Looking for outboard help in San Diego.

Mar 29, 2010
San Diego
Name
Rg
Boat
18' Aluminum Starcraft CC
I have a late 80's mercury 40hp outboard that I bought recently. It needed an impeller so replaced the impellar but after test running it a few times it stopped peeing. So I took it apart and it was all chewed up.

So I'm looking for a referral for an outboard mechanic in San Diego where I could drop of the lower unit and have it done correctly.
Thanks in advance.

osidefishin

big daddy
Nov 27, 2006
oceanside
Name
chuck
Boat
18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
I just had a great experiance at sunset marine in El Cajon getting a re power done give them a call and see what they can do for you.

mholtel

Mike x 5
Dec 7, 2004
Somewhere n Vista
Name
mikey
Boat
Blackman 23, 20 Skipjack, 15 Valco westcoaster
Sounds like you just put the impeller in reverse rotation.
Second time around it will be twice as easy. And you'll still be $$ ahead.
Good luck

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ships & Giggles (32' double decker pontoon)
or he forgot the woodruff key on the shaft

Mar 29, 2010
San Diego
Name
Rg
Boat
18' Aluminum Starcraft CC
Thanks for the info guys
No, the key was installed but then I discovered the white 3" plastic tube (the water pickup tube thingy), was missing, or maybe I did put the impeller in reverse.
Regarding Sunset Marine, I bought the kit from them and it was $150, then I was told, I was ripped off it should have been less then $40.
I'll call them.

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
Thanks for the info guys
No, the key was installed but then I discovered the white 3" plastic tube (the water pickup tube thingy), was missing, or maybe I did put the impeller in reverse.
Regarding Sunset Marine, I bought the kit from them and it was $150, then I was told, I was ripped off it should have been less then $40.
I'll call them.
Check the price here first. Some of the better prices on the net. Also, there is a difference between impeller only or the whole kit w housing/seals etc

www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/parts.html