lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
Star reels yes back the drags all the out. Lever drags make sure the drag is disengaged.

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
ALWAYS,,,ALWAYS,,ALWAYS...........NEVER FORGET THIS ONCE YOU GET IN THE HABIT....YOU WON'T FORGET......... your reels will last many , many years...well if they are old school PENNS to start with:) your drags will thank you....

Reactions: Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin

one cast = one kill
May 16, 2012
San Diego / Baja
Name
Fred Garvin
Boat
U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
if you dont your drag washers and spacers will become 1 solid mass

ckster

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 8, 2009
SD
Name
Chris
Boat
F/V Rubber Ducky
Here's my wash down routine:

1 Tighten drags first and spray down with lube or salt off solution. (I use Getsome). This brings the salt "out" and the tightened drags keep the salt from going deeper into the reel for step 2.

2. Hose down reels with fresh water.

3. Dry thoroughly with towel, then loosen drags and tension.

4. Spray down liberally again with lube and spin the reel handle a bunch of times.

5. Put reel in reel cover (in gear) fully lubed.

Doing this, so far I've never had to have any of my salt water reels serviced. I've only had to have my baitcasters serviced (assuming because they aren't salt water worthy to begin with). I also tend to sell older reels and buy newer models every 2-3 years but when I sell my reels, the buyers always comment on how smooth my reels are.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
All the above is accurate, unless you happen to own a Tiburon SST reel; those should be stored with the lever in "strike" position.

mindbent

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
I've never herd of backing off the drag preset knob on a lever drag, freespool always. When I rinse my reels I keep them in the upright position so water doesn't go where it's not supposed to and I don't use high water pressure. Oh, don't forget to turn the clicker on so the spool doesn't spin around. It also helps keep the tensioner for the clicker from getting weak.