Looking for that Seeker Inshore / S-glass Feeling?

fishing24/7

Dec 9, 2008
wherever the fish are
Name
Steve
Boat
someday
Hi all,

I love the feeling of the Seeker Blue Lightning series. It has a responsive, lively feeling with a moderate action that bends deep into the blank. I have many rods that I tote onto boats but the Seeker is the go-to (CSW 858). I am looking for recommendations of other 8-8.5' blanks/rods (in production) with a similar feeling and blank weight (or lighter). I am mostly interested in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 lb rods for casting lures that load well with ~2-6oz depending on the weight class.

An additional question, has anyone fished a Phenix Crankbait X-16? How might this compare to the CSW858 in terms of feeling?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I find The Blue Lightning to be in a class all their own. Especially on a kayak. Just great rods.

Reactions: fishing24/7
Upvote 0

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
I’ve got an 8.5 inshore, cork handle series. I had a yellow in it one day and they deck hand commented “man look at the bend on that rod”. That are pretty sweet.

5F6D75B7-9087-468E-89CC-BACB10D7F15A.jpeg

5FEF48D5-3D89-4768-A8F2-AD9C6C8509EC.jpeg

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I have a 908 and 1008 that I love for calicos and cudas. I’ve tried the 1008 for large plugs for Striped bass cause of how nice it casts but have yet to hook up with anything of size.

fishing24/7

Dec 9, 2008
    wherever the fish are
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    someday
    I find The Blue Lightning to be in a class all their own. Especially on a kayak. Just great rods.
    Yup! I have been fishing mine for almost 10 years and it is still my go-to. The only other rod I have ever felt that was similar was a Truline from an old timer.

I’ve got an 8.5 inshore, cork handle series. I had a yellow in it one day and they deck hand commented “man look at the bend on that rod”. That are pretty sweet.
    :rockin:

I have a 908 and 1008 that I love for calicos and cudas. I’ve tried the 1008 for large plugs for Striped bass cause of how nice it casts but have yet to hook up with anything of size.
    I am curious to try some of the longer versions. Let me know how it compares.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    The blue stuff Especially my D-8 gets used and abused.... Fishes as good as anything I have ever tried.... The key to a great rod in my opinion is saving your back to fish another round, yet have excellent casting ability, and put maximum predictable pressure on the fish.

Screenshot_20200423-063659_Gallery.jpg

F
    fishing24/7
    Seeing all that blue, especially custom blue, brings me joy. What is the D-8 all about? I vaguely remember them being a part of some Seeker retro series/Truline copies.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    The blue stuff Especially my D-8 gets used and abused.... Fishes as good as anything I have ever tried.... The key to a great rod in my opinion is saving your back to fish another round, yet have excellent casting ability, and put maximum predictable pressure on the fish.

View attachment 1275182
    The D-8 is considered a Unicorn... At least this one. Made of Blue S glass in a limited edition run... Nothing like it before, will never be repeated again... The Glass can be found but it is extremely expensive AEROSPACE stuff... The epoxy is what can't be obtained.
    The rod acts like Carbonfiber but feels like glass. There is Nothing else like it. Used Blanks of the Non limited go for over $1k. If you find one at a yard sale... do not hesitate.

Upvote 0

fishing24/7

Dec 9, 2008
    wherever the fish are
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    someday
    The D-8 is considered a Unicorn... At least this one. Made of Blue S glass in a limited edition run... Nothing like it before, will never be repeated again... The Glass can be found but it is extremely expensive AEROSPACE stuff... The epoxy is what can't be obtained.
    The rod acts like Carbonfiber but feels like glass. There is Nothing else like it. Used Blanks of the Non limited go for over $1k. If you find one at a yard sale... do not hesitate.
    Thank you and curse you for the information Tail Chaser, I already have enough problems finding an in production Blue lightning/ inshore let alone chasing unicorns. If I see one at a yard sale I might mow over a granny and have to change my underwear.

This was the whole reason for the thread, is there anything out there on the market that is even close to the same feeling?

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Thank you and curse you for the information Tail Chaser, I already have enough problems finding an in production Blue lightning/ inshore let alone chasing unicorns. If I see one at a yard sale I might mow over a granny and have to change my underwear.

This was the whole reason for the thread, is there anything out there on the market that is even close to the same feeling?

I recommend you fish what you have and just keep an eye out for old stuff... These old seekers are awesome but... I would never spend $2k on a rod.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Sound advice. I also would not spend $2k on a rod as they are consumables in my book. Reels are a different story.
    I have been fishing the same reels for a very long time. Quality doesn't go out of style. Think made in USA!

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    For 30-40 line class I have an old Seeker black S glass D8 that has similar bending action deeper into the blank. The older glass super seekers also have a nice bend to them. I have a SS CJBF90 and CJBF90M that I love to fish.

fishing24/7

Dec 9, 2008
    wherever the fish are
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    someday
    For 30-40 line class I have an old Seeker black S glass D8 that has similar bending action deeper into the blank. The older glass super seekers also have a nice bend to them. I have a SS CJBF90 and CJBF90M that I love to fish.
    Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Dre. I will keep my eye open for these oldies but goodies.

Upvote 0