Looking to gain experience

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
I’m a young angler 20 yrs old I’m looking to make my passion my profession I’m am somewhat familiar to some fishing terms techniques but am looking to further my knowledge
I have the drive to learn from experienced anglers

this post is for those looking for a dedicated, hardworking, fast learning, great person to be around in their tackle shop, as a deckhand or any other jobs out there where I can gain knowledge first hand
I appreciate your time

-asael

Reactions: gimme

Capt.C.Delany

Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
About May start going down to the docks and asking around on the sportboats. It will probably take a few times, they have to get to know you. Offer to pinhead a few trips, but go above and beyond helping out. Scrub between moves, organize the sacks etc.

Be ready to work your ass off, reliability is absolutely key to keeping a job on a sportboat. if you no-show, your out., knowledge can be taught, reliability is solely on you.

Probably want to get some experience on the 1/2 & 3/4 day boats first before you jump feet first into the overnight/tuna game, You can build a good foundation on those boats, especially in the customer service area.

The best piece of advice I can offer, you always have to remember that being a deckhand is a customer service position, not a fishing position. To give you some examples, one Captain I worked under would not let his deckhands fish unless they got permission from him and it was super slow, when permission was given they had to fish above the gate, that same Captain had a rule, if the toilet paper was under half a roll, it was to be replaced. The heads were checked and washed out if needed with the bow hose every 2-3 hours. Things like these set certain operations apart from the rest of the fleet.

Good Luck! Keep at it, you will find something.

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
I’m fully aware that it’s not a fishing trip but either way I love being on the water helping new anglers learn the beginning steps as well as meeting new people everyday Don’t get me wrong I’m there to work but I guess I’ll just be enjoying it 150% more than any other job I’ve done

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Part of my job is hiring and firing people, with me anyway I’ll put up with a lot for a guy who shows up everyday. Don’t care how good you are, you’re worthless if you’re not there. You’d be amazed how many people don’t get that.
might not be a bad idea to start checking around at the landings now and see if you can help out with boat work

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Fish for fun. Living in Socal is expensive, getting more so by the day, and scratching out a living in the fishing industry can be tough. Everyone I know in the industry works multiple gigs and/or lives very very modestly.

Build a solid career doing something else and a little fishing business on the side if you need to have a "fishing job".

Listen to Decker and Eric on Cast and Crank discuss that very subject. They are in the game and have sage advise.

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Personal experience on how I’ve made my living so far working sporties.

1. It’s not a full time job.
2. Most of what you learn is how to operate on a sport boat
3. You’re not there to fish, you’re there to be a provider customer service for those fishing. What you learn is how to keep people fishing.
4. Learn to fish from customers deadheading on your off days.
5. Quit if you’re not having fun Pinheading or deadheading.
6. Have fun. It is seriously fun as all hell to get fishing foaming in the corner or see calico bass smashing your chum off the kelp line. You see some cool stuff.

Im back in school to try and get out of Sportfishing as the money seriously sucks. Even LR you have to put money in the bank instead of the pocket if you want a home under 600k. It’s serious fun but not a ton of money in it.

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
For now I’m still in school and will be for a couple more years however my main goal is to join the marines after I get out of college with my certificate in law enforcement.

so after I get out of the marines I can go directly at law enforcement to try and land a job there

so as of now if I do land a job at some landing working on a boat it would only be for 2-3 years before joining the core

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
Your probably right but as for my career route I have a set plan and I’ve been told by some people that they don’t think it’s the best plan but it’s what I want to do
For now I’m looking to do what I love most and that’s to be out on the water however I will never forget my priorities

CommanderPinhead

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Your probably right but as for my career route I have a set plan and I’ve been told by some people that they don’t think it’s the best plan but it’s what I want to do
For now I’m looking to do what I love most and that’s to be out on the water however I will never forget my priorities
If you’re really driven for it, go for it. Learn ehat you can deadheading or pinheading. You can make some decent under the table money... enough to get you pleasant things if you’re not having to pay for your own rent and utilities.

Reactions: Asael

CommanderPinhead

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Your gonna hear the word liability alot these days..
Also being more geared towards customer service. I read on here a while back about some moron saying deckhands don’t take as much charge as they used to. Wrong. We have to more hospitable and carings towards customers; sport boats are not fishing boats, they are passenger boats. Under the eye of the coast guard, we are a passenger boat with a bait tank that must comply to DFG laws. Since the coast guard cracked down there is a ton of things we can get fined for more openly. It got pretty nasty for a bit and there is some merit to when the CG started to have a larger presence.

Reactions: gimme

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
For now I’m still in school and will be for a couple more years however my main goal is to join the marines after I get out of college with my certificate in law enforcement.

so after I get out of the marines I can go directly at law enforcement to try and land a job there

so as of now if I do land a job at some landing working on a boat it would only be for 2-3 years before joining the core
If you were closer, I would consider offering you an opportunity to deckhand on my boat (no charters, just friends and I on 1 to 7 day trips). I do agree with the comments above that you should pursue a different career (and, btw, you will join the corps, not the core), and make enough money that you can fish for fun.

Reactions: the SLIDER

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
If you were closer, I would consider offering you an opportunity to deckhand on my boat (no charters, just friends and I on 1 to 7 day trips). I do agree with the comments above that you should pursue a different career (and, btw, you will join the corps, not the core), and make enough money that you can fish for fun.
Where would you be located?
I wouldn’t mind making a good drive every now and then

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Also being more geared towards customer service. I read on here a while back about some moron saying deckhands don’t take as much charge as they used to. Wrong. We have to more hospitable and carings towards customers; sport boats are not fishing boats, they are passenger boats. Under the eye of the coast guard, we are a passenger boat with a bait tank that must comply to DFG laws. Since the coast guard cracked down there is a ton of things we can get fined for more openly. It got pretty nasty for a bit and there is some merit to when the CG started to have a larger presence.
Nasty enough to shut us down completely ..whale watch,harbor tours,bait dock and seiner..
After 30 years all done....

CommanderPinhead

Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Nasty enough to shut us down completely ..whale watch,harbor tours,bait dock and seiner..
After 30 years all done....
Yep... our industry went from making money off fish to people being generous. Killed a ton of boats... the boats I was pinheading On where lucky enough to be the one more popular boats at the time and had regular who were geared towards the customer support provided. It just get under my skin when people say “things weren’t like they used to be when I fished”... well Sir, times are very different and constantly evolving.

Reactions: Asael

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Go down to the landings that would be guaranteed or go to different yacht clubs and ask around to help out on the nicer yacht's, The later of the two is what I would do if I was in your shoes.