Looking for suggestions on LR Reel Lineup...

Dexter Outdoors

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Hello All,

This is my first post here so please be gentle. I am looking to book a LR trip next year or the Summer of 2018. I am leaning towards a 5-7 day trip and was hoping to build a small arsenal prior to heading out. I have fished 36-48hr canyon trips off the East Coast and now I am looking to expand to the Long Range scene at least once per year.

I currently use all Avet reels with a variety of rods that I swap out as needed. What I am looking for is some suggestions on a 4 reel and rod arsenal consisting of Avet reels. Currently I use an SX 5.3 MC, MXL 5.8 and a HXW 4.2 for my range from fluke and striped bass to YFT in the Canyons. These 3 suit me well on the East Coast but I am thinking they wouldn't have much place on the LR boats.

As I said, I am looking to build 4 Avet combos and I am looking for recommendations on which 4 would provide the widest range based on the 5-7 day trips, possibly 8-10 days in the future.

Thanks!!!

Mark

Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
On the 5-7 dy trips you usually fish the ridge, maybe Alijos or Guadalupe and probably Cedros and Benitos. You need 30, 40, 50, and 60 pound bait outfits and maybe an 80 lb outfit for the bigger tuna and for dropperloop. Your MXL will work fine for 30 lb and you can pair it up with a Calstar Grafighter 800M or similar rod. For 40lb a regular JX or LX will work fine on a grafighter 700m or if you want an 8' rod you could go with a glass 6480. Your HXW will work for 50 lb but it is a little large and it would be nice to have a 2 speed like a regular HX 5/2. Put it on a grafighter 700H and you are good to go. For 60 and 80 pound you need something like an HX raptor or an HXW raptor on a 700 xh or a similar 7' or 7.5' rail rod. If you have the money I would just get a JX raptor to use for 40 and 50 lb, an LX raptor for 50 and 60 lb and an HX raptor or HXW raptor to use for 60 and 80 lb. Put 65lb spectra on the JX, 80lb spectra on the LX and 100lb spectra on the HX, then you can just change your fluro leaders to what you want.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Welcome Mark!

You should receive many opinions and perspectives! Gear selection is very subjective and I do not know your preferences. However, in the spirit of being helpful, I recommend something similar to Mike's suggestions for a 5-day trip. There are many different options. Only you can decide what works best for you... If you can, try out rods & reels together before hand to see if you like them.

30 - MXL & GF700M or SS670
40 - LX & GF700H or SS6470
50 - LX6/3 & GF700XH or SS6470H
60 - HX5/2 & GF770H or SS6470XH

In addition to those listed above, you may want to bring a 20 lbs. outfit just in case. Probably won't use the 60 lbs rig much unless your trip goes to Guadalupe. For trolling or dropper loop you can use the boat's gear. Have fun on your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubanaso
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The two applications most frequently encountered are 40 lb bait fishing and 50 lb YoYo iron fishing. These are the two slots you need to fill. Fish your SX with 25 lb, and the MXL with 30 lb. You see, not all of the fish we catch out here are hundred pounders. ;) If fishing dropper loop for Yellowtail, your HXW will do just fine.

I think something like the JX or LX would be great for fishing 40 lb, backed with 65 lb spectra, topshot with either a 25 foot piece of 40 lb fluorocarbon or a longer topshot of mono with a 3' piece of fluoro on that. Crew can help with selecting the when and where for topshots. Get the two speed model, maybe even bump to Raptor.

Now for 50 lb, you want a narrow reel like the HX or even HXJ, two speed, maybe Raptor. I like fishing a 100 yard topshot of mono but some like a short topshot. If you don't mind winding on a 100 yards of spectra as you crank fast, HXJ. If you want the longer mono topshot, HX.

Use the boat's outfits for trolling, they're suitable and have cool jigs or feathers tied on.

Tell us about your rods. And do we have a budget in mind or is it Carte Blanche?

Last edited:
Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
Just one comment, as an annual traveler and tackle ho. Shipping gear is not cheap. Just dropped of a rod tube with 12 rods and tackle box. With a FEDEX commercial account still over $200 one way. You may want to consider boat gear (high quality on al of the top boats). They will hook you up for the cost of fresh top shots, so a 4 rod quiver will run you $40.

Upvote 0

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Thanks for all the replies so far! I see a lot of helpful recommendations so far. I figured I would start shopping early since I have some time before actually getting out on a trip.

Steve K. - The rods I use here are nothing too fancy. I have a few Shimano Trevala's and Crowder E-Series Stand-Up that I swap in and out on the SX and the MXL. They all range from 15#-50# and run between 6' and 6'-6". For my HXW, I use a custom trolling rod that is 5'-6" and rated 30#-80#. I know it's a bulky rod and a bit too "stout" but it puts good pressure on the fish and shortens the fight a bit. I definitely need some upgrades for the Long Range scene. As far as the budget, I am open to whatever my wife allows me to spend, and I like buying stuff! :-)

Texlee - Thanks for the feedback but it is tough for me to take off for more than a week at a time from work, as it is with my friend who will be joining me. Hell, I would love to book every 15 day trip out there but no work, no play.

NaplesJohn - I know it will be quite pricey to ship the gear out there. I will definitely not rule out using boat gear as I know all of their gear is top notch and maintained to high standards. I guess it all comes down to what I "need" and what the wife lets me get. :)

Thanks again for all the replies!

Upvote 0

saltwaterfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
you'll get tons on ideas, nobody is the same
mine is
1 sx raptor
2 - mxl raptors
1 jx raptor

Usually the jx raptor sits there because I like the smaller reels

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
It depends on the boat you are going on. If your on the Royal Star, Royal Polaris or Shogun and they have their Guadalupe Permits then gear requirements might change. 40 and 50 lb. used to be the norm but I hear they are using 80 lb. the last 2 years. If that is the case a Makaira 16, Penn International 16 or Talica 25 (all 2 speeds) are some examples of reels you could use. And a dropper loop rig of a 100 lb. or more is needed for big yellowtail near the bottom. Otherwise all the recommendations above are correct.

Upvote 0

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Would there be a need at all for something like a T-RX 30/2 on these trips or is that overkill considering the boats have the trolling gear?

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I don't use a lot of Avets so I don't have much to comment on there. As far as trip length don't go less than 7 days. There are several 8 day trips that run Saturday to Sunday so you can do that in a week. The longer trips get you into a lower zone and give you time to learn and to settle in. We all have days that we get into where we just don't do well. A longer trip takes the pressure off and let's you atone for off days.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Mark, you've got a lot of good advice here and you have time. I hope you wife is understanding. Personally I use two speed reels. I do like my LX, I do have a raptor as well but never max the drag, do a raptor is debatable. Here is a thought, bring you reel and borrow or rent rods from the boat.

I'd first deside on you trip, as to when and what boat. Then determine, by asking, what you'll need. Shipping is getting expensive & the airlines are hitting you up for everything. I don't know is Southwest is still allowing free baggage.

And you don't need a T-Rex. In fact a 30 would be over kill. Unless you are going Cow hunting. The boat trolling stuff is fine.

You can get by with a 30, two 40, and a 50 pound outfit. And you can always put heavier or lighter line on. It you want something else rent it or go on an Avet sponsored trip. Some of the boats have Avets as well as loaner gear.

Welcome to our addiction.

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Hello All,

This is my first post here so please be gentle. I am looking to book a LR trip next year or the Summer of 2018. I am leaning towards a 5-7 day trip and was hoping to build a small arsenal prior to heading out. I have fished 36-48hr canyon trips off the East Coast and now I am looking to expand to the Long Range scene at least once per year.

I currently use all Avet reels with a variety of rods that I swap out as needed. What I am looking for is some suggestions on a 4 reel and rod arsenal consisting of Avet reels. Currently I use an SX 5.3 MC, MXL 5.8 and a HXW 4.2 for my range from fluke and striped bass to YFT in the Canyons. These 3 suit me well on the East Coast but I am thinking they wouldn't have much place on the LR boats.

As I said, I am looking to build 4 Avet combos and I am looking for recommendations on which 4 would provide the widest range based on the 5-7 day trips, possibly 8-10 days in the future.

Thanks!!!

Mark
Actually use an use all those reels. Just add 1 or 2 and you are good to go..

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Thanks! SteveK actually said the same thing. I like the idea of only having to add 2 reels and a few rods to what I already have.
I did not ask about your rods. Call to discuss!! ;)

Reactions: thunder835
Upvote 0

Paul Dennis

Sep 30, 2008
Veneta,Oregon
Name
Paul Dennis
Boat
26 ft Boulton
This discussion answers my own questions for Guadalupe. I have the 80 and hundred redundantly addressed but I think now for 60 pound, I will use my HX raptor..like 80 pound spectra to 60 fluorocarbon. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Texlee - Thanks for the feedback but it is tough for me to take off for more than a week at a time from work, as it is with my friend who will be joining me. Hell, I would love to book every 15 day trip out there but no work, no play.

I understand that buddy. Take care and enjoy the adventure. But beware......long range fishing is very addictive. Tex.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
as far as shipping goes long rods will raise the cost much try to stay under 104 " if you can keep it at 95 great as far as gear you can rent some and if your buddy has gear and you can get rods in one tube will save you in the long run trust me I know welcome to the madness

Upvote 0

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Looking more like we will try to jump on a Sponsored trip and avoid the headaches of traveling with or shipping equipment. I still need a reason to buy some gear though :-)

Upvote 0

thunder835

Jul 15, 2010
Hambug, PA
Name
Mark
Boat
Sold!!!
Just a quick update, I believe we have decided to go on one of the Penn 8-Days on the Shogun. I contacted them about possibly reserving 2 spots for the June 2018 trip since we can't make it out next year.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Late to the party, as usual. I can't help you with your reel selections. I know a lot of people really like the smaller Avet reels, but they are not my cup of tea. If I were going to get one, I would definitely get a Raptor version, but I personally prefer Okuma and Daiwa reels. In fact, all of my 20-60lb reels are Daiwas, most of them Saltigas. You say you want to get Avets, well, you're in good company. Reel choice is a very personal thing, and lots of very good anglers swear by Avet.

What I would recommend strongly is for you to mount those reels on United Composites rods. I would suggest:

30-40lbs - Wahoo Jr.
40lbs - Tilefish
40-50lbs - Wahoo
50-60lbs - Predator

All of these blanks have wonderfully forgiving tips, with great backbone behind. They cast very well, and they just plain kill fish dead. They are light and strong, with medium-fast actions, and work well both on the rail and in a belt.

Whatever you choose, tight lines!

Upvote 0