Loreto; Mag Bay; East Cape

sullyatty

May 16, 2006
Indiana
Name
sullyatty
Boat
n/a
My buddy and I from Indiana, as well as my cousin from San Francisco, made the trip to Baja California Sur October 11 - 18, 2020. We flew into Loreto, rented a car and just drove down the peninsula fishing in Loreto, Mag Bay and East Cape. We had never fished Mag Bay, so we focused our time at that destination.

LORETO

On Sunday, October 11, 2020, we flew into Loreto with all our fishing gear, and had absolutely no issues at the airport; they asked us to fill out a health questionnaire, took our temperature and we were on our way. We stayed just one night in Loreto at Hotel Oasis which is right on the beach. Great accommodations/nice hotel restaurant, and the Hotel Oasis coordinated our Panga for the next morning. We had a tank full of live sardines, and caught a variety of fish, including Dorado, roosterfish and leopard grouper, although we did have to “weed through” a significant amount of skipjack and needle fish which was still fun.

MAG BAY – MAG BAY OUTFITTERS

On the afternoon of Monday, October 12, 2020, we drove from Loreto to Mag Bay where we stayed with Mag Bay Outfitters in Adolfo Lopez Mateos from Monday October 12 – Friday October 16. We had an excellent time -- Bob Hoyt and Nancy Hoyt offer a very personalized experience at their Hotel Whale’s Tale Inn which is really in the nature of the bed-and-breakfast. Bob Hoyt is a wealth of information of the Mag Bay area, and just a very nice guy. Meals were excellent -- we had fresh shrimp and beef filet, complemented each night with our fresh catch of the day; one evening, Bob Hoyt went to a local oyster farm, and we had fresh oysters on the grill.

The fishing did not disappoint – there is just so much fish, both offshore and in the bay. We fished with Capt. Chris on the “Mar Gato” which was an excellent fishing platform for both the offshore fishing, as well as fishing the bay. Everyone in our group really likes to fish dorado, and we got our fill of Dorado every single day as we encountered many schools of hungry Dorado offshore. When offshore, we also caught Wahoo and yellowfin tuna; we also saw several jumping Marlin and lost a couple. Each afternoon, we returned and fished the bay for pargo, snook and grouper. We were fortunate to be able to fish on some of the better tides, at which time it was almost a fish on every cast on live sardines. Mag Bay is a huge region, and I left after 3 days feeling like we only scratched the surface of the fishing opportunities which the region offers. There is a lot of logistics to getting there with all the right gear (especially if you’re from Indiana), but we are definitely going back.

East Cape (Rancho Leonero)

On Friday October 16, we made the 5 hour drive from Adolfo Lopez Mateos to Rancho Leonero on the East Cape; it was a beautiful drive with a lot of diverse environments along the way. One of the most enjoyable parts of the trip was the drive in between fishing destinations.

Rancho Leonero is truly a great, authentic Baja destination with great accommodations and fishing. We were only able to fish on Saturday, but caught yellowfin tuna and Dorado after weeding through all the white skipjack and huge barrilete. There were ample supplies of sardina, and it seemed liked everyone caught fish.

Unfortunately, we had to fly back to reality on Sunday October 18.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

IMG_9101.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

pascuale

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
Awesome report! So you rented in Loreto and dropped off at the airport in San Jose? Or did you drive back to Loreto? Who did you rent from and how was that experience?

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
What a GREAT TRIP. Why haven't I thought of this? Thank you for sharing.

sullyatty

May 16, 2006
Indiana
Name
sullyatty
Boat
n/a
Awesome report! So you rented in Loreto and dropped off at the airport in San Jose? Or did you drive back to Loreto? Who did you rent from and how was that experience?
We dropped off at the airport in Cabo (SJD). We pre-booked through Alamo, and the cost for the entire week was $770 with everything included, including collision coverage and liability coverage. We could have spent less on a rental car, but rented a minivan so we could get all of our gear in the vehicle, which included coolers, gear bags and an 8.5 foot rod tube. We had plenty of space, and it was comfortable.

Driving through southern Baja was one of the funnest parts the vacation. There were really beautiful landscapes, especially the views of the Sea of Cortez driving south from Loreto and ascending the Sierra de Giganta. We felt safe, and confined our driving to the day time. We will do it again!

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9010.JPG

robmap

Nov 14, 2019
Irvine California
Name
Robert
Boat
None
My buddy and I from Indiana, as well as my cousin from San Francisco, made the trip to Baja California Sur October 11 - 18, 2020. We flew into Loreto, rented a car and just drove down the peninsula fishing in Loreto, Mag Bay and East Cape. We had never fished Mag Bay, so we focused our time at that destination.

LORETO

On Sunday, October 11, 2020, we flew into Loreto with all our fishing gear, and had absolutely no issues at the airport; they asked us to fill out a health questionnaire, took our temperature and we were on our way. We stayed just one night in Loreto at Hotel Oasis which is right on the beach. Great accommodations/nice hotel restaurant, and the Hotel Oasis coordinated our Panga for the next morning. We had a tank full of live sardines, and caught a variety of fish, including Dorado, roosterfish and leopard grouper, although we did have to “weed through” a significant amount of skipjack and needle fish which was still fun.

MAG BAY – MAG BAY OUTFITTERS

On the afternoon of Monday, October 12, 2020, we drove from Loreto to Mag Bay where we stayed with Mag Bay Outfitters in Adolfo Lopez Mateos from Monday October 12 – Friday October 16. We had an excellent time -- Bob Hoyt and Nancy Hoyt offer a very personalized experience at their Hotel Whale’s Tale Inn which is really in the nature of the bed-and-breakfast. Bob Hoyt is a wealth of information of the Mag Bay area, and just a very nice guy. Meals were excellent -- we had fresh shrimp and beef filet, complemented each night with our fresh catch of the day; one evening, Bob Hoyt went to a local oyster farm, and we had fresh oysters on the grill.

The fishing did not disappoint – there is just so much fish, both offshore and in the bay. We fished with Capt. Chris on the “Mar Gato” which was an excellent fishing platform for both the offshore fishing, as well as fishing the bay. Everyone in our group really likes to fish dorado, and we got our fill of Dorado every single day as we encountered many schools of hungry Dorado offshore. When offshore, we also caught Wahoo and yellowfin tuna; we also saw several jumping Marlin and lost a couple. Each afternoon, we returned and fished the bay for pargo, snook and grouper. We were fortunate to be able to fish on some of the better tides, at which time it was almost a fish on every cast on live sardines. Mag Bay is a huge region, and I left after 3 days feeling like we only scratched the surface of the fishing opportunities which the region offers. There is a lot of logistics to getting there with all the right gear (especially if you’re from Indiana), but we are definitely going back.

East Cape (Rancho Leonero)

On Friday October 16, we made the 5 hour drive from Adolfo Lopez Mateos to Rancho Leonero on the East Cape; it was a beautiful drive with a lot of diverse environments along the way. One of the most enjoyable parts of the trip was the drive in between fishing destinations.

Rancho Leonero is truly a great, authentic Baja destination with great accommodations and fishing. We were only able to fish on Saturday, but caught yellowfin tuna and Dorado after weeding through all the white skipjack and huge barrilete. There were ample supplies of sardina, and it seemed liked everyone caught fish.

Unfortunately, we had to fly back to reality on Sunday October 18.

View attachment 1219463

View attachment 1219465

View attachment 1219467

View attachment 1219470

View attachment 1219472

View attachment 1219473

View attachment 1219474

View attachment 1219475

View attachment 1219476

View attachment 1219477

View attachment 1219478
Nice! Is it catch and release on the bay at Mag bay? How much to charter a boat? Thanks

sullyatty

May 16, 2006
Indiana
Name
sullyatty
Boat
n/a
Nice! Is it catch and release on the bay at Mag bay? How much to charter a boat? Thanks
We brought back a lot of fish, including some caught out of the bay. The "Mar Gato" was $750 a day. You could get a panga for cheaper, but I would not want to go offshore in a panga. It's a about an hour and half boat ride out to the Thetis Bank from Adolfo Lopez Mateos, and we actually fished one day on part of the Ridge which was further than Thetis Bank; you are offshore in the open Pacific so you have to account for the possibility of some swell and chop, although we had good conditions during our trip.

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

Reactions: Cheech and robmap

robmap

Nov 14, 2019
Irvine California
Name
Robert
Boat
None
We brought back a lot of fish, including some caught out of the bay. The "Mar Gato" was $750 a day. You could get a panga for cheaper, but I would not want to go offshore in a panga. It's a about an hour and half boat ride out to the Thetis Bank from Adolfo Lopez Mateos, and we actually fished one day on part of the Ridge which was further than Thetis Bank; you are offshore in the open Pacific so you have to account for the possibility of some swell and chop, although we had good conditions during our trip.

View attachment 1220102

View attachment 1220103
Thank you

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
You got the whole baja sur experience in one trip. Looks like a blast.

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
You did it right and with some of the best in the region!

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
Mag Bay, is a special place, fished it last Thur, Fri., Sat.! Variety galore 3 types of Pargo (Snapper), Roballo (Snook), Grouper, Corbina, Bonefish, Wahoo and a few other fish.
Tight lines, bk