Lost and Found at Catalina 4/17

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SeaHawk IV, Apr 19, 2016.

1. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Found about 300+ yards of blue braid with 100' of mono/fluoro and 3/0 bronze hook and 3/4oz egg sinker. PM me so I can return it to the rightful owner.

Whose the jackass that doesn't know how to set their drag or attend their gear when trolling at Farnsworth.
    Get a clue dude! You ruined my day.

We get to our first spot so I could test the new chirp transducer. Once there, my buddy yells at me to shut off the motor. Good job bro! He sees a blue braid line under the boat and instantly realizes it's not our line nor did we have any lines in the water since we just arrived.

I shut the motor off to see what's all the excitement about. I get to the motor and see blue braided line out of the water wrapped up to the motor cover and around the prop. I lifted the motor up and it didn't appear to look that bad. I saw about 100' of mono/flouro with a 3/4oz slider and a bronze 3/0 hook with a little amount of braid wrapped around the base of the propeller. It ended up being a lot more line inside the prop shaft. The pics below only show some of the line that I was able to throw in the boat.

The ocean was not calm by any means. It was a small craft advisory according to NOAA but doable if you're inside a boat. I get on channel 72 to radio for assistance. Five other boats were in very close range but too far to yell at for their attention. Nobody returns my radio call. WTH?

I contemplated about calling VA but that will may take forever. I made the split decision to jump in the water and take care of this myself along with my buddy's assistance. Prior to jumping in the drink, a fellow boater approaches. I flagged him down and asked if he could stay idle while I'm in the water. I didn't get his name but if you're reading this, I really appreciate you taking time away from your fishing schedule. That was very kind of you and your buddies to hang around. Kudos to you guys and I wish good karma to your 2016 fishing season.

Anyway, I spent the next 20 minutes or so struggling to remove the fishing line off the prop. I cut off as much as I could but it was deep in the prop shaft. I had no choice but to remove the heavy stainless steel prop to clear the line so it doesn't damage the shaft seal.

Two foot waves in close intervals with a few sneakers slapping me silly while I'm trying to stay afloat while secured myself with one hand holding on the lower unit while the other hand was removing line and later removing the prop.

I was freezing my ass off as the water temp that morning was about 59 degrees. Finally got all the line out and got back in the boat. Apologize to the helpful boater for not sounding more sincere for keeping a watchful eye on me. I was feeling the beginning stages of hypothermia with uncontrollable shakes. I wore a long sleeve rash guard to stay warm but I'm not built with extra body fat for additional insulation. I had countless mouth full of saltwater from the sneaker waves that pounded my face. Which made me feel sick to my stomach afterwards.

So just a reminder, please check your drag setting and make sure the bail is closed before you leave your gear unattended. This could have been a tragic situation for boaters traveling at night combined with bad weather. I'm gonna chalk this up as a mishap by the jackass fisherman so no hating over here. That's the risk in being a boater with unforeseen hazards on the water. As careful and prepared and meticulous as I am, it could happen to any of us.

IMG_3032.JPG

Line pulled in floating on the surface.
    20160417_090604.jpg

80% of the line removed from the prop.
    20160417_210646.jpg

So the fish report.....

Fished Farnsworth, lots of birds working the area, groups of YT on the surface but lockjaw. They didn't want any sardines or mini macks. Threw surface iron, yo yo, hard baits, butterfly jigs, colt snipers, flylined bait hooked every way possible, tried 15 pound line up to 30 pound. It just wasn't going to happen. They followed our artificial baits to the boat but no commitment. Gave up after 4 hours of trying. Skunked #1

Went to my rockfish honey hole that has been very good to me for years with a variety of big fish. Get there and see a sporty working my spot. That same sport boat saw me pulling lots fish out of it last year while they were anchored near by. My bad for not leaving my spot so now it's empty. Skunked #2 Tried another spot for rockfish and Skunked #3.

Headed back to Long Beach in really rough conditions. 3' to 4' swells broadsiding me to change coarse. Winds were howling as well.

Heard a Pon Pon Pon Pon call from Coast Guards for a reported down airplane by Long Point. Plane was located and rescue personnel was in motion. I really shouldn't complain about my bad day, it could have been much worst.

Water Temp 59 early morning.
    Warmed up to 62 by early afternoon.
    Metered red crabs
    Saw a few of those Sail Jelly fish on the surface.
    Water was dirty green.
    Water was snotty, blowing 15kt to gust of 20kts

BTW, fin bait at Nachos was pretty sad. 40% Sardines @ 7" to 8" mixed with 60% mini macks. Sardines lost the fight in the tank that day. That's what you get for $40.00 before tip.

Last week Monday I was at Nachos and he had 8" sardines. Some pushing 9" long.

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3034.JPG

Good luck out there this 2016 season and be safe.

2. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Yikes! Sounds like a bad start alright. Glad you saw this through safely. I think blue braid is a calling sign right? :imdumb:

3. Vibora

Vibora Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Yes
    Though a shitty situation, I tip my hat to you for accomplishing such a task.

"Everybody wants to be gangsta , until it's time to do gangster shit"!!

twotrack likes this.
  4. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    Hopefully you got all the stink off for 2016 with this trip...

5. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Thanks for the report and heads-up. Glad you guys got home safe.

6. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    good reason to always carry a change of clothes no matter the length of the trip...20 minutes in 59 degree waterand i'm sure you were feeling it

7. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    sorry man that sucks, i always slap a wetsuit in when i go out just in case..........good luck from now on brother, you are due!

8. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Oh thank god you found it i was looking all over for that you can keep the line but please mail me back my hook!

9. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Not sure how to respond to this? Was the line free floating in the water? Did someone troll right in front of you? Because the alternative is you got too close to someone else and now are calling them out.

10. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    I keep several PVC rain gear pants, jackets, shirts,bath towels, wet gear, etc. just in case for others but never thought I would be the one needing them.

Looking back, one stupid mistake I made was not wearing a life vest while in the water. It didn't dawn on me but I did get the extension dock hook ready just in case I needed to be dragged back to the boat. Had a safety throw cushion with rope attached but luckily it wasn't necessary.

11. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    I have a wetsuit laying around from my scuba days. It's going in the boat now.

12. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    LOL

One hook coming your way.

13. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Check your outdrive oil!

14. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Line was floating above a high spot on the outer edge. Closest boat around was more than 1000' down current. Current was going south and I was northwest of everyone with nobody close to me.

I always respect other boaters space whether their line(s) in the water or not. I don't run over chum lines, sneak up on boats or interfere with others space I rarely fish inshore because I hate crowds. So I know what you're thinking but I try my best to be a responsible boater and angler. If I ran over someones line with a 3/4 oz slider, I must have been very close to them and they would have yelled at me if their line was peeling of the reel. It wasn't like the 150 spot YT action type of crowd there. Only five boats around so no need to dodge fishing lines.

15. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Thanks for the reminder.

I'm going to drain the LU this weekend. Should be okay but you never know. Prop hub didn't get spun so I'm grateful for that.

FatBoy4130 likes this.
  16. FatBoy4130

FatBoy4130 Member

Name:
    B Wolfe
    Boat:
    FATBOY
    Wonder if the 100lb bluefin that spooled the reel was still around?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blackfish likes this.
  17. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    Seahawk, I was gonna say the same thing......because I did the same thing. Wetsuit on and in water to change prop but didn't wear the lifejacket, also in choppy seas. Bit of a pain but got the job done, then remembered ,DUH, no life jacket.

Note to self and all, PUT LIFEJACKET ON RIGHT AFTER WETSUIT, ha ha, then tend to business.....

18. jspana

jspana Cali*Co

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    I have the fear of dropping the prop to the bottom.. or the nut .. I keep those spare on hand too just incase.. glad you got it all taken care of out there.

19. matto-805

matto-805 Newbie

Name:
    matt widmyer
    Boat:
    bellboy
    alot of good info---wet suit,--life jacket-extra prop and hardware-----------everybody knows it until they need it------I have re-adjusted-thanks guys

20. deluxe247

deluxe247 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Yours
    Hey Al,
    I haven't talked to you in a long time, but sorry to hear about this crappy situation. I'm glad you got it taken care of, and safely at that. Best of luck to you in your future trips bro! Look forward to reading more reports from you.