Lookout for floating dinghy

Ripshreader

Dec 1, 2020
Newport Beach
Name
James Malm
Boat
J-29
$200 reward for safe return to mainland!

During Thanksgiving night Santa Ana winds ripped my 8 foot West Marine inflatable dinghy from behind my sailboat at the east end of Catalina Island.

The last known location of dinghy was reported on Saturday November 28th at 1:24 pm

N 33 05.736

W 118 23.826

Report was sent to Coast Guard of location with attached photo.
IMG_1486.JPG

Tin Pangas

Skipper
Aug 28, 2010
Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
Name
Kevin
Boat
37 Tollycraft
too bad they just took a pic. they should have picked it up and collected the 200 from you. well it was between cat and sci so maybe washed ashore of sci

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
too bad they just took a pic. they should have picked it up and collected the 200 from you. well it was between cat and sci so maybe washed ashore of sci
One time, I came upon a derelict dinghy (rowboat) and dutifully called it in to the USCG. I was happy to help but they wanted all sorts of identifying information and any indication that it had been manned (vs someone fell overboard), including the condition of the painter. Interestingly, they did not ask me to take it aboard.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Sorry about losing your dinghy but Santa Ana's at Catalina are never good. Best to wait it out on the back side.

I towed in this one into the Isthmus over the summer. Navigational hazard! :D

DSCN1754.JPG

RuckTard

Jul 27, 2014
Name
chad
Boat
6'2" surfboard
hypothetical - this dinghly floats away in the middle of the night. is lost at sea for a couple days then found by someone. is the whole "finders keepers" language about lost items in the ocean actually true (aside from ethics)?

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
hypothetical - this dinghly floats away in the middle of the night. is lost at sea for a couple days then found by someone. is the whole "finders keepers" language about lost items in the ocean actually true (aside from ethics)?
Not quite. You have a lien for the value of your salvage services. One of the factors is how much expense did you incur and how much risk did you take. A professional salvor gets to include amortization of his specialized equipment. An recreational boater has no costs in that regard. If you found it floating (not aground, etc.), didn't need to pump it out and merely hooked a tow line to it and then took it back to where you were going anyway, the lien is going to be minimal. And in any event, lien is not title. You need to go through that whole process. Keeping it without getting title is at least possession of stolen property.

Reactions: jrodda

Hooops

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
right of passage losing a dinghy in tow or on mooring

RuckTard

Jul 27, 2014
Name
chad
Boat
6'2" surfboard
Not quite. You have a lien for the value of your salvage services. One of the factors is how much expense did you incur and how much risk did you take. A professional salvor gets to include amortization of his specialized equipment. An recreational boater has no costs in that regard. If you found it floating (not aground, etc.), didn't need to pump it out and merely hooked a tow line to it and then took it back to where you were going anyway, the lien is going to be minimal. And in any event, lien is not title. You need to go through that whole process. Keeping it without getting title is at least possession of stolen property.

good info thanks for that. i've found a floating inflatable inside the harbor before and reported it to fire dept who came and towed it away but always wondered if i should have upgraded! haha

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Your CF numbers and tag will end up on a panga coming north filled with vaccine vials.
Or one of the subs the smugglers are using... A sub with CF numbers, nothing sus about that!

Ripshreader

Dec 1, 2020
Newport Beach
Name
James Malm
Boat
J-29
I guess the inflatable has increased in value due to the added contents! Happy to pay more for safe return.
Thanks for the fun post. Never a dull moment with you guys.