Looking for Rainshadow Trolling Build Advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by HavasuSun, Feb 16, 2017.

1. HavasuSun

HavasuSun Member

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    Hi guys. I am looking at building a couple trolling rods for use in South Florida and San Diego. These will be paired with some old Penn International 30TW's and Senator 114H's. The target species will be Yellowfin, Dorado, Sailfish, and Wahoo in Florida and Yellowfin, Dorado, and Albecores :-)-0) in San Diego.

I was thinking of using Rainshadow and Alps equipment as they have done me right in my first couple of builds. Here is what I am thinking....

Blank: Either the FSU60H, FSU60XH or RCTB60H (Any advice on which would be a better blank for my application?)
    • FSU60H: Gloss Black 6'0" 1 30-50lb. N/A 0.927 10.5/ 12.0* M H 11.4oz. All purpose SW stand up/SW trolling/Boat Rod *ALPS Roller Top
    • FSU60XH: Gloss Black 6'0" 1 50-80lb. N/A 0.940 11.5 / 13.0* M XH 13.9oz. All purpose SW stand up/SW trolling/Boat Rod *ALPS Roller Top
    • RCTB60H: Clear Gloss 6'0" 1 40-80lb. N/A 0.895 12.5 / 14.0* XF H 11.2oz. SW Tuna trolling blank *ALPS Roller Top
    Guides: Alps XBXNLG guides with a Alps roller top for the tip top. Will these guides hold up to trolling?

Rear Grip: Either a slick 10" or 12". I like the idea of a 12" to give the reel some additional spacing from butt of the real. Any advice on why not to go with the 12"?

Reel Seat: Alps Centra Lock

Foregrip: 14" EVA with the non-X shrink wrap

Gimbal: Instead of an aluminam gimbal, I was thinking of using Alps rubber gimbal with the grooves in it. Any advice on the gimbal would also be appreciated. Thanks!

gecsr1 likes this.
  2. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey buddy, did you ever built that rod?
    if positive what it was the used accesories and components?

3. Batson-Brands

Batson-Brands Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Hallet
    Since you’re looking for an overall rod for both big and smaller fish (not for something specific) then we’d go with the FSU60H – the glass can hold up to the bigger (though wouldn’t be our recommendation as a full time Yellowfin / Sailfish rod) but won’t be super overkill for the Dorado & Albacore.

For the bigger fish you want to go with the HXN guides.

Length of rear grip, depends how tall / long your arms are. If you’re shorter then go with the 10” and if you’re above average go 12”

4. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    The trolling rods on my boat are the RCJB 84XH and double well as yo-yo rods or heavy bait rods. Mucho pulling power and a soft enough tip that you don't tear off your troll fish.

5. Chris s

Chris s Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Hook me up 27 sportcraft
    i build a lot of trolling rods out here in the north east on the rainshadow fsu line. My go to is the fsu56h great blank with a nice tip and great bend. Havent had any issues so far tested it to 36# of drag on some nice sized tuna. I use mainly winthrop epic butts on these builds with a 13 inch foregrip. Fuji bhbng guides 25,20,16,12,12,12 and winthrop xatm roller. ive also built on the 60h and it too is a great blank. and cant beat the price point on these blanks