looking for repower advice

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Well, you win some you lose some. I purchased a nice 1999 Aquasport 215dc a few months back and have had motor issues since the start. The motor is a 1999 yamaha ox66 250hp. It runs great but struggles to idle. I've had it looked at professionally and no one can quite figure it out. I'm tired of throwing money at it and am looking to repower to an older 4 stroke. My gauges and controls are practically new so I would prefer to stay with a yamaha, but wouldn't be completely against changing brands if the price is right. The 250 is more than enough power currently, but I definitely wouldn't want to downgrade to anything less than a 200hp. Weight is my main concern as it looks like the 4 stroke yamahas are about 100lbs heavier than the 0x66. The tag on the boat says it is rated for 300hp but says nothing about weight.
My budget is 10k all in. I am aware of the corrosion issues with early 2000s 4strokes but am wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on what to look for or avoid. Also if anyone is upgrading or has a lead on a Nice motor please let me know. Thanks for any help!

20201125_113221.jpg

20201125_113156.jpg

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
Man thats one of the most bulletproof engines ever made! no way would I trade it for a used 4 stroke just because you have taken it to young mechanics who were watching scooby doo after school when those engines were the tits! They are not complicated engines and alot more fuel efficient than most believe. The other killer engine was the yam 200 hpdi. I would swap one for my yam f150 if it were freshwater and clean.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Maybe the mechanic working on it didn't know his stuff.

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
It was Robbie Gordon at west coast marine. He didn't say he couldn't fix it, just warned about the money that may be thrown at it.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Dan, I have had OX66s for a long time, they are incredible motors

By chance do you know when or if the injectors have been rebuilt?

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Dan, I have had OX66s for a long time, they are incredible motors

By chance do you know when or if the injectors have been rebuilt?
I hear nothing but good things about them too, except that they are thirsty! The injectors haven't been rebuilt that I am aware of. Robby seems to think it may be something electrical because when he would unplug the comp it would run fine. he replaced the comp and it started again. He didn't really didn't think it was worth what I may have to pay them to figure it out and Everybody else I called is busy around town. honestly my neighbor wants to kill me due to the noise of the 2 stroke. West coast marine has been great to work with and are hopefully going to help me out with a trade in soon.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Unplug the comp?

I am probably in the minority here with this opinion but I wont get rid of my OX66s until parts are no longer available or California bans them

I have a pair of 225s on my Grady and love them

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
OP I was in a similar situation but had an old Merc. I tried to call and do research to find a shop with an expert at older 2 strokes but couldnt find one and took a gamble with a shop in Whittier. $900 later they couldnt figure it out. Even before that I pullled injectors to get serviced, replaced this and that and now total $1500 still wouldnt run right..It is a crap shoot and many guys claim no problems with their Merc and like you no problems with OX.

I purchased a used Yam F225 with the corrosion issues fixed and man couldnt be happier for fuel consumption and quiet. Damn I still hit the ignition thinking its off cause its that quiet.. Now most important is the weight. I dont care what the transom is rated it IMO. Its how the boat was designed! And a 1999 sure was not planning on slapping a pig of a 4 stroke on it. Do yourself a favor and go out with several friends (prefer heavy guys) and have them sit on the stern. See how much your stern drops while at dock, then go out for a few runs and see how the boat handles and takes to get not only on plane but will it hold plane at cruise speed.

Yes I know your prop is not designed for that much weight back there but your trying to see how boat handles the added weight. Going to a 4S will require the correct prop so expect to pay at least $500, maybe have to move batteries forward if at all possible on your boat. Also may need trim tabs etc. Its great you have good controls as that will save you at least a grand. Use that for prop and tabs. Good luck as Im sure you can find a good used 4S in your price range. It will take time to find the right one cause not many go on sale here on the west coast.

Reactions: Danthefishman
Upvote 0

peter7883

Apr 21, 2012
San Diego
Name
Peter
Boat
Skipjack
I hear nothing but good things about them too, except that they are thirsty! The injectors haven't been rebuilt that I am aware of. Robby seems to think it may be something electrical because when he would unplug the comp it would run fine. he replaced the comp and it started again. He didn't really didn't think it was worth what I may have to pay them to figure it out and Everybody else I called is busy around town. honestly my neighbor wants to kill me due to the noise of the 2 stroke. West coast marine has been great to work with and are hopefully going to help me out with a trade in soon.

I would not replace the engine. I had a related problem on mine, it would run perfectly and then shut off for no reason. Mechanics could not find anything wrong. I eventually traced it to a worn wire that was grounding out. Trace all the wires and especially in areas around the engine where the wires move around a bit due to steering. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
West Coast Marine had the same motor (1999 ox66) that was a trade in that I had them put on for a great price. I blew it up on the first trip out. I have no doubt that they are great motors and people love them, but I'm ready for something else. Luckily they didn't charge me and are a stand up group of guys. My batteries have been relocated forward and with the absence of the oil reservoir that should help a bit with the added weight. I've had some bad luck on my last couple boats, and am hoping to finally get a good motor.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

Da Mad Anglah

Old fut who still misses home on da islands
Oct 21, 2020
Idaho (and sometimes Honolulu)
Name
Chris
Boat
'93 18' Weldcraft "Rod Rage"
The money you spend repowering your boat, you could get that yammy running like new, unless you are in need of a complete teardown and rebuild/re-ring. Injector service is relatively cheap at around $25.00 per injector. I use RC Engineering for injector cleaning, they have done half a dozen sets of injectors for my vehicles over the years and do incredibly well cleaning and balancing them. https://www.rcfuelinjection.com

Honestly, the cost of a another used motor may sound great, but dealing with any issues with it will just end up creating more headaches for ya.

Chris

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I forgot to mention that I sold my motor for $2500 within a week and it wouldnt stay idling! I did provide receipts of all I did and showed the printout of what shops did with solid compression which people really liked. So your motor is touted as a really good motor when it runs, you should have no problem selling it. Take that and now you can ease the pain of repower. Sell it and go 4S you wont regret it.

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
Good luck with your search. I to searched around for good used motor but had no luck so I bit the bullet and went new. I went from a 89 Yamaha 2 stroke to a new F200 I4. My first time owning a 4 stoke and what a sound difference. At times only way to tell is idling is to see if it’s pissing. I’m very happy with the performance and fuel consumption.

Upvote 0