Smartaxe

Almost A Member
Dec 18, 2011
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
Koy Wilson
Boat Name
2003 Robalo 235
Alright gang, I'm going to be showing my trailer some love this month. I am looking for any tutorials/threads on clever ideas, upgrades etc. I already plan on new brakes, led lighting, new jackstand. But I am starting from scratch. So I need pointers on everything. I have a 2003 Sun Country 26' double axel galvanized trailer with drum brakes and carpet bunks and leaf springs.The boat has been in the harbor for the last 5 years. I use the trailer twice a year to pull it out for maint and detailing. Probably going to need new tires as these are original as far as I know. Also have some white and brown rust on the trailer that I'll need to address. I'd like to do a build thread on everything to help the next guy. So any tips on useful websites, trailer part stores, lessons learned, etc..will be appreciated. I will post some pics later today to help. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
  • Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat Name
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    Etrailers.com

Pacific trailers in chino

Both are good for parts. Very good prices.

Staying drum or going to disc?

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Nearly everything I know about trailers I learned from tutorials on YouTube. So much information out there its crazy. Etrailer has tons of videos. Nothing is difficult its just labor intensive. If you get stuck on anything Wayne at West Coast Trailers is a wealth of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat Name
    2003 Robalo 235
    Etrailers.com

Pacific trailers in chino

Both are good for parts. Very good prices.

Staying drum or going to disc?
    I'd like to upgrade to stainless disc, but I don't know if it'll be in the budget this year. I'll know more when I pull off the wheels Tuesday.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I was told by a trailer mechanic that literally could have sold me a Stainless brake system (asked him flat out which one is the best) that in the long run it is hard to justify the cost. He then went on to tell me how a lot of shops wont turn the rotors (when if/the time comes) but also the biggest issue he pointed out was the thermal conductivity. Stainless does not dissipate the heat as well as regular alloy. He went on to tell me that the only advantage would be rust prevention.
    Don't know much about any of that except the thermal conductivity part, but the guy that told me this had the ability to up sell me to stainless and didn't.

Reactions: Smartaxe
    Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
  • Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat Name
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    Your trailer has disc brakes already (not drum as stated in original post).

Dacrament material coating is what I would use with brake system. Kodiak is the brand you want. Since you have 3500 lbs axles, your disc size is limited to 10" unless your tires are 15" diameter.

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat Name
    2003 Robalo 235
    Your trailer has disc brakes already (not drum as stated in original post).

Dacrament material coating is what I would use with brake system. Kodiak is the brand you want. Since you have 3500 lbs axles, your disc size is limited to 10" unless your tires are 15" diameter.
    Huge help Shad, thanks so much

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    19"Gregor
    I'd start out by spraying some break free or similar product on those lugs and studs as soon as possible.They don't look like they're going to be much fun.Go with lug caps on your rebuild.

Upvote 0

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
    Oct 9, 2016
    Bearflag South end
    Name
    Salty Paul
    Boat Name
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    Change the tires first before you even move it, don't ask me how I know.

Salty Paul

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    Liquid penetrant.... pb blaster. Works great.

New stainless lug nuts open end so they don't trap water. Oreily's I think...
    grease the lug before with something similar to copaslip or copper based anti seize. Take your time and if a bolt is seize cut it off with an angle grinder. It's just labor intensive. There is a tire warehouse in la mirada better pricing than the tire rack.

There are many trailer parts places online as well.

Here is the tire place:

https://www.onlinetires.com/contactus.php

For bunks: I used pressure treated wood, good in/out door carpet and huge SS staples.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0