Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish&everything else
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    Probably won’t be until later this year/next year.
    I would like to take a trip targeting one species out of San Diego. I fully fear a “we don’t catch those here Lou, you dummy” or “no boats target only those” answer. I’ve never fished down there.
    So, could you:
    1. vote your fish
    2. rate your fish on 1-10 scale for
    flavor and
    3. recommend a boat or 2 that targets them?

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    How long of a trip do you want to do, theoretically all 3 on the same trip is possible if things lineup in your favor.

The hardest one is going to be dorado, they sometime just don't show up in big numbers every year.

Reactions: skrilla and Tifoso

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    How long of a trip do you want to do, theoretically all 3 on the same trip is possible if things lineup in your favor.

The hardest one is going to be dorado, they sometime just don't show up in big numbers every year.
    Never done a multi day trip. Would probably come down with the family. Day and a half, max maybe?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Day and a half would be tough. One of the 3, possibly 2 of the 3 but 3/3 usually means a lot of travel between different areas. For instance: late fall the bluefin have been found either near the island or on a shallow bank. Can mean you can fish tuna and cod (sheepshead) on the same trip.
    Or the tuna could be offshore and you find the bluefin or a random kelp with dorado on the same trip. Either way it’s pretty hard to be like this is the date and this is when those fish will be caught. Best bet is just schedule a trip. Relax and enjoy what ever is biting best at the time, and maybe you will get one of the 3.

Reactions: Mtnfshr and Tifoso

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    A lot rides on what time of you year you go. Assuming it’s summer or fall, the way things have been, you’re probably looking at BFT and/or YFT and/or YT. Dorado usually aren’t around that long but you’ll have a shot August through October, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sheepshead in the counts on a 1.5 day out of SD.
    At the end of the day if youre visiting and don’t do this often, and end up getting into any of the above species on your trip you’re gonna be stoked trust me

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Sounds like you might be a noob so I wouldn't target BFT. Dorado/yft are a good choice as they are a blast to catch and your percentage rate of getting one are pretty high. Usually late summer/fall is when you target them. Just about every full day boat in SD will be fishing for them.

Reactions: Tifoso

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    Sounds like you might be a noob so I wouldn't target BFT. Dorado/yft are a good choice as they are a blast to catch and your percentage rate of getting one are pretty high. Usually late summer/fall is when you target them. Just about every full day boat in SD will be fishing for them.
    Fished for a long time here, but never down there.

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    Thank you, guys.
    TBH, I hadn’t considered YFT. *duh, Lou*
    YFT really interests me. :)

Tifoso

• Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    I added YFT to the vote list, in case you might want to change your vote. :)

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    You dont have much say as to what you are gonna target on a Sportie because you're gonna target what the captain is targeting that day.

1.5 day trip in late summer/early fall gives you a good shot at any of the Pelagics. The landing will tell you what you need to know as you approach the trip. You'll be happy with whatever you catch.

The best tasting fish is fresh sushi.

:jig:

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    umm...
    They all bite at different times. Pick rod/reel combo that you like. Match rod/reel, line wt., hook size to bait size, bring your favorite lures according to depth you might fish, and then watch the people that are regulars and follow lead.
    I seem to be hardheaded and have to see others bang fish and then realize what I thought was the shit wasn't. But sometimes , They tell you that won't work!, and bang, You got the big fish.

petes sake.gif

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
    Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    Sheephead get my vote every time, no matter what the question is!

If you're driving from the PNW/up north and you really want to catch a toad goat, break up the drive and do a warmup Channel Islands trip out of Ventura or Oxnard.
    Try to get on the Aloha Spirit. Could get a white seabass too

The boats backlasher mentioned are all excellent choices.

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Bog Jumper
    If you are looking for rockfish stay in Nor cal or go to Oregon. If you are looking for albacore go to Ilwaco. If you want to fish San Diego mult-day you will be going offshore looking for tuna and yellowtail. If you have never fished off shore you might try a short trip first. On a pick bite it there can be a learning curve.

If the bluefin are close again next summer that can be a lot of fun. Bluefin can be bluefin though.