Looking to re-power my Parker 2310! Anyone have some good intell on what the best go to engine is?

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Anyone have any recommendations on getting the best outboard? Cost,Maintenance,fuel savings and power are a big part of my decision!
Thanks for your help BD!

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
U watched Local Knowledge on TV?
Those e-techs looks bitchin on the center console they are pimping!
500 hours till first service!

Upvote 0

KNOT HOME

Fuel User
Nov 5, 2010
Ventura, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
Parker 2310 - "Knot Home"
Does yours have a 225 on it now?

Mine does and at times I feel underpowered when loaded down with ice and fish ...

Id look into a 250 or 300 hp...... the only drawback....Most cables will be have to be switched out as they use a different type....

Another consideration is the weight differences.... We all know parkers are like the kardashians... ASS Heavy!

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If your Parker is ass heavy, go with an Etec G2! They are probably the best on the market as it stands today, however ugly they are.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I just repowered my 23'6" CC from a Yammmie F250 to a new F300. New Binnacle, smart gauges and a new main power cable from selector switch to motor and some other related small adjustments. The difference is amazing. I could not be happier with the results. Also, the new F300 is about 60 lbs lighter than the older F250s. Whatever motor you decide on, they are all quality products, but I agree with 45king, GO BIG, the biggest your hull rating allows.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Go with the bigger hp. I am partial to yamaha, but realistically, they are all nice.
Most models are the same weight between a 225 and 300. Go with the max allowed by the manufacturer. Insurance won't cover if you are overpowered.
This isn't a speed thing either. The higher hp motor actuall gets better fuel economy because it isn't working as hard at cruise speed. And because it isn't working as hard, you will likely get a little more longevity out of it.
Another thing to think about is your bolt pattern. Mercury is different than most others, so if you don't want to drill new holes, make sure the new is compatible.
I also decided that I will never do another outboard repower without adding a hydraulic jack plate. I added the "bob's machine shop" four inch setback one to my last repower and the difference was amazing. Allows you to completely fine tune the motor for the conditions. Cost about $1200 for parts and it also allows me to change lower unit oil in the water.

Upvote 0

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455836240.291104.jpg

Drooling over the f300

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
If you want to do it right the first time, you have one choice. Go F300 with all fly by wire controls. Do not believe that all the engines are the same. The new Etecs look pretty cool and aal of that two stroke spunk but they are two strokes and you will have to do the oil tank thing, and that is a drag. Two strokes are dinosaurs. I did the homework believe me, and I had to make this very same decision. My F300 was the correct choice. A blemmed anvil is stil an anvil....

Reactions: catalin
Upvote 0

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
The F300 looks good but I think it requires too much maintenance! Plus the E-Tec has more power and torque!

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Went with this exact combo, 4.2 Yamaha with fly by wire controls. Boat used to top out at 32mph with an Evinrude 200. Now she will run at 50mph. We saw 3.5 mpg @ 36mph this summer in perfect conditions. Completely different boat now.

Couldn't be more pleased with the combo.

Reactions: sueno
Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Buy the motor at a dealer in Florida, ship it for $400 and save a few thousand on tax. Install it yourself. Fly by wire motors are easy to install.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
The F300 looks good but I think it requires too much maintenance! Plus the E-Tec has more power and torque!
I have done all the maintenance on this engine and it is straight forward and pretty easy. I have owned a few large OB's in my time and I really do not see the difference in maintenance. There will be more attention to detail when it comes time to set valve clearance, but that does not take super human skills either. This F300 is by far a brute and the engineering at this point is superb. Love the fly by wire and it is so quiet that I have to look for the water pump flow to make sure it is on when at idle. At 4K RPM it has a wonderful note that never changes pitch. A lot of grunt.

Upvote 0

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
Yeah nice they say better fuel economy..... Better than what. I guess older 2 strokes. Guys ought to be in politics. They do not get better economy than a 4 stroke especially when you add cost of oil.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Some of that oil cost 50 bucks a gallon!
Yes, yes it does. I had a 225 Optimax and it started getting weird if you did not run "Opti" oil. Then my fuel capacity was larger than my oil tank so many times on a long trip I would be out there refilling my oil tank in the rollers and having to carry a couple of gallons of oil on board at all times. Also, there is the oiling system that is incorporated on each engine model and there are many. Just another sub system to go wrong and they do for a variety of reasons........

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
Some of that oil cost 50 bucks a gallon!
yes but when you spread that over 200 gallons of fuel and that yamalube is $10 +/- per quart... and you can find the XD-100 for $30 +/- a gallon easily... it ends up being a lower cost per hour for the evinrude... and not to mention that the yami needs 89 octane as well

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
This is getting stupid. Whether your putting in some $30/gal xd-100 into an E-tec or running RingFree additive in your yamaha fuel (which you should be) is starting to nickle and dime. Regardless of what the manufactures say about maintenance, if you regularly use your motor and put wear and tear on it, you will be doing maintenance. It is a boat, and it will cost you money. Both motors have their strong points and weak points. I have either owned or ran both the F-300 and the new G-2 Evinrude. Both are nice, quiet, fuel efficient. The G-2 is newer and have first hand experience with the fact that, like all new engine models, the dealers dont have a knowledge base yet to troubleshoot the "quirks" that will pop up. My yamaha was the same way, even two years after the intro of the 4.2l the dealers still didnt have key info from the factory. Factories love to get the product to the market, then worry about the support chain after the fact. With the G-2 accesories being so different than others, it is going to take the dealers a while.
Don't watch the stupid videos of boats pulling each other around unless you plan on doing tug of war with your buddies.
Get out and talk to Owners, talk to local dealers. If you have an honest, local, and favorite dealer and they work on Yamaha, then get that one. If they work on Evinrude, then maybe that is best.
They are all nice and all have or will have their problems, so pick one with the best support network. Is the cost of oil really an issue? I put in a $22 bottle of Yamaha Ring Free everytime I filled 130 gallons.
Besides, when you go fishing and $50 worth of live bait rolls in the bait tank, do you stop getting bait or switch brands?

Upvote 0

yellowtime

Jun 30, 2007
ventura
Name
corey
Boat
2003 parker 2520
I'd stay away from those new Etec's. Do your research on them first before considering. I know a mechanic that has only nightmares with a pair of these on a Davis. I'd stick with Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha. I repowered my Parker 2520 with a new Yamaha F300 and have had no issues and it already has 1000 hours. It felt underpowered at first until I got the right prop on it. I'm running it at 3700-4200 rpms now at 20-25 kts depending on conditions. 1.5-2.0 mpg. Used to have a F225 that wasn't enough power but put 3800 hours on it. Blew it because was always running 5000 rpm to stay on plane.

Upvote 0