Looking for YF found Halibut

Hydronaut

Jun 15, 2020
San Diego
Name
Timothy Stengel
Boat
Freedom 22
Got a late start this morning launching out of South Shores in MB. Got a lively half scoop of dines 6-8 inch from bait barge on the way out. Great bait this time. Trolled west for 5-7 miles. Water temp 66.5f. No birds or paddies so I headed north to LJ for some YT action. No YT Mark's or bird activity so we dropped deep for rockfish. Found a few but the bite was slow. Water temp 67.2f Got a great bite on the dropper loop with the lively dine. Had the head shake but once off the bottom just a dead weight. Got to color and yelled for the gaff. The spouse got a perfect gut shot and landed my first keeper Hali. Finally got a keeper. Wife and hali...

Resized_20200724_125030.jpeg

20200724_163304.jpg

20200724_163934.jpg

Upvote 0

mako control

Jul 11, 2007
Temecula
Name
Tom
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher, " Reel Dirty Business"
Got a late start this morning launching out of South Shores in MB. Got a lively half scoop of dines 6-8 inch from bait barge on the way out. Great bait this time. Trolled west for 5-7 miles. Water temp 66.5f. No birds or paddies so I headed north to LJ for some YT action. No YT Mark's or bird activity so we dropped deep for rockfish. Found a few but the bite was slow. Water temp 67.2f Got a great bite on the dropper loop with the lively dine. Had the head shake but once off the bottom just a dead weight. Got to color and yelled for the gaff. The spouse got a perfect gut shot and landed my first keeper Hali. Finally got a keeper. Wife and hali...

View attachment 1175068

View attachment 1175069

View attachment 1175070
Beautiful fish. Congrats!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Stakanak

Sep 25, 2013
Long Beach, California, USA
Name
Mark Nakagawa
Boat
“Buzzcatcher”
Congratulations on your first keeper!
If you have a bait tank, net the Halibut and keep it alive, the meat comes out much better.
They will live until you tow the boat home with a couple inches of water over them😉

Reactions: the SLIDER
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Beautiful fish and great pic. That's not a gut shot (which will immobilize the fish) but ANY gaff shot that gets that beauty in the boat is a good one! Congrats!

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

Hydronaut

Jun 15, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Timothy Stengel
    Boat
    Freedom 22
    Thanks for the compliments. I hope that I included enough info for the report. This was the Wife's first gaff shot so I just told her to get it in the middle. I also had her clear the three other lines for me before I got deep color. I have read that gaffing them in the gut tends to calm them down. She gaffed it right thru the middle by the spine and didn't loose it. My first mate is learning fast. It taped out at about 38". It was nice to have fresh Beer Battered Hali and Tatter Tots. Now I have to find some YT for her to pull on.

Tight Lines,
    Hydronaut

Upvote 0