Lost at sea, Westport, yesterday 13 May???.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Definitely makes me rethink as a sometimes captain and sometimes crew member
On the beautiful weekend we had a few weeks back with smooth water I was on deck leaned against the back rail
One quick maneuver to miss a crab pot and my upper body was over the port rail
I was still secure with my feet on the deck but..
I agree on always wear PFD with PLB
It’s not that inconvenient
Rest In Peace to the fisherman
To the captain crew and family, so sorry for your loss!
You're correct...it's not inconvenient. I've always wore them. There's been times where I've had it on all day, got in, cleaned the boat and realized when climbing into the truck to go home that I still had the thing on. It's not inconvenient at all.

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle
Name
Lee
Boat
22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
I was out that afternoon and happend to have fuel issue. The coastguard came out for us to tow us back. After about five minutes of being towed back they stopped and said they received the distress call and they cut us loose and was was off to begin the search. They said they were only around 2.5 miles away. They got there really quick and we could see them in the distance searching. The helicopter was there soon after that. When we got to the dock we asked the captain if they found the guy but no such luck. Sad to hear about things like this fore sure. RIP. Stay safe out there

• Sad
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
Upvote 0

Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
I was out that afternoon and happend to have fuel issue. The coastguard came out for us to tow us back. After about five minutes of being towed back they stopped and said they received the distress call and they cut us loose and was was off to begin the search. They said they were only around 2.5 miles away. They got there really quick and we could see them in the distance searching. The helicopter was there soon after that. When we got to the dock we asked the captain if they found the guy but no such luck. Sad to hear about things like this fore sure. RIP. Stay safe out there
Oh I saw your boat getting towed in near the ramp and someone told me it was your boat, glad you guys were ok. RIP to the MOB. Sad for sure and can’t imagine what went through his mind as he watched boat drive off, holy crap, scary stuff.

Reactions: GregE
Upvote 0

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle
Name
Lee
Boat
22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
Oh I saw your boat getting towed in near the ramp and someone told me it was your boat, glad you guys were ok. RIP to the MOB. Sad for sure and can’t imagine what went through his mind as he watched boat drive off, holy crap, scary stuff.
Ya it was a long day and glad we made it in. I was hoping we would not be out there over night. Sad for the other guy and his family too. Way to young. Stay safe out there

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Ya it was a long day and glad we made it in. I was hoping we would not be out there over night. Sad for the other guy and his family too. Way to young. Stay safe out there
    Maybe in a different thread, tell us about your fuel issue that left you getting towed in

Upvote 0

South Sounder

Skipper
    Jun 12, 2011
    South Sound/ WA/ USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    South Sounder
    I personally know the involved parties in the MOB and the captain extremely well. What I can say is the boat has every piece of safety gear you need and the captain is very experienced and one of the best humans I know. The whole team is broken and they could use your prayers whomever you believe in. The story will come out but now it’s all about supporting those affected and involved.

Upvote 0
    May 6, 2004
    Newport
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    This alarm unit stays at my helm. The cord is clipped on to whoever walks out onto the back deck or is sitting in the deck chair While running.
    D82B87E1-8606-4607-9149-A749735FC608.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Did anyone else have trouble hearing the pan pan? I heard the calls while coming in but it was garbled and choppy. I can hear the grays harbor and columbia river coast guard stations perfectly out there but the call seemed to come from a farther station. Anyone else notice this? I didn't hear the call from grays until way later

Noticed this also, almost hard to understand.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    This is the reason I have no problem asking the captain to stop for a piss break or whatever. Never have I gotten any guff about it - never be afraid to inconvenience the captain, two minutes isn’t going to make a difference!

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    A piss Bucket aka 1 to 3# coffee can instead of opening a tuna door or leaning over the rail.

If you get up from the seat or bean bag tell the Capt/Driver.

A pit stop is ok with me when running in or out.

I was at the SW Corner of Quinault Canyon (12 miles away) I heard the Coast Guard. Not the little boats. Was not aware that the man was lost somewhere between the 450Ft (47.07 124.49) Depth to ?? inshore. I heard the rescue boat say he was cutting loose the Thundercat for a Man Over Board. CG was 2 miles from the MOB. Did not get involved due to thinking That the CG had a handle on it. Later on the Columbia CG dispatched a Second boat to tow the Thundercat in. Plus Helo was dispatched. Actually saw the Helo go north over the Quinault Canyon. Could the CG pass out more info for assistance?

Reactions: jiggermyster

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Wonder what it would take to get USCG to transmit this kind of emergency over the local channels. We have scan mode, including 16, but s when we chat on a channel, it kills the scan and we are now on 68, 72, etc.. unless we remember to reactivate the scan.

Reactions: fishbadger
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I think it would be helpful if the CG would elaborate on the situation and perhaps issue instructions so that there was some cooperation among boats able to help.

"Reported MOB in the vicinity of" is not alot of info. Maybe something like a recommended search radius, how long it's been, are we looking for a body or a life jacket? Stuff like that. When I first heard it it was so garbled that I assumed the numbers I could make out were a latitude well north or south particularly when I heard the call from Columbia river station.

If the guy was believed to fall off a moving vessel they should say that otherwise people wonder why the original vessel doesn't just pick them up. If they can't get to them then I sury cant from 15 miles away. Or was it that some one "thought they saw". Theres been alot of false alarms in the past.

Reactions: Tish
    Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    So was this a charter or private boat? How long 'till the coast guard issues a statement?

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    So sad. Prayers for the fisherman's family. RIP

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Plbs only work if you stay afloat.

All the gear we wear some PFds won't float us very high out of the water. In rough weather staying afloat will be tough. No pfd and your sinking like a rock.

Not knowing the situation I won't assume...

So in relative terms. If you don't train to go overboard it's going to scare the hell out of you. Quick deep breath as a standard oh shit reaction and your lungs are full of saltwater and your half dead anyway. Plan to ditch your rubber feet anchors asap and you'll increase your odds.
    If you haven't yet jump in on a nice day or go to a pool and see what happens with all your gear on...

I thought we had a sticky on this but if not, it maybe good to start a MOB tutorial thread.

Last edited:

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
    Advertiser
    May 20, 2010
    Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
    www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
    Name
    Mark Coleman
    Boat
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
    Awful. Just awful. RIP.

More justification for PFD's and PLBs. Yeah, its pricey but kind of like helmets, what's your life worth?

So sorry to hear this.
    Thank you.

Reactions: fishing fanatic
    Upvote 0

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
    Advertiser
    May 20, 2010
    Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
    www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
    Name
    Mark Coleman
    Boat
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
    On May 13th, 2021 you would have had about 60 seconds to live if you were wearing a coat, rain bibs, and boots. Sans the coat, bibs, and boots...3-4 mins. I’ve seen it almost happen in under 90 seconds myself so I know. If a life jacket was worn, regardless of attire...30 mins to several hours survival time. Either way this just plain sucks. What a bummer.

Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
    May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    We have all aboard wear a PFD and appreciate that Mark's boat skippers do also. Just too many ways to end up in the water.

We will be stressing solid communication and see it / say it for safety

Upvote 0