Lost two...more confident than ever - 8/4 Dana Point

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Shewillbemine, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Ok bear with me folks as this is literally my first season fishing offshore so if my enthusiasm seems over the top, it is.

I launch out of Dana Point at 10am (late start, I know). I skip the bait barge as I've recently gotten sick of dead bait by the time I get to any spot. This is probably my fault.

I decide that the usual spots are probably going to be too busy so I decide to head south to San Onofre and then just head west looking for any signs of life.

The water was nice and blue today, 75 degrees and the waves were small so you could see for miles. At around 11am, I noticed some whitish water a couple miles in front of me. I make a beeline and can't believe that I'm seeing a "foamer" for the first time in my life. There was just one other boat (Parker I think) close to it and I try to hail it on channel 72. I tell the Parker that I'm not going to ruin his fishing area and I'm going to slowly sidle to his rear but way way back. No response.

I put out my three trolling rigs (Cedar Plug at shotgun, Daisy chain at medium length, Rapala X-Magnum up close) and pray I can get close enough to the foamer before it goes away. By the time I get close, the foamer is about 50 - 80 yards wide and I CAN SMELL FISH! I never thought that was possible, especially offshore.

As I get even closer, I kill the motor and decide to throw a surface iron (Tady 45). Nothing. At this point, I have drifted close enough that I am actually inside the foamer. I look into the water and I see: scales, boils of baitfish and hundreds of bluefin tuna. This is the first time I have ever seen bluefin tuna in the wild. Estimated lengths of 4 to 5 feet.

By this time, I glance to my stern and what do you know...my Rapala rod is doubled over and I've got my first ever hookup with a pelagic! I grab the rig and daaaamn I have never felt power like that on a fishing rod! I try to remember everything I've read and keep the line as tight as I can. I let him pull then when he's done, I reel in. I do this for the first 5 minutes and it dawns on me that I'm probably going to fight this fish for at least an hour. I also have a fleeting reminder that I need to clear the other lines (I'm fishing solo) but now I don't have time for that.

I grab the radio and because I'm so happy and excited I just shout out my coordinates to the ethos and tell people all the BFT are here. Maybe some of you heard me.

"Zzzzzzzzzzeeeeee!" My other rod with the daisy chain gets hooked up and I can't believe that the first time in my life that I hooked a tuna I'm now doubled up! I can't do anything about it and let the fish do its thing.

15 minutes into the fight it all comes back to bite me. My first hookup is now tangled with my Cedar Plug line and I can't reel without starting to cut away at the tangles. You know the rest. Because I can't keep pressure on the fish, it bites through the line and away it went.

I now pick up the second rod and it too was tangled with the other line and the fish is also gone (anyone catch a BFT with a brand new, blue and silver daisy chain say hi for me).

All of this ends with a big smile on my face as I see it as the first of many fishy encounters. Now I truly understand why people are so addicted to this wonderful hobby, particularly offshore.

As I head back to Dana, I spot decently sized kelp paddy. I stop and toss my surface iron close to it and get 4 Dorado following it! I have never seen Dorado either and I must say: these are some beautiful fish! No hookups though. I spend the rest of the day chasing a couple more small foamers but fail to get a bite.

Thanks for reading. I have no pics or vids but I will be sure to do so in the future.

2. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Wow! Sounds intense! Send me a message! Sounds like you need help! Lol
    I sold my boat, and have tons of gear and experience... Don't go solo!
    Billy

3. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    Hell yeah man! I was pumped reading that. Always hell trying to clear rods by yourself. Now I have to try drifting through foamers with daisy chains!!

Hardcor and Shewillbemine like this.
  4. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!

slydawg likes this.
  5. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
    Now you have gone and done it... you will never be the same. :D
    It is tough solo, thanks for the report I know you will be looking for any excuse to get back out there now.

Shewillbemine likes this.
  6. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n jäger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    No doubt, get a crew. Even if it's only one other person. Let's just think if you were able to get one to the boat, could you lift it by yourself? Tuna thrash like crazy once gaffed, and brought into the boat. Also have a tuna spike handy (mine is a cheap screwdriver ground down to a point). Impale the brain, and it will paralyze the fish.

Great story, but it's a reminder of why I don't go solo. Many situations can come about where an extra hand makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck on your next go 'round, and leave some fish for me!

7. Frijolez

Frijolez Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Mako 192 cc
    The only thing that counts is that you learn something every single time you go out in order to make you a better skipper and fisherman... You learned some valuable lessons and also got to experience something few people in the world ever have, big bluefin tuna foamers... Now take your newfound knowledge and go catch one! Lol God speed...

mokahehteh, bajaandy, Hardcor and 2 others like this.
  8. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    It is also a safety issue to go solo. There is real danger if you fall overboard and cannot get back to the boat. At the very least always ware a life vest that is a must. But there are enough very enthusiastic salties on this board willing to accompany you. Take advantage of them. Both of you will benefit.

Walt

mokahehteh and Shewillbemine like this.
  9. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    80% of offshore fishing is finding the fish, whether by skill or luck, you found them. Now figure out the remaining 20% and you would have made a great catch. You are off to a hell of a start.

A well presented bait on the right tackle probably would have been bit too, and also made it much more likely you would have gotten a kill.

As others said, extra eyes and hands are always helpful (even if extra mouths aren't).

Unassailable and Shewillbemine like this.
  10. ReelTight

ReelTight Reeltard

Name:
    Robert Harned
    Boat:
    "Yeah, She's Gone!" 175 Aquasport Striper
    Kill switch tether is always a good idea when running solo!

Shewillbemine and yessokk like this.
  11. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I was gonna say the same thing Billy. He just needs an able passenger (and you need a new boat).
    I'm off work and available most of next week if you need a hand.

Shewillbemine and slydawg like this.
  12. queenfish

queenfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
    The "sidled up his rear" was a little bit of TMI

13. ugly bug

ugly bug bug eater

Name:
    Manana
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    I always take a measuring tape with me so when I see those foaming tuna, I can best determine the size. I fish alone sometimes, but not for anything that I can't safely handle. If you are out chasing big stuff, you better have a buddy boat thank can help you land it or stay inshore and catch some rats.

14. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Oh man. You're screwed now for sure. I was bummed just reading about you losing the fish. Great day none the less.

Look up FELL Marine MOB+. Cheap insurance in case you go over.

15. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    that was an awesome read… No matter how many times you experience this…it never gets old.

bajabills and Shewillbemine like this.
  16. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    The excited look on your face when you were telling me about your adventure was really cool. There is a big learning process when fishing solo. Talking to you at the dock made my day. I look forward to your future reports. Awesome attitude Brother, keep it up.
    Corey
    PS Do not let anybody tell you to not fish solo. I have been fishing solo for 45 years and would never give it up

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  17. ONEKID

ONEKID Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    Boatless again.
    so the fish bit the chain and rapala at drift? awesome!

18. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Such an awesome story. Thanks for posting.

19. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Corey! Nice meeting you in person brother. When I saw your moustache and boat, I knew that Reel Brothers had just pulled up to my local dock. I'm glad I said hi and hope to run into you more.

Hardcor and rick rouland like this.
  20. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A