Offshore Lost or stolen trolling rods at Shelter island launch ramp.

PENN

Marlinman10

Jun 25, 2008
Spring Valley, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
18' Glasspar, White Cap
Today I was excited to go out and find a marlin on a solo trip… I went out about 5:30 am... On the way out I realized that I was missing two of my trolling rods. One of two things could have happened and in either case, I am hopeful that someone saw what happened to them or found them and is holding on to them…

1st possibility: I had the rods leaning against the boat and thought I put them in the boat, they fell down and I jumped out on the opposite side of the boat not realizing that not only had I not put them in the boat, but that they were laying on the ground when I drove away.

2nd possibility: After I launched the boat and went to park my truck, someone went on my boat or reached over the side (the rods were on the starboard side in racks) and took my two rods.

Both rods were custom made for me by dear friends, they have sentimental value and I would like them back. Both of them have my name on them. One of the reels is a Penn 4.0 the other is a Shimano TLD20. If you saw something or happened to find my trolling outfits, I would appreciate your contacting me.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Berry

619-993-6748

Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
Apr 25, 2003
Escondido
Name
Rob
Boat
AAA+++ Ho
I guess they are your 'lucky" rods now. Be sure to post when you bend 'em over on some marlin!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
That's AWESOME! Otherwise I would have suggested putting LYNN DIVA "The Fishing Tackle Detective" on the case -- you may have ended up with twice the tackle too.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Happy ending!!!!!!???????? Let us know

Reactions: Paul Ward
Upvote 0

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
Pacific Beach
Name
David
Boat
Pequod
Lucky that Wayne (real good fisherman) found them and very nice of you to admit in the beginning that it could have been a mistake. Those are definitely good luck rods now. Happy for you.

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
RIGHT ARM MAN!

MARLIN-KARMA for the folks who took care of you!

Free boat ride for them maybe??

Upvote 0

socalmat

May 20, 2003
Escondido, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
26" Osprey Long Cabin
HI Mike
God it is good to hear your name again! I am glad it worked out. You look great!
It says newbie, but Mike is not a newbie.
Socalmat

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
:appl: good job!

Upvote 0

Big Squid

Almost A Member
May 11, 2006
San Diego
Name
Big Squid
Boat
Pursuit
Sooooo, other than that, how was the fishing?

Upvote 0

Big Squid

Almost A Member
May 11, 2006
San Diego
Name
Big Squid
Boat
Pursuit
If you can go fishing with less than a dozen rods,
please don't tell my wife......

Please.....

Upvote 0

Saintwho

Almost A Member
Jul 25, 2014
Name
Chris
Boat
2101WA
bahaha that is awesome squid... thread just keeps on giving!

fyi! IF YOU EVER LEAVE HER AND SOMEHOW KEEP YOUR BOAT THEY SOMETIMES GET THE DAMN GEAR! ask me how i know lol

Upvote 0

Marlinman10

Jun 25, 2008
Spring Valley, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
18' Glasspar, White Cap
My girlfriend is picking them up from Wayne tomorrow. I'm so stoked! It so nice to know we do have honest people in the world. Kudos to Wayne!

Hey Matt,
It so nice to hear from you. I hope all is well.

Upvote 0

Anello

Giddy Up!!!
Apr 9, 2003
SD, CA.
Name
Dan
Boat
No
You know, there was a time on BD when acts like this were commonplace (guys and gals stoked to help each other). The community would always help others when possible. I received some good will from other members when my truck was stolen with a bunch of my fishing gear in it. Members reached out to me and offered me their used gear, for free, to get me back out fishing. I was really stoked to read this and see that the good will is still out there. Good on you, Wayne, for doing the right thing.

Upvote 0

Joe Bal

Aug 9, 2010
Menifee, Ca
May the guy that went out of his way to make sure you got your rods have millions of fish hit the deck of his boat, and maybe a new boat too. glad to hear there is good people out there still.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Good prevails in the end. Congrats on the return! You better take Wayne out for some fishing or at least a cold beer!
:cheers:

Upvote 0

Marlinman10

Jun 25, 2008
Spring Valley, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
18' Glasspar, White Cap
I apologize I got his name wrong. His name is Lane. My girl picked up my Rods today. Once again I want to thank Lane and his girlfriend who spotted my rods on the ground.

Upvote 0