Looking for options/advice to upgrade the old points ignition to Electronic on Ford 351W....

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
as the season slows up and my work travel lessons its on to the next boat upgrades. Been doing some research but there are a TON of options and like most things cost does vary. Would appreciate some feedback, advice from folks who done this upgrade.

What I have:
1973 24' Chaparral Cuddy - Love this boat, had it a little over a year now working on upgrades in between trips

351w - No idea on hours but it does run smooth no smoke, starts up fine. No noticeable Oil burn
Before I have a problem I am replacing the OLD Carter Non-Marine Carb with a Holley Marine 4160 4bbl

Ignition: Older probably original Bosh style Points Distributor setup.
Looking to replace the distributor, coil, plug and wires all new and electronic. There are a tone of choices. Hoping folks can help me weed through them :)

Merc out drive: (older MR unit) Just rebuilt entire unit 'except' the u-joint which looked fine but will replace next year.
21p Three blade prop
19p Spare (a little beat up)

Currently on smooth water I have ran the following
2900rpm and GPS at 26mph
2500rpm and GPS at 21mph
1500rpm and GPS at 8mph

Goal with the boat is for overall safety then reliability.

20180422_144735.jpg 20180422_144744.jpg 36925723_10205197061363387_4523331231114330112_n.jpg Port Side.JPG

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I agree as the others have said about the Pertronix, one other thing I would consider and this is just my opinion, go with the Edelbrock 1409 marine carb. They run perfect right out of the box. I drilled and tapped mine for my pcv valve (optional). I love it, made a world of difference.

Reactions: tuner
    Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I prefer Edelbrock "AFB" carbs over the Holley 4160 for this application. Jetting should be very close and, if needed, primary metering rods and springs are so easy to change.

A muscle car with a big cam and manual trans is another story...Holley HP with mechanical secondaries!

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Before you go with a Petronix system find out if your shift interrupter can work with it. That was a problem for my old Mercruiser.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 24, 2004
    Texas
    Name
    David
    Boat
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Shift Interrupter??

The Mercury outdrives (Alpha and older) have an interrupt switch in forward and reverse. Basically, when you shift into any gear, the switch momentarily kills the engine, allowing the gears to either engage or disengage. Without this you wouldn't be able to get in or out of gear.

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Upvote 0

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
    Murrieta
    Name
    Chris Stone
    Boat
    Dos Viejos
    Thank you!! Makes sense....I just upgraded that switch from the old one to the new roller style. I will have to research to see if Pertronix will cause an issue.
    Thanks!!

Upvote 0

willyok

Apr 10, 2012
    San diego, CA
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    I’ve used a lot of pertronix products in marine and automotive applications. When they work they are awesome... I’ve also had the module fail numerous times in all applications. After the first time failing on the water, I upgraded to a D.U.I distributor. It looks just like a GM HEI set up. No further issues.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I haven’t applied it to a boat, but I had a Ford 302 in a 65 Falcon. I changed the the points and condenser to an MSD electronic ignition, MSD box and distributor. Noticeable bump in power, and a huge jump in fuel economy. Also carbed with a Holley 650DP w/ mech. secondaries. That car was fun! Sorry for the sidetrack.

Reactions: castone001
    Upvote 0