Lost one...

Discussion in 'Mammal Hunting Reports' started by lowyder993s, Jan 2, 2009.

1. lowyder993s

lowyder993s Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    35' Cabo Flybridge/SlipKnoT
    ...I'm so pissed at myself. Went to Az for the opener of archery javalina and deer. Get to the spot in the dark, jock up and walk 10 min. Got busted by 7 pigs at the top of a ridge I was going to sidehill to get to the honey hole. Cool, give them 5 min to chill as they went over the top. Start to the top of the hill, get there head on a swivel trying not to get busted again. They had moved over about 60 yds when I spotted them. They were feeding over the hill to get back to the side they caught me on. I let them all get over, then walked them down. Slowly was able to make out 2...but I could hear them all...they were making a bunch of racket pawing up the ground and rolling rocks over. Now it's down to 20 yds, closest w/ his ass facing me working a rockpile. He begins to turn sideways, digging like a MF'er. I start to draw and stops and looks right at me. SHIT!!!...busted agin...but then after a couple seconds went back to digging. SWEET...full draw set the pin on the boiler room...don't drop your arm...punch the release and hear the sweet sound of a direct hit and a woof.
    This is where things started to go wrong, I think. Where the pig was, he was right against an ocotillo. I distinctly remember seeing a piece of the ocotillo fly up after I shot. So, my arrow didn't completely pass thru...the vanes were still inside when he took off on a circling run, first standing broadside about 25 yds away...I could see blood running down the arrow. He came to w/in 12 yds and bedded down, staring straight at me the whole time...I thought he might be planning a charge. Great...no tracking, just wait till he goes to sleep. 3-4 minutes later, he gets up, I can see his nose working furiously...so I don't know if he winded me. Pig bolts on a dead run down into the canyon. I go to the edge (about 15 yds away) and watch where he goes. He makes it to the bottom, but doesn't follow the bottom left or right that I can see. 3 flat head carp bolt out of the bottom, then I hear 3 big snorts from the bottom...but not good enough to get a fix on where it came from. Wait 30, go to the last place I saw him...find no blood, no arrow. I looked under every bush, every rock, every tree and could not spot him. I went to the other wall and glassed, could not spot him. Went up and down the hillside looking on both sides of the wash. Spent about 4 hrs covering no more than 2 acres and didn't find shit. I'm so pissed cuz hindsight sez I shoulda tried to knock another arrow, but then I didn't want to get caught again. VERY FRUSTRATING.

2. Skip Jackson

Skip Jackson Recovering LandLubber

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    31' Aiwych
    i feel your pain....

3. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Pound for pound, javies are the hardest things to kill in the animal kingdom. Their vital area is really small and if you don't center punch it, you probably wont find that critter. They are tough as nails. I've had a couple of gnarly javelina bloodtrails, both if which involved a multiple arrow flinging shootout.

It sucks, I know, but don't let it get to you too much. Learn from it so it makes you a better archer.

4. lowyder993s

lowyder993s Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Yeah...my first one was a pin cushion when I was done w/ him...finally had to put 1 in his melon.
    That arrow was in the 10 ring for sure...last one i got like that lasted about a minute. He's picked clean by now, there's tons of dogs out there.

5. rojodiablo

rojodiablo Dive club flunkie

Name:
    Paul Romanowski
    Boat:
    Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
    Are there any bigger hogs wild in AZ, or just Javelinas? I shot one of those mini pigs about 25 years ago, and I have never been able to make it back out there since. I would like to go again next year, just wondering if there are any other hogs to look for.

6. lowyder993s

lowyder993s Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none that I know of...maybe ranch types...there was 1 in the herd that was 30% bigger than the rest, but I couldn't find him when it came time to drop the hammer.

7. whackedwahoo

whackedwahoo aka Whacker of Widgeon

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Lowe 1440 Mod V / Soon to be retired DUCK BUM!
    He prolly went in a hole. If there were rocks around he may have holed up and then died. Bummer on the loss of the pig, but good on you for working as long as you did trying to find him!

WW Out!

8. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    For sure a bummer to loose an animal.. My last archery buck; I put three arrows through his chest cavity and the fourth severed the spine. After loosing a doe some years back and spending the entire day tracking it.. I figure to keep them arrows flying to inflict as much damage as possible. The boar I got many years ago was a perfect chest hit and it took him 10 minutes to go down...

9. ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242 Dude on the mountain...

Name:
    Doc
    Boat:
    24ft CC- Ulla's Revenge
    that sucks.....thats why I always pincushion my animals.

10. lowyder993s

lowyder993s Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Yeah...I think that's the new SOP.

11. One Track

One Track Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Blood
    Hard to swallow when it happens to you. I lost my first javelina. The last two were quick 40 yd. death sprints. I had a buddy put seven arrows in to one javelina before it expired. Five of those arrows were at 2 yds. And, this buddy of mine is a stone cold killer.

12. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    That was unforgettable wasn't it! Reduex this weeekend!

13. SNEEKEE

SNEEKEE Member

Name:
    ROBERT ALBERS
    Boat:
    Simms G4z’s
    Thanks for the report