Looking to get a speargun and reel...

Oct 9, 2009
San Clemente, CA 92672
Name
Titties
Boat
DD, homemade, titties
Hi all,
Currently I am looking into getting a speargun and reel but not sure what kind to get, I have heard ups and downs with many speargun companies and want to get opinions of what would best suit me. I do about 98% freediving from shore and on rare occasions go out locally on my buddies skiff. I am looking for a gun that would be good for calico's-white sea bass. (preferably wood stock). I was doing a lot of research lately but haven't come to a conclusion. Any advice/opinions would be a lot of help.
Thanks,
Mike

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Take a look at the JBL Elite series. I never thought I would actually suggest a JBL but I've heard really good things about their new Elite series guns. They have a Kitto M6 trigger which is one of the very few 3 stage triggers developed for spear guns. It's a buttery smooth release.

You would do some good to head over to Spearboard.com and sign up as well. Once you get an account, use the search function extensively and you'll be able to answer most questions that you may have. There is a gentleman over there by the name Bill McIntyre who lives there in San Clemente who would more than likely be very willing to help you out getting rigged up and ready to go. He's a great guy who always helps out new spearos.

Good luck!, and post up a report over here once you get wet! We don't care if you get a fish, the stories are where it's at!! LOL

Oct 9, 2009
San Clemente, CA 92672
Name
Titties
Boat
DD, homemade, titties
Thanks for the tips, was considering the JBL Elite sawed off rather than the original 60"+ Elite, heard they re-designed the trigger mechanism and getting this feedback is leaning me towards it more and more. Thanks again and hopefully will have a post up with some kills pretty soon :)

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
find an old spearfisherman and pick his brain of join a club and watch the old guys and copy them!

Oct 9, 2009
San Clemente, CA 92672
Name
Titties
Boat
DD, homemade, titties
unfortunately havent got my gun yet :( financial crisis right now, but would the 53" sawed off be able to handle a white sea bass? or am i better off with the 65" elite from jbl? just didnt want overkill for shore dives...

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
For shore diving the 53" is fine as long as the hip load extension is not part of the 53". Not sure how JBL measures there guns.

Oct 9, 2009
San Clemente, CA 92672
Name
Titties
Boat
DD, homemade, titties
For shore diving the 53" is fine as long as the hip load extension is not part of the 53". Not sure how JBL measures there guns.

ya im not positive on how the measurement is done for their guns, i think i am gonna just go for the 65" to have for when i go out to catalina/san clemente island (hopefully soon).