Inshore Los Barriles Fishing July 31 - BIG Cubera Snapper

AndrewP

May 29, 2013
San Francisco CA USA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Chi Cha Hoocha
Went fishing with my two sons - stayed at Hotel Palmas de Cortez and fished with Francisco. We stayed inshore for Pargo, Cubera Snapper, Roosters, Groupers, etc.
DSC00999.JPG

We caught BIG Cubera Snapper (live line Blue Runner @ 200 FT near Cabo Pulmo - North Border), Small Tuna, Grouper, Pargo, etc.. Our guide Francisco was solid, speaks English well and grew up in Los Barriles, so knows the area very well and has many good spots. His Panga is in good shape and keeps it clean. Also, great attitude and demeanor and liked to work with my twin sons, 15 years old. He picked us up at 6AM sharp on the dock in front of Hotel and we were always one of the first boats on the water. You can call Francisco or WhatsApp him at +52 624 119 1968

Double hook up at same time on Groupers (10 oz Jig & Live Blue Runner @ 600 FT) - Great eating!

DSC01176.JPG

DSC01163.JPG

DSC01155.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AndrewP

May 29, 2013
San Francisco CA USA
Name
Andrew
Boat
Chi Cha Hoocha
Nice work right there. What did the big Cubera take and on what line class? Those things are total tackle-smashers. I've come up short more than once on those beasts!
Live line Blue Runner no weight at 200 FT with Accurate Boss Xtreme 600, Calstar 40-80LB Rod, 80LB Top Shot, Owner #8 Hook. Yes, need quality tackle to get them to the boat.

Reactions: Tunahead and Cheech
Cheech
Cheech
Nice! That's the right gear to get the job done, and you still need a little luck and a good pangero. And it's still a tug-fest. Congrats once again. 8-)
Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
It’s really great that you took your young lads to the East Cape. You are making memories that will last a lifetime I’m sure.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Thanks for the report. I'll be there on Wednesday.

Upvote 0
    Oct 30, 2007
    chino,ca
    Name
    floyd wrider
    Boat
    14 ft Valco, 5 O'clock Somewhere
    I'll be there Sat. Sun, Mon 8/6 to 8/8. I've been to Mexico over 100 times and I haven't been there now in 20 years. Staying at the Palmas de Cortez, fishing off a cruiser and this is a free ride. Oh Yeah.

Upvote 0

plowking

Mar 31, 2017
    Seattle
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Nada
    Guessing you released that big cubera ... but just noting here that I personally have stopped keeping them and probably will stop keeping all snapper. They grow so slowly. I fished in Panama a couple of weeks ago, and the cubera fishery is super strong (fish like OP's on poppers at the shoreline) and the conservation will keep it that way. No captain will kill a cubera there.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0