Looks like the last trip of the year this weekend!

Black Rose

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth
www.blackrosefishing.com
Name
Rich
Boat
25, C-Hawk, Black Rose
Yep, with all regards to the rest of the country, our season up here is done...The winds, the cold, the seasonal closure of cod to drive that last nail into the coffin....So, with 5kt winds predicted for this weekend, I think it's time to burn some gas. Our plan is to get the boat on top of a school of pollock and fill the freezer. I can't wait. Those fish can fight and taste great...and no worms like cod. Plus, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on there being a big porbeagle shark on the boat by the end of the day. I'll have a shark rod in the water the whole time. This is the time of year for them...We have already put three of them to rest this year, with the biggest pushing 400#. Big, fat shark. Tasty too! If we get some mackerel, I want to instill in my kids a respect for the simple things...whole mackerel on the grill! And, if the mackerel are around, we'll stock up a few for my Sicilian friends in NY....they get mad at me every time I tell them I use them for shark chum! Well, I'm rambling, but it's almost winter up here and there is a deer with my name on it. See you on the water, Smiling!

Capt. Rich Antonino, Black Rose Fishing Charters, with photos to follow this trip!

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
is the yankee fleet still running boat,s out of cape ann, i fished their back in the late 70,s when cod fishing was great,miss it some time,s 3/4 day for 15 buck,s.

Black Rose

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth
www.blackrosefishing.com
Name
Rich
Boat
25, C-Hawk, Black Rose
is the yankee fleet still running boat,s out of cape ann, i fished their back in the late 70,s when cod fishing was great,miss it some time,s 3/4 day for 15 buck,s.
Yes, I think that everyone has fished on those boats. Something great about party boat fishing. Great memories. Not $15 anymore....that's when fuel was about 50 cents a gallon....I think that the full day trips are $65 now...it's still a great deal. Lots of tangles, though. Great improvements in tackle (though not necessarily in the rental dept!)....braid makes it 1,000 times more fun...until the tangles... Ah, the 70's.....flounder fishing in Quincy and smelt fishing in the winter.....with bamboo poles...

Bada Bing

Instigator General
Apr 30, 2003
PB, CA
Name
JMH
Boat
Always a good one
Yes, I think that everyone has fished on those boats. Something great about party boat fishing. Great memories. Not $15 anymore....that's when fuel was about 50 cents a gallon....I think that the full day trips are $65 now...it's still a great deal. Lots of tangles, though. Great improvements in tackle (though not necessarily in the rental dept!)....braid makes it 1,000 times more fun...until the tangles... Ah, the 70's.....flounder fishing in Quincy and smelt fishing in the winter.....with bamboo poles...
Ya'll are making me home sick, being a Cape Anner myself. Catching flounder as a kid on my dads little red Starcraft in Beverly harbor, lobster diving in Rockport and bluefish/striper fishin' on the Yankee Fleet. Good Times. Point of interest. The whale watch boat "Privateer" currently out of Seaforth was brought over here from Gloucester just a couple years ago and is still running strong. As a kid in gradeschool we had a field trip on that boat and now some 35 years later I've worked on that boat here in SD. Funny how things come around.

sl.jpg

sl.jpg

Reactions: Northeastfshman

Black Rose

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth
www.blackrosefishing.com
Name
Rich
Boat
25, C-Hawk, Black Rose
[SIZE=+1]SAT[/SIZE]
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS
1 FOOT OR LESS.

Yep, get out there and go fishing. I looked in the freezer and have two more buckets of chum....It's not too late.. Two years ago we got into blue sharks on November 18th.....so, time to bring the chum, get the jigging rods, and get started on some pollock, haddock, and shark. I'd love to end the year with a porbeagle and freezer full of pollock.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
i still talk to a friend that live,s in chicopee once a month and he heard that the cod are alot smaller then we caught back then , we would throw back all the one,s that were less then 15 pound,s i think my biggest was like 56 pd the good old day,s, after being out here in so cal, for 35 year,s and fishing yellow, and tuna ,with my youngest boy, and buddy,s alot diffrent but i still miss jigging the cod............ and( chowder ) big time

Black Rose

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth
www.blackrosefishing.com
Name
Rich
Boat
25, C-Hawk, Black Rose
The last trip was a great success. Three "Rich Antonino's" on the boat, as I took my son and Dad. I also had my first mate and cameraman... We bailed fish all day. Mostly pollock, but a lot of red fish, haddock, mackerel, and yes, cod. The cod were in 79' of water amongst the mackerel...both were so thick and the cod were nice sized, for 2013. That is to say 22-26" long. No 15# fish at all this year. Not one! The devastation that the fishery went through for two straight winters of "catch shares" fishing wiped them out. It's a crime. Who ever thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the 800# per day quota for commercial fishermen in lieu of an straight annual quota with no daily limits? Great, wait until the fish are schooled on a sand bar and drag them until they're all gone. It sickens me.

But, our season is done. No sharks on this trip, but we tried. We always had a shark rod out and went through a bucket of chum to no avail. See you in cyberspace!

Capt. Rich Antonino, Black Rose Fishing Charters