Los Barriles fishing in March

47hand

Mar 24, 2019
Glendora
Name
Marcos
Boat
I wish
Hope I’m doing this right. New to BD and online forums altogether. Heading to los barriles in March. First time to los barriles. Was looking to do some full day fishing if anyone has any recommendations on fishing outfitters it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you guys recommend any lures or tackle that would also come in handy. Thanks and look forward to hearing your guys input.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
I live in Los Barriles. There are many options for charters here, from large operations like Hotel Palmas de Cortes' (largest charter fleet in Mexico) to small one boat operations. Because this will be your first visit, my advice would be to just chill and go with a charter through your hotel via a package trip. Palmas usually has great specials during March for room and fishing. Same recommendation concerning tackle - leave yours at home and use the boats. You can personalize your second trip with first hand knowledge. And you will come back!

47hand

Mar 24, 2019
Glendora
Name
Marcos
Boat
I wish
Right on thanks for your insight. Do you happen to know a captain that you would recommend or they’re all pretty dialed in. Also what type of fish are being caught around that time of year

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
March is pretty early in the season, the wind will still be an issue then. If you have a flexible schedule, you will be more likely to get out when the north wind is not blowing. I have been down in early March a few times, it is kind of a crapshoot. We have caught Dorado, Yellowtail and Pargo, but were kept off the water by the wind a few other times....

Ducks4jimm11

Feb 6, 2013
Graham/WA/USA
Name
Jim Mavity
Boat
Arima SR 19
Hola Amigo,

Let me start by saying I've fished LB during March/April many times; all comments about LB fishing in March are accurate. The best fishing I have experienced at that time of year has been out of Bahia De Los Muertos. Jon Roldan of Tailhunters International can hook you up with a decent panga charter for less than you would pay in LB. It is only about an hour north of LB, but well worth it in my opinion.

47hand

Mar 24, 2019
Glendora
Name
Marcos
Boat
I wish
Glad to get some insight thanks for the info. Will hit up tailhunters. How’s the shore fishing around that time in los barriles. And which month do you recommend to visit los barriles

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
I have fished the La Paz and the East Cape areas about 50 times in the last 25 years. One summer I drove down and spent 7 weeks fishing in various areas, sometimes with little local commercial guys who fished with boards and old line...they usually out caught me about 4 to 1.

March is very questionable because of weather/wind/waves/cold. If you can change your plans I would recommend you do so.

April is a little better, as is May, but in the last few years fishing has been erratic with fish seeming to bite out of season. Since our leader tells us that climate change is a hoax, I can't explain why water temps are running out of season.

For the last few years I have traveled in June. The fish are starting to come in and the water is warming, but the days are not too hot. Bait has been a little bit of a problem for the last couple of years, so take Rapalas, trolling feathers, some hoochies (my favorite artificial in that area), and some small iron.

July, August and Sept are better fishing, but the weather can be really hot. I had a trip in August a few years ago where every day for 5 days was over 100 degrees with no breeze...fishing was great but my buddy couldn't handle the heat and we had to drop him off in front of the hotel by 11AM each day. I caught big Roosters everyday so I didn't mind.

October is getting into hurricane weather. I have had to cancel 2 trips in Oct because of bad storms.

On the East Cape I stay at a funky little resort in Los Barriles. Verdugos is very simple, family owned, serve breakfast and a boxed lunch and the rooms are clean and reasonable. Lot's of little local restaurants in walking distance. The big fancy resorts include meals, but I prefer to eat on my schedule and enjoy the local environment.

La Paz is slightly different because they have La Paz Bay, Muertos Bay and Isla Cervallo. Better opportunities for bottom fishing than the East Cape. You can fish them with Tailhunters, and Jonathan and Jill are super people. Here is their web link and you can get on Jon's weekly report so you know what is going on.

I could go on forever, but if you want more info you can PM me and we can set up a call. I have a multi-page write up on fishing Baja that I put together for somebody a few years ago that I can send you.

You should try to get to the Fred Hall Show in early March as both Verdugos and Tailhunters will have booths. Try to talk to Jonathan at Tailhunters and Marisol at Verdugos. Say hello from Sheldon in case I can't get to the show this year.

Last edited:

47hand

Mar 24, 2019
Glendora
Name
Marcos
Boat
I wish
I have fished the La Paz and the East Cape areas about 50 times in the last 25 years. One summer I drove down and spent 7 weeks fishing in various areas, sometimes with little local commercial guys who fished with boards and old line...they usually out caught me about 4 to 1.

March is very questionable because of weather/wind/waves/cold. If you can change your plans I would recommend you do so.

April is a little better, as is May, but in the last few years fishing has been erratic with fish seeming to bite out of season. Since our leader tells us that climate change is a hoax, I can't explain why water temps are running out of season.

For the last few years I have traveled in June. The fish are starting to come in and the water is warming, but the days are not too hot. Bait has been a little bit of a problem for the last couple of years, so take Rapalas, trolling feathers, some hoochies (my favorite artificial in that area), and some small iron.

July,August and Sept are better fishing, but the weather can be really hot. I had a trip in August a few years ago where every day for 5 days was over 100 degrees with no breeze...fishing was great but my buddy couldn't handle the heat and we had to drop him off in front of the hotel by 11AM each day. I caught big Roosters everyday so I didn't mind.

October is getting into hurricane weather. I have had to cancel 2 trips in Oct because of bad storms.

On the East Cape I stay at a funky little resort in Los Barriles. Verdugos is very simple, family owned, serve breakfast and a boxed lunch and the rooms are clean and reasonable. Lot's of little local restaurants in walking distance. The big fancy resorts include meals, but I prefer to eat on my schedule and enjoy the local environment.

La Paz is slightly different because they have La Paz Bay, Muertos Bay and Isla Cervallo. Better opportunities for bottom fishing than the East Cape. You can fish them with Tailhunters, and Jonathan and Jill are super people. Here is their web link and you can get on Jon's weekly report so you know what is going on.

I could go on forever, but if you want more info you can PM me and we can set up a call. I have a multi-page write up on fishing Baja that I put together for somebody a few years ago that I can send you.

You should try to get to the Fred Hall Show in early March as both Verdugos and Tailhunters will have booths. Try to talk to Jonathan at Tailhunters and Marisol at Verdugos. Say hello from Sheldon in case I can't get to the show this year.
Thanks for the info Styxchaser. I really appreciate it. After all the information I’m receiving it does look like we are going to try to change the dates we head on down to los barriles. If I have anymore questions I won’t hesitate to ask