Looking for video of surface irons kicking

Jun 25, 2008
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
16 ft. Sid Skiff, ClassTime
Getting back into throwing jigs and going on a All Day out of Redondo next week. I have never paid much attention and figured if the jig wobbled back and forth, It was good. I bought some new Tady 45s and a JRI and have a bunch of older jigs, I want to know what this "kick" looks like. Can anyone point to a video that shows this? I have a few days to go down to the jetty and test them all at different speeds and all but I want to know what I'm looking for. (Later on, I'll be trying my hand at modifying the bad ones.)
Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Just look for a zig-zag type swim as you reel it in.Adjusting speed adjusts the zig-zag pattern.Different jigs swim better or worse at different speeds.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2008
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
16 ft. Sid Skiff, ClassTime
Ya. That video is a good one but the Barracuda interfere with my analysis of the jig action:-) It looks to be pretty regular back and forth. At 1:07, is that an extra fast wiggle that is not caused by fisherman or fish? If that is the jig that does that with constant retrieve, is that what I am looking for?

I was pointing the rod at the jig for starters and then down at the water to keep the jig from breaking the surface.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    You're overthinking this.

Getting a jig to swim is more about experience rather than just copying a generic action you believe it's supposed to look like.

If your iron is moving left to right and MOST IMPORTANTLY getting bites, you're doing it correctly. Practice inshore and see if you get bit by more eager fish such as barracuda and calicos. Your cadence depends on your rig, retrieve style, etc.

My favorite iron is a bird shit colored Kicker Fishing jig. I am one with it. It has caught more fish than all my other surface irons combined. I only learned that through trial and error. I will cry the day I lose it. Btw, there's barely any paint left on it.

Go fish, get bit!

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Whatever the others around you are doing do something different,Unless they are all catching fish,then do what their doing,lol.

Upvote 0