IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
Hi guys I'm looking for some help. I'm looking to update my electronics on my 17 ft center console. I've been looking at the Raymarine A78 vs Lowrance gen 2 HDS 7 touch. If you have any pros or cons it would help me out. I've also thought about the Raymarine Dragonfly 7?

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
Hey Jimmy, I had used Furuno stuff for many years and was very happy with it other than the chart plotter was sooooo slooooow. Anyhow, since then, Furuno and pretty much all of the manufactures have gone to digital processing on their sonars which has pretty much made them more like computers. This means that as computer processors have gotten better and the manufacturers have gotten better software designers the industry has exploded and IMHO they all are pretty good, and will continue to leap-frog each other, coming out with new features and faster computer chips. The only draw back I can see right now is the cost of the transducers that are capable of utilizing these new technologies. There are plusses and minuses for all of the units, but I think Garmin is on top right now. Give Gil Travis a shout, he really enjoys educating on the technologies and units available.

1 800 925-0341
[email protected]

Mike

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
Lowrance gen 2 HDS 7 all the way.... you will have a faster learning curve and I personally like the way the menus are set up... and if you don't like the standard menus you can customize them to your liking! but that is just my 2c!

Upvote 0

out679

Aug 7, 2014
Name
kennedy
Boat
Sailboat
I think you need to change your Furuno stuff, you need to upgrade it. Or if you want find another one, :)

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2004
Yucaipa, CA/La Paz, BCS
Name
Alan
Boat
Parker 2310 WA - Cortez Dreamer
I am also looking to upgrade. I was really interested in the HDS8 Gen 2 but now I see the Simrad NSS Evo2 has very similar features but Structure Scan and CHIRP is already included in the package.

Upvote 0