Saltwater Loreto YT Trip

t_dub

I remember when I used to fish.............
Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
First trip to Loreto. First yellowtail. Two days, 24 fish, average weight probably around 20#. Biggest was 30# for my neighbor Aaron. My biggest was 25#. Those are the two pictured. Had probably 3-4 others that were in the 25-30# range. Cookie cutter was 15-20#. Forgot my GoPro and forgot to take many pics. Was kinda busy at times. Were able to pick our days to coincide with the wind forecast and you can see in the video just how rough those days were. Water temp was a surprisingly cool 65 degrees. Fish were on a mix of live mackerel and Tady 4/0 yo-yo jigs. Pretty sure we did much better than the average boat. On the 2nd day, we got 15 but some boats in the very same area only picked up 1 or 2. First impression of a yellowtail is the perfect combo of a big ling and a tuna. The sheer power of a big 'ol ling heading back for the bottom at the speed of a tuna. A lot of endurance too. My 25# fish made 13 legit runs on probably 7# of drag. But you could work them up without them doing the endless tuna death circle. Very quickly one of my new favorite fish to catch. We'll be doing this trip every year for sure. Took a chunk in to one of the restaurants our guide recommended to cook up and dinner for two cost a whopping $13. Sashima, grilled and breaded with sides. North side of Isla Carmen if anyone has been down there before. Outside of the outstanding fishing, the unexpected highlight of the trip was the pod of dolphins playing in the bow wave of the boat. I almost could touch them from the bow.

EC35E457-6E2A-4C3A-8BEF-5C59B910C9E5_1_201_a.jpeg

DE7A7872-F516-45EB-A3E0-8A859444BFBD.jpeg

7B5298A7-9D8C-4F25-A777-2D6EB943D9C7.jpeg

56703688-8B1E-425D-8478-C272D355EE81.jpeg

Upvote 0

t_dub

Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
Won't let me upload the boat video. Just picture a 20' panga running in on glass.

hiway_99

Jan 3, 2013
bremerton, wa
Name
cory
Boat
26' northriver offshore "Fishster"
I'm headed there in July. Did you take your own reels or use boat gear? Trying to decide if I should take my own stuff down. Did you bring some back? If so how did you get it processed?

t_dub

Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
I'm headed there in July. Did you take your own reels or use boat gear? Trying to decide if I should take my own stuff down. Did you bring some back? If so how did you get it processed?
took my own stuff. mostly because i'm a lefty but partly because I love my Trevala/Avet set ups. and boat gear down there is a crap shoot.

Reactions: repo805

t_dub

Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat
20' Hewescraft Searunner
we brought back right about 140# worth of meat. two overweight coolers and a backpack cooler. Rafa took care of the processing for us but it isn't an ideal situation. he took the fish back to his place, filleted them then put the meat in ziplocks and kept it in his freezer for us. down side is instead of having portioned out pieces vacuum packed and frozen, you get 3-4 pieces stuffed into a ziplock and frozen together. he didn't charge us any extra so that was good but we may look at doing the processing ourselves next year and take down a cheap vacuum packer. seems like Loreto could really use an outfit that can meet the boats when they come in, collect their catches, take them back to their shop, process the fish, vacuum pack them then store them in a walk in until airport time. The Smokehouse in Los Barriles does that and it is well worth every penny you pay them.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Perfect box of iron and great fish! You suck.

good thing you lined out some fish processing👍

Stulege

Nov 3, 2018
Sequim,Wa
Name
Stu Sherman
Boat
Parker 18
Just got back from a charter out of Loreto, Nemenchas sport fishing, nice family run operation, will put you on the fish. I took my own gear but my guide had an excellent selection of rods and reels. Live bait, casting jigs and elec. down rigger. $250/day.

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Figured you would have fun, bet Liam won't ever forget to check the expiration on his passport. Hope Adel didn't get sick.