Looks like round 3 didn't work either...

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by bbordeau, May 12, 2016.

1. bbordeau

bbordeau Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Storm Trooper
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/director/pugetsound_salmon_statement.html

Statement from WDFW Director Jim Unsworth on Puget Sound fisheries

May 12, 2016

OLYMPIA – Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Director Jim Unsworth today issued the following statement regarding Puget Sound-area fisheries:

“As you know, state fishery managers and treaty Indian tribes have been unable to agree on this year’s salmon and steelhead fisheries in Puget Sound.

“Without an agreement, the state and tribes are in the unprecedented position of separately obtaining the federal authorization needed to open fisheries under the U.S. Endangered Species Act (ESA). The previous federal approval, which authorized both tribal and non-tribal fisheries, expired April 30.

“As a result, effective May 1, WDFW closed state recreational and non-tribal fisheries in the Puget Sound region while fishery managers work toward securing federal authorization. Salmon and steelhead fishing is closed in Puget Sound marine areas, and all fishing is closed in several lakes and sections of many rivers that flow into Puget Sound.

“Closed waters include several lakes where salmon and steelhead migrate, including Lake Washington, Lake Sammamish, Lake Union, Monte Cristo Lake, Barney Lake, and Lake Cushman. A complete list of affected waters is available on our website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/pugetsound_salmon_update/.

“Closing fisheries in the Puget Sound region was not a step we took lightly. WDFW understands the hardship this places on communities that rely on recreational and commercial fisheries. We also understand the frustration of sport anglers, some of whom gathered to protest tribal fisheries that began last week in parts of Puget Sound.

“Some people have suggested that anglers should break the law and go fishing in closed areas, or interfere with tribal fisheries. We strongly disagree. Such actions would do far more harm than good. And, in fact, the state agrees that tribal fisheries in Puget Sound this spring will not threaten ESA-listed fish stocks.

“For those reasons, I urge everyone to follow current rules and to avoid interfering with tribal fisheries. Breaking state fishing laws or interfering with treaty fishing would only complicate the process of opening state fisheries and most certainly would impair our ability to work with the tribes in the future.

“The breakdown in this year’s negotiations demonstrates that we need to improve the process of setting salmon seasons. We support co-management of the state’s shared resources and believe the state and tribes are far more effective when we work together to conserve fish and wildlife and their habitat. WDFW is committed to working with the tribes to improve the process and help ensure our state’s resources are sustainable for future generations.”

2. sulla

sulla Torrance Ca

Name:
    Sulla
    Boat:
    Party Boat Near You
    Why would the Indians agree to anything when they don't need to. As a matter of fact by not agreeing to anything it seems to me they get the fisheries all to themselves. Pretty raw deal and I think those who have allowed this situation to get to where it is should be held accountable.

3. JTC

JTC Too Sirius

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Where is the outrage Mr Unsworth? Your statement makes it sound like them fishing and us not is no big deal and nobody should be upset!

4. ☆THRASHER☆

☆THRASHER☆ Thrashing Some Rods.

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    I guess I'll just bite my tongue

5. FINATIC 21

FINATIC 21 MAD SALMON

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse
    Where are the friggin Feds ... As Mr. Unsworth said again ..! THEY DONT HAVE A PERMIT !!!!!

6. tambs

tambs Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
    Pitchforks and torches.

7. TunaHore

TunaHore World Champion Boat Ho

Name:
    Tuck
    Boat:
    Carolina Dory
    F U C K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. trophymac

trophymac Newbie

Name:
    Colin
    Boat:
    21' Thunderjet OS
    Saddle up boys its time to play …… never mind

Brian D and bbordeau like this.
  9. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Where is my 50% of this so called spring fisheries.......WTF

Admin Leave likes this.
  10. bigdood

bigdood I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Nauti Dawg
    Maybe it's just the beers I had tonight but that release reads like someone sold us out

11. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
    If they truly believe that shit when the tribes are using non-selective gill nets, why the fuck won't they let sportfishers use selective methods for harvesting?

Unsworth sounds like he's got battered-wife syndrome. That or Stockholm syndrome.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  12. Kingcg1990

Kingcg1990 Member

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    Kenner vision 1902
    No need to. Let her rip!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13. FWilliams

FWilliams Newbie

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    21 ft arima hardtop
    Same bullshit different day

14. Mad Impulse

Mad Impulse Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    20' Thunderjet
    " WDFW is committed to working with the tribes to improve the process and help ensure our state’s resources are sustainable for future generations." BULL SHIT!

Waterdog~ likes this.
  15. FISHNBRAD

FISHNBRAD Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    17' skiff, Work skiff 16' willie drift boat
    Director Unsworth held his ground and did not take a bad/unfair deal I applaud the WDFW and Director Unsworth for standing strong and demanding sound fair fisheries with conservation in mind.. With poor expected returns, this is the year to make a stand and that has happened. You all would have belly ached if the WDFW would have taken the shitty offers that was given to us. I'm as mad as the next guy as i fish the sound 3 to 4 days a week and i spend 7 days a week along with several others who are trying to trying to improve fishing for the rest of you. If you don't like how things are going get involved instead of going on line and slamming the WDFW when they have done a great job with what they had to work with ie poor returns and broken NOF process.

16. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Brad; the state is Being PC in their press release. I do agree that what the Director is doing just not with his press release wording. The Tribes are playing hard baseball while he is playing softball. Not helping much when the media is and will be in the Tribes back pocket due to the money they have for advertising.

Elkfins, Swede, Jeffsk7 and 1 other person like this.
  17. bbordeau

bbordeau Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Storm Trooper
    I think when you read the statement, you've gotta read between the lines. He's standing his ground while leaving the door open to negotiations. This is a smart move considering the way the system works. This is indeed the right year to do it since the return data is not good so no matter what, there will be a limited fishery. Personally, I wish I could work directly on this but I've got a day job and need to rely on both our community and politicians to fix this. Someone asked what they can do -

1. Write, email, or call your representatives - they are very responsive. Many of them may not even know this is an issue. When you do, be professional. If you can't, people post copies of their own letters here so you can do the same.

2. Inform yourself. I see a lot of cross talk on how this process goes and to be honest, I'm fairly in the dark too. I read what is available, get to meetings where I can and listen to what I hear. Truth is, when you're setting a limit in Puget Sound based on a creek bed in the middle of nowhere that no one's heard of - it's gotta be complicated.

3. Expect incremental outcomes. Its important in any negotiation to have high expectations but you also need to take the little wins where you can. That's what generates momentum. No, Patty Murray isn't going to drop everything to goto D.C. and knock on the door to the Supreme Court and overturn Boldt. But I can appreciate the fact that she responded to my email. That means at the bare minimum, she invested either her time or her staffer's time to respond. Which is more time than she spent on the issue last year. Believe it or not, that's a small win.

We're lucky to have the community we do. We've got guys like Ron and Nelly that put themselves out there making huge sacrifices of time to help generate support, organize efforts and get this into the open. We're working under a broken process however and we've got to start somewhere to fix it. Even if that start is just a few words on some esoteric website.

Thanks
    Brian

18. FISHNBRAD

FISHNBRAD Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    17' skiff, Work skiff 16' willie drift boat
    I hear ya goat but he still has to work with them and in this politically correct state we live in how long would he last if he didn't candy coat it? He also has to work with them to revamp the NOF process, My press release would read a whole lot different

19. JTC

JTC Too Sirius

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    It s not that I disagree with WDFW for not taking the deal. The part that rubs me wrong is the statement and press that make it sound like no big deal that they are fishing without a permit and we are not.there should be outrage that they are breaking the law and we are not.

goatram and CAM38 like this.
  20. bbordeau

bbordeau Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Storm Trooper
    Think of it like this. Unsworth put in the public record in a very subtle but permanent manner that one side subverted NOAA's authority while the state did not. It's important to document that when you have to negotiate with that same authority. That's how you gain the high ground.

Brian