Loreto fishing 4/2 & 4/4 PB YT

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by fv1500, Apr 5, 2018.

1. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    In Loreto with the family for spring break. I booked a few days to fish with Pancho Barracuda on Mon 4/2and Wed 4/4.

We fished the north end of Catalan both days. It was a 2 hour boat ride both ways but well worth it. Temp. was 80 both days the wind never got above 8mph which made for a smooth full throttle no spill my Pacifico boat ride.

Monday I fished with two of my friends. We hooked and landed 7, #35 class fish all on the flyline #40 with 5/0 hooks. The YT seemed to key in on the larger sized mackerel. Oh and 1 Cabrillo. On the way back to the house we dropped one of our fish off at La Palapa and had them prep it Sashimi style in lemon and capers, breaded fried and sautéed in garlic. Came back a few hours later had a few margaritas to wash our fish down and it didn't disappoint.

Wed. we fished the same area this time it was just Pancho and I. I had to be back by 1 and only 3 hours to fish but we made the best of it. Again we went 7-7 this time on #35-40 YT. I had 4 and landed my PB #40 YT. So we fished from 8-11 and had the best 3 hours of fishing I’ve ever had in Loreto.

Both days we fished the incoming tide with majority of our fish come between 8-11 then things slowed dramatically. We did manage to scratch out one more fish when it slowed by dropping down to 25 flouro on Mon. Water temp was 68-70.

I have about 40lbs of filets to take home from Mon. so I let Pancho keep all the YT from Wed. so he could feed the less fortunate. We figured it was about 250lbs of fish that would feed about 15 families. Feels good to pay it forward.

Side note: Did some shore fishing in Loreto bay. Caught 12 schoolie Roosters on a 88 Sardine waxwing over the course of a few days. Also caught some small Cabrillo on a Anchovy LC around the rocks on Nopolo rock.

With 3 quality fish Mon. and 4 fish + a BP Wed., it's days like these is why I love to fish and keep coming back for more.

Loreto, until next time...
    Saludos.

IMG_2397.jpg IMG_2450 2.jpg IMG_2437.jpg IMG_2443.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Nice.

fv1500 likes this.
  3. Grandpa

Grandpa Old Guy

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Albemarle Express "Lily Rose"
    Francisco's THE MAN!
    First one out, last one in.
    Good fisherman.

fv1500 likes this.
  4. AndyJ

AndyJ Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Epic. Congrats on the PB yellowtail.

fv1500 likes this.
  5. mulegemike

mulegemike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    Good stuff looks like a great time! Glad the long run paid off congrats!

fv1500 likes this.
  6. J B

J B Frequent Flyer from the PNW

Name:
    J B
    Boat:
    SeaRay & Livingston
    Pancho is the man. The Barracuda always finds fish. Nice haul!

7. BAJA.DESERT.RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT Member

Name:
    DA RAT
    Boat:
    NONE
    hola,

contact info ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

8. ricogrande

ricogrande Member

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Vamoose
  9. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    the email is correct.

Cell: 011-52-1-613-137-9260

10. J B

Name:
    J B
    Boat:
    SeaRay & Livingston
    Glad to see him getting more business. There are other great captains down there too, but the last 2 we used (when Pancho was busy) never showed. Found out from others that one of them partied too hard the night before.

Always a pain waiting on the beach and watching the sun go up then turning back in after a no show.

11. moreof this

moreof this Newbie

Name:
    Randy G Dulong
    Boat:
    dontsink
    Yes, Pancho is the man!!! We have had him for 4 years now, always produces and lots of smiles. Going to work him in the 1st week of July this year again. Sounds like some nice yellowtail are around, hopefully the dorado are in this year.

12. J B

Name:
    J B
    Boat:
    SeaRay & Livingston
    Watch it. I'll be heading down in July and don't take my fishing dates. :)

I'm aiming for mid July so throw some really bad jokes Pancho's way before me so mine sound a little better.

13. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Does Pancho work out of the Loreto marina? We have been visiting the East Cape for many years, and we'll be taking our first trip to Loreto departing 5/19. We are staying more south, a bit closer to Puerto Escondido. Should I try to find a panga down at Puerto Escondido or just drive up to Loreto? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

14. J B

Name:
    J B
    Boat:
    SeaRay & Livingston
    Pancho is out of the Loreto marina. I'm not sure but I've never heard of him picking people up down South. Mainly it doesn't make sense from the Loreto marina if he needs to buy bait there, pick someone up down south, then head back up and out East to fish the effective morning period.

I've caught 90% of my yellowtail early in the morning then the bite dwindles off. Don't go with any captain says he'll pick you up/meet you a little later. You could even miss out on getting live bait from the marina. One time my wife and I had to sit in the marina for 45 minutes to get 5 live bait because our captain (not Pancho) was an hour late. Hurts being stuck there when the bite is on out in the water.

I've been picked up on the beach down South before and have driven up very early. Simple pros and cons. You get to get picked up from the beach down there, no driving, but it may be harder to find a good captain. I don't have any recommendations but I bet there are a few. Or, wake up earlier for the drive and get someone you know is good.

Best of luck! I'm heading down to Cabo at the same time so I'm hoping for some tight lines too.

Cheech likes this.
  15. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    What's on that avet reel?

16. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Hey JB, thank you for the help ^^^^. Sounds like it's well worth the short drive north to the harbor, so we'll plan around that. I'll email Pancho too. Have a great trip to Cabo.
    Jeff