Looking for suggestions / experience on selecting kicker bracket

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
Petaluma, California USA
Name
Ben
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
I recently picked up a 2003 Pro Line 20 walk, I am looking to add a kicker motor to the boat. At the moment I am leaning towards the suzuki DF9.9BT EFI, seems to be one of the better deals going around here where They run 2700 OTD with electric start and power tilt. http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product Lines/Outboard Motors/Products/DF9_9BT/2012/DF9_9BT EFI.aspx

My question to you more experienced vets on here is regarding the kicker bracket for a motor like that. I like the idea of running a fixed bracket. seems like that are much more stout, less moving parts / things to go wrong. The suzuki has power tilt so as long as I could mount kicker plate at the right height it seems like it would be ideal. But my buddy has a similar boat, bayliner trophy 20 who just mounted the same kicker on a panther adjustable, he said ill be dragging the motor in the water on a fixed plate even with my motor tilted all the way up .. If i go the adjustable route I was looking at the panther mount that is rated for up to 35hp. the 55-0410 https://panthermarineproducts.com/outboard-motor-brackets/

What do you all recommend? A fixed mount or an adjustable? I really appreciate any insights folks could share...

Proline20.jpg

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
Fixed. Like you said, less moving parts. Never had an issue with drag. I have had fixed brackets for my last 3 boats. I had the adjustable ones before, no matter how you strap it down, it will bounce down the freeway and when hitting every wave. That does a tremendous amount of impact on the transom. Put yours on the port side so it counter balance your weight since your steering is on the starboard side. Good luck on your decision.

Ibejammin2
Ibejammin2
Thanks for the inputs.. yeah i am leaning towards the fixed mount.. I may have to employ the services of a local shop that has a lot of experience with placement and mounting rather than making it a DIY venture.. Any recommendations on a good fixed mount?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
Petaluma, California USA
Name
Ben
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
How do you plan to steer your kicker? Tie bar to the main or the tiller?

I like the idea of a tie bar, not sure how convenient they are though as far as do you have to pop them on / off when switching between motoring on the main and trolling?? never seen on in action in person. If I did go that route i think it would be cool to spend the extra $ and order the Suzuki with controls.. so, since i have doubts about how all that worked.. i was leaning towards simply controlling the kicker from the back with the tiller.. what do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I like the idea of a tie bar, not sure how convenient they are though as far as do you have to pop them on / off when switching between motoring on the main and trolling?? never seen on in action in person. If I did go that route i think it would be cool to spend the extra $ and order the Suzuki with controls.. so, since i have doubts about how all that worked.. i was leaning towards simply controlling the kicker from the back with the tiller.. what do you guys think?
My own setup is geared towards a variety of different techniques, so while I do have a tie bar setup and use it occasionally, most of my kicker use is with the tiller. Some tie bars can be left connected, some can't, there's several different ways to set one up. @airslot has it right, the adjustable mounts are simply more moving parts and their rigidity leaves a lot to be desired.
I do think the best setup by far is a fixed mount but be for darned sure the kicker you buy has the 25" shaft. It'll allow your mount to sit higher, which will make tiller control a whole lot more convenient and the additional mount height should get lower unit on the kicker high enough to clear when running. The center of the cavitation plate on your kicker should sit level with the part of the hull directly forward of the kicker. Some guys mount the kicker too low which causes the lower unit to drag when running. Just like your main engine, there's a sweet spot. You may have to play with mounting heights a little bit, but that should get you close.
Last but not least, BOLT the kicker to your mount once you've decided on a mounting height. If you simply clamp it you'll eventually regret it.

Reactions: Ibejammin2
Ibejammin2
Ibejammin2
Thanks pacific appreciate your insights.. gave me some things to think about.. Ill post up my final list of planned purchases before going for it .. but likely it will be a fixed mount tiller motor like you mentioned..
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

butcherboy

Retired Bum
Jul 4, 2007
escondido ca.
Name
tom cunningham
Boat
Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
Don't forget to fresh water flush you kicker (even if you don't use it) every time you flush your main. They will ingest saltwater and send up the shaft whenever you accelerate when bow is high and stern squats causing heavy salt buildup.....don't ask me how I know.

Upvote 0