Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
No. Usual catch of those is about 100 per person. Obviously depends on how much you want to work for them, some people get 50, some people get 200, etc. It's about 3 to 4 fish to make a pound so we're talking about maybe 20 to 30 pound for every 100 fish.

It's more work than rock fishing, and less fun. But there are people who can't get enough of them, so they go.

Upvote 0

princefredo

May 23, 2010
Lakewood, Ca
Name
alfredo
Boat
13” Whaler, 6DEUCE (my first ship CV-62)
Wow, no sculpin? That's my usual go-to this time of year. Actually hoping to jump on a boat to get some this weekend.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Straight off Dana a mile out there are shitloads of those bastardst. They have some parasites on em that immediately try to attach to you. It's freaky.

They are great fried to a crisp. Similar to trout.

I ain't hopping on a sporty to get to them though. No way!!!

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
I must be doing something wrong -- I can't figure out how to avoid all the little bones without spending more calories dissecting it than I get eating it. I guess it could be great for anyone on a diet.

Scale, fin, cut from back of head to ass. Seasoned flour, fry on both sides. Cool for a few minutes. Use a fork to peel whole side from carcass. Flip over and do the same.

Reactions: MYNomad
Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I must be doing something wrong -- I can't figure out how to avoid all the little bones without spending more calories dissecting it than I get eating it. I guess it could be great for anyone on a diet.

Use a flat knife or a butter knife to take off the meat on one side, it just falls apart for you. Then, just lift the spine up and out, and you got the other side waiting for you flat on your plate. The best parts are the tails and the fins on either side of the fish.

When i eat these(which is not often), i clean and wipe off all the green slime with a paper towel, add salt and pepper, then flour, deep fry them in canola oil. Make sure your oil is nice and hot before dropping them in. Leave it in there for a good amount of time, and dont touch it too much, or itll fall apart in the fryer.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
and you can eat a lot of the small bones on this fish

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Sorry, but I'd rather that the lings and rockfish eat them and get bigger than the hassle of preparing, cooking, and then picking through them.

And how long can that kind of carnage last before making an impact on the sand dab population and the other fish that feed on them?

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Sorry, but I'd rather that the lings and rockfish eat them and get bigger than the hassle of preparing, cooking, and then picking through them.

And how long can that kind of carnage last before making an impact on the sand dab population and the other fish that feed on them?

The day to day numbers may look impressive, but it is very, very hard to argue that they'd be over fished in southern California when 1) very few boats target them 2) most of those boats can't go out every day, because very few people want them and 3) they're only targeted during the two months during which rock fish are closed.

I know of only one boat in the Orange County, Los Angeles, and Long Beach area that targets sand dabs specifically during the winter. Same with the Channel Islands. Even if they get thousands of sand dabs per trip, it's unlikely they'll get more than 100,000 over the course of these two months.

Unfortunately I don't have specific numbers for the amount of sand dabs in California, although numbers I've seen indicate a population in the tens of millions. I doubt 100,000 can do anything to their population. That's about 10% of the rock fish we take every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
For those who do not like Sand Dabs and Sand Dab fishing . . .
Catch 10 or so, keep them alive in the bait tank, and let them get their whatever back after being reeled up for hundreds of feet. Then . .
If you drop a LIVE one down on your favorite Lingcod spot they will FN hammer them!

Reactions: Steelhead1
Upvote 0