take off with them. Add a chain to the bottom of the nets for weight and make sure your buoy is on the correct way with the pointy end towards the net so the kelp slips over it. Pay attention to your string, no set it and run off...

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Fasten a few heavy weights to your nets, and add a couple feet of rope to the depth. The currents can move them around into deeper water, then the the floatation device lets it hover over the bottom for who knows how far.

Also (speaking from experience) tie a good knot to the hoop net. I lost one that way once.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    In addition to the above .....certain areas are prone to higher tidal currents. If you have nets that are walking a lot look at the bottom contours and remember that for the future. I’ll pass up certain areas that I know have ripping currents during a big swing.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Wind and Swell can march your nets into the rocks, jetty, breakwater, kelp, and/or close to shore if you don't pay close attention to them.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    someday a 23' Striper
    Here is something I used to do when we di commercial blue crabs fishing in Texas. If you’re fishing in 50 ft of water, make sure you have at least 70-80 ft of lines. Then mark off the 50 or so ft and tied a figure 8 knot in the rope. That will keep the float from sliding lower. On the tag end tied some weight or chain that will pull the tag end down. If the tide swings or the current pull the pots out deeper, you have some insurance lines to keep the pots close too or on the bottom while minimizing the amount of float rope on the surface to be snagged by boats.

Reactions: Zika
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Current,kelp,somebody thinking it's a navigational hazard ? And don't fish 40' of water with 50' of rope.Don't fish big tide swings either in bays or spots where the current concentrates through a narrower opening.Mission Bay jetties and San Diego Bay would be two places to be careful.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    All posts above are good advise.

Weight your hoops - this helps prevent moving. I use 3 pounds.
    Longer ropes (tag always weighted) leaving 25+ feet more than the depth you are dropping.
    Light your floats
    Keep an eye on them - if you see the float going under, move it shallower. This also prevents scum bags from stealing your bugs and/or nets.
    Put your phone number on your float in case you do lose it as well as your GO ID.
    Stock up on butter!

Good luck!

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Definitely weight your nets. I use 5lb barbell weights from Walmart, they fit perfectly in the Ambush net bait pouch and I just zip tie the opening shut. If you don’t want to go that route, chain, or even ‘hoop net heavies’ work well, the heavies are sold most places that sell nets, they look almost like a traditional fishing weight but they clamp on to the outer ring of the net. Obviously the Ambush nets will drag more than the lay flats, more height=more drag. There’s tons of different ways to keep them from moving though.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    In addition to more weight on the net if the current is ripping then I add a gallon jug (or two) to the float. I have seen plenty of times at Catalina that the little 6" float gets pulled under water - sometimes far enough that you can't even see the light.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Keeping an close eye on them is key. Oh and keep Todd away.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Knock on wood, but the only hoop I ever lost was when my buddy tossed one over the side before I tied the rope on......
    o_O:D

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0