Loose Plier Wrap Turkshead?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod building Tutorials' started by RideHPD, Jan 14, 2018.

1. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Couldn't find anything using the search and hope this is the right place.

Started wrapping pliers for fun and while I can get just the wrap tight by pulling the tag through as you would finishing a guide wrap I cannot for the life of me get a turkshead tight so that it won't be able to rotate and loosen or slide off, no matter how many times I go through and pull slack out of every section. Also tried wrapping the entire length of the handle, pulling the tag end as far down as the turkshead would need to start and then tying it, but no luck. Any advice? Something I'm missing?

2. DPevin

DPevin Newbie

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    This is a no bullshit answer I swear....

TIGHTEN THE SHIT OUT OF IT.

I was having the same problem and the advice that was given to me was to tighten it til your fingers can't take it anymore. What I did was take one of those little screw drivers you use for eye glass frames and used it as a pick to get under the wraps then would pinch the line between my finger and the screw driver and just pull the shit outta it.

I also did mine with the tag ends of my wraps, not separate.

I found it helps to start it low on the tag end and shoot to have some overlap onto the wrap. Also, start it as small as you can possibly make it. That helps too. I layed my finger over the handle and started the turks head on my index finger about where it would end up being on the handle.

3. DPevin

DPevin Newbie

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak