No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
I watched the video on the lodge's website. They had a lot of trouble weighing it, and they show the numbers very slowly going up to the 481 that was finally settled on. They used one of the digital force couple type of hanging scales with remote readout. I thought those things were pretty instantaneous. I wondered, but still congratulate the gentleman on quite a feat.

I don't think you can infer anything from that Loc. Digital scales are not instantaneous, they take time to settle when weighing hundreds of pounds on a rocking platform. I've seen that routinely on the EXCEL scale weighing cows not only at sea but at the dock when the fish swings on a boom. Have seen the same thing at the dock on a 60' Hatteras at PV weighing a 301, on a certified Scale Master. Saw the same thing on a 445 at the Landing. That much weight swinging around is not like stepping on your bathroom scale at home.

The video is still there:

Reactions: TOTW
Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    When I was into this (1986 at Clarion) we used Pete Peterson life guard buoys, the hard kind with handles. As I recall they had about 35 lbs of lift. Terry Maas, for his 225# record, had two of them, at the end of 125' of tygon tubing with ski line run down the tube. His was not a breakaway system, as the rest of us used, and he though he had lost it all, as both floats rapidly disappeared into the abyss. He was sulking in the crows nest of the boat, the Majestic, when the buoy popped up, He went out there and did not use the boat to control the fish, so it counted.

I noticed on this spear fisherman's rig he has a version of a Riffe real. They hold about 150 of 500 lb nylon, and can be rigged to breakaway. He also had a barbed spear, rather than a slip tip. Interesting. Would love to know the details.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I don't think you can infer anything from that Loc. Digital scales are not instantaneous, they take time to settle when weighing hundreds of pounds on a rocking platform. I've seen that routinely on the EXCEL scale weighing cows not only at sea but at the dock when the fish swings on a boom. Have seen the same thing at the dock on a 60' Hatteras at PV weighing a 301, on a certified Scale Master. Saw the same thing on a 445 at the Landing. That much weight swinging around is not like stepping on your bathroom scale at home.

The video is still there:
    Good to know. Thanks.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    My sweet grandma is 93. She is not as thick as she once was.

Speaking of ligers. I found out about ligers. From the movie, napolean dynamite :D

I think the commercial dude jimmy bun (sp). Got a mid 4 near the bank, at least a decade ago. I could be totally wrong. Its the internet :D

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Couple of pics for comparison purposes.
    First a 360+ Yellowfin from '09
    Second a 360+ Bluefin from Early October this year.

RR6-14-09MikeAshford362YF.jpg 363.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hey Steve... I know that top picture guy.
    I was gonna give it a like, but I’m afraid I know of him, too.
    He was my roommate on that trip. And I thought I could talk...

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC
    Name
    Carl Z
    Boat
    The Caribbean fish is definitely heavier in the front end and overall much longer.

Anyway you're all forgetting the Ecuadoran Monster.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I have seen them pair up. But they meter spread out not like a school.

Upvote 0