"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Launched from Dana Point.

Hit the 14 Mile Bank first and saw one foamer that sank and never returned. Place looked really fishy with tons of birds and bait.

Went to backside/West Catalina because reports said they were there last few days. NO BOATS and no signs of life.

We went south to the 277. Around 2pm is when it all started. Tons of small foamers that several boats were always chasing.

Saw they were feeding on microbait that was colored yellow/green and I had Colt Snipers of that exact color.

Got bit 3 times (some foul hooked I think) and lost all 3. I was starting to think it's my knot tying skills but they were all clean breaks every time. Not sure if the fish were biting it off or the Seaguar Pink Label (30 lbs) was just breaking off the stretch. Didn't have the wherewithal to retie a different leader during all the madness.

Also saw foamers within several miles of Dana Point. Boats were working the area as well.

Get out there if you can. Seeing them is the easy part. Getting them to bite is the hard one.

In case it helps anyone, this is the color that worked and looked just like the microbait.

41LyZvj4qVL._AC_SX425_.jpg

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    I hear you. I chased them around the 14 mile bank for a couple hours today from 10:30 to 12:30. Very fishy area a few miles southeast of the bank. Got one to eat my Coltsniper too, but didn’t land it. That’s a completely different story. See my report.

Amazingly large area of fish. Seems like they were popping up all over the place at the usual high spots and along the beach.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    My salty fishing buds just confirmed they had the same snapping experiences with Seaguar.

I'm switching to a different brand (Daiwa likely).

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I hear you. I chased them around the 14 mile bank for a couple hours today from 10:30 to 12:30. Very fishy area a few miles southeast of the bank. Got one to eat my Coltsniper too, but didn’t land it. That’s a completely different story. See my report.

Amazingly large area of fish. Seems like they were popping up all over the place at the usual high spots and along the beach.

Saw your report too! The tonnage was insane today. Wish they were more in a biting mood. I'm switching my fluorocarbon brand.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Launched from Dana Point.

Hit the 14 Mile Bank first and saw one foamer that sank and never returned. Place looked really fishy with tons of birds and bait.

Went to backside/West Catalina because reports said they were there last few days. NO BOATS and no signs of life.

We went south to the 277. Around 2pm is when it all started. Tons of small foamers that several boats were always chasing.

Saw they were feeding on microbait that was colored yellow/green and I had Colt Snipers of that exact color.

Got bit 3 times (some foul hooked I think) and lost all 3. I was starting to think it's my knot tying skills but they were all clean breaks every time. Not sure if the fish were biting it off or the Seaguar Pink Label (30 lbs) was just breaking off the stretch. Didn't have the wherewithal to retie a different leader during all the madness.

Also saw foamers within several miles of Dana Point. Boats were working the area as well.

Get out there if you can. Seeing them is the easy part. Getting them to bite is the hard one.

In case it helps anyone, this is the color that worked and looked just like the microbait.

View attachment 1302482
    Why use such light line with a jig. IMO 50+.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    My salty fishing buds just confirmed they had the same snapping experiences with Seaguar.

I picked up a spool of the Daiwa 60 lb fluoro and I like it. For what it’s worth, I went 11 for 12 on 35 to 54 lb yellowfin on a trip last year with it. The only casualty was a pulled hook, not the line’s fault.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely upgrade the leader strength.
    The Daiwa stuff does the job and it's reasonably priced.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Thanks, for the report and details, one question… what size - 68, 80, 100grm? Thanks!

LOL 21 and 42. Maybe that's why I wasn't using heavier line.

The microbait they were feeding on were TINY.

Also, other guys were getting bit on clear poppers.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"

I experienced breakage problems with both Yo-Zuri Pink and (less so) with Seaguar Blue Label. Started testing different brands, the only one that gave me 100% line rating was the Okuma Fluoro-Stretch leader material. The fact that it stretches more than other fluoro is a bonus, but the knot/break strength actually measured is the reason I switched. I have been using it for 2 seasons now and am 100% happy with this leader material. Used it for this 185# jig fish at the end of May.

PXL_20210524_074229450.jpg

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I experienced breakage problems with both Yo-Zuri Pink and (less so) with Seaguar Blue Label. Started testing different brands, the only one that gave me 100% line rating was the Okuma Fluoro-Stretch leader material. The fact that it stretches more than other fluoro is a bonus, but the knot/break strength actually measured is the reason I switched. I have been using it for 2 seasons now and am 100% happy with this leader material. Used it for this 185# jig fish at the end of May.

View attachment 1302514

Ooh! I'll give that a shot too. Thanks!

Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat
    Boatless
    It’s not the brand , it’s the size of fluoro being use , most likely the jig was swallowed and you were chewed off …
    I agree when I’m fishing off shore like that I fish 80 pound Hollow with a six foot served leader of 60 or 80 pound seaguar never had a problem. Flat falls and knife jigs I fish 130 to 130 floro with no failure

Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat
    Boatless
    I agree when I’m fishing off shore like that I fish 80 pound Hollow with a six foot served leader of 60 or 80 pound seaguar never had a problem. Flat falls and knife jigs I fish 130 to 130 floro with no failure
    I don’t see any reason to fish any jig on 30 pound it’s a reaction bite and I don’t think line size really matters. Just my opinion

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Forgot to say that we ran into a paddy just southeast of Catalina loaded with several nice sized Dorado (beautiful yellow and green colors).

They chased our shit for a while but didn't commit.

We must've fished 30 paddies. Only 1 actually held fish.

Reactions: repo805 and Zika
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    When foamer fishing snipers use 80 lb fluoro. The fins of the fish damage the line.
    change your hooks to at least a 4x strong.
    Last night we were fishing 80 spectra to 80 fluoro and bent a VMC 9626 PS 4x strong 5/0 treble. You may want to upgrade to a heavier hook as well. I thought the 5/0 VMC was going to be strong enough. Albeit, that particular hook had hooked 6-10 other 50-60lb bluefin. It may have been weakened by the duckbill pliers.
    On another thread someone mentioned that the surface irons come with the VMC hook.

Upvote 0