Jimmyz

Jan 4, 2021
San Diego, CA
Name
Miguel
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301
I flew down to Loreto, BCS over the three day weekend to visit the folks who have retired and moved down there. During my visit, a family friend daughter offered to pay for a day of fishing for her Dad who’s Birthday happened to be on Sunday. He asked if I would like to go with him… who am I to let a buddy go fishing by himself? LOL

So on Sunday, Sept 5th we met up at the Marina in downtown Loreto to go fishing with a small outfit called “Rubio Sport Fishing”. We met up with the owners cousin who would be our guide for the day and are anxiously awaiting the sun to rise so that we can go out and start netting for sardines right outside the entrance of the break wall. It was interesting to see all the boats idling around waiting for the “Net Caster” to systematically jump from panga to panga to throw a cast net into the water and bring up plenty of 3-4 inch sardines for the bait tank. In one cast he got so many that it would have easily overloaded the 10 gallon bait tank, so we saved the remainder in a bucket to use as chum to keep the fish in the area when the fish are biting.

The target fish of the day was Dorado, from what the Captain told us, it’s a little late in the season for the big ones, but there are still a few decent ones hanging around. Well, we didn’t have to go too far, we set out north bound hugging the coast and traveled a little less than 5 miles. We were not more than 300 yards off the shore and we set up slow trolling live sardines. It wasn’t long before reels are singing, music to my ears… we pretty much stayed in this general vicinity and alternated between slow trolling sardines and fast trolling feathers which only yielded one out of our boat limit!

With the Kill bag full, cold Tacate beers came out and we made out way back to the port as we saw rain showers moving in offshore which picked up a little wind and chop, but nothing a 22ft panga couldn’t handle with ease.

Big one of the day:
I’m going to have to start making these three day weekend trips more often, just can’t beat Baja fishing trips.

Tight Lines and Cold Beers!!

LBCS1.jpg

LBCS2.jpg

LBCS3.jpg

LBCS5.jpg

LBCS6.jpg

LBCS7.jpg

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/video/pics/info Miguel.
    Nice load of Dorado! Epic Loreto fishing!! LOL

Reactions: Tifoso
    Jimmyz
    Jimmyz
    Thanks... can't wait to head back, looking to make another trip late October early November :cheers:
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish,WSB&More!
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    I flew down to Loreto, BCS over the three day weekend to visit the folks who have retired and moved down there. During my visit, a family friend daughter offered to pay for a day of fishing for her Dad who’s Birthday happened to be on Sunday. He asked if I would like to go with him… who am I to let a buddy go fishing by himself? LOL

So on Sunday, Sept 5th we met up at the Marina in downtown Loreto to go fishing with a small outfit called “Rubio Sport Fishing”. We met up with the owners cousin who would be our guide for the day and are anxiously awaiting the sun to rise so that we can go out and start netting for sardines right outside the entrance of the break wall. It was interesting to see all the boats idling around waiting for the “Net Caster” to systematically jump from panga to panga to throw a cast net into the water and bring up plenty of 3-4 inch sardines for the bait tank. In one cast he got so many that it would have easily overloaded the 10 gallon bait tank, so we saved the remainder in a bucket to use as chum to keep the fish in the area when the fish are biting.

The target fish of the day was Dorado, from what the Captain told us, it’s a little late in the season for the big ones, but there are still a few decent ones hanging around. Well, we didn’t have to go too far, we set out north bound hugging the coast and traveled a little less than 5 miles. We were not more than 300 yards off the shore and we set up slow trolling live sardines. It wasn’t long before reels are singing, music to my ears… we pretty much stayed in this general vicinity and alternated between slow trolling sardines and fast trolling feathers which only yielded one out of our boat limit!

With the Kill bag full, cold Tacate beers came out and we made out way back to the port as we saw rain showers moving in offshore which picked up a little wind and chop, but nothing a 22ft panga couldn’t handle with ease.

Big one of the day:
    I’m going to have to start making these three day weekend trips more often, just can’t beat Baja fishing trips.

Tight Lines and Cold Beers!!

View attachment 1317046

View attachment 1317047

View attachment 1317048

View attachment 1317049

View attachment 1317050

View attachment 1317051
    Great report!
    A couple of follow ups, if I may:

1. Where would you recommend that someone stay there?
    2. Cost of trip PP (via PM, if you would prefer)

Thank you!

Upvote 0