Looking for help with a 17 Radon Restoration

cutlass

Mar 29, 2012
Santa Cruz
Name
Nick
Boat Name
Cutlass
This is my first post on these forums but I am a long-time appreciator of the deep knowledge present here. I found my boat and learned about the rich California boat-building heritage combing through these forums and that is why I am choosing to post this here now.

In 2011, after looking at so many Radon pictures on BD that it drove my wife crazy, I came down to Long Beach and purchased a 1979 Radon 17 that had recently been through Don Radon’s shop for a pilothouse upgrade and an outboard conversion. We brought the boat to Santa Cruz and have had 10 awesome years of fishing, crabbing, diving, and other assorted maritime shenanigans with her. Both of my kids learned to walk on this boat. The old girl is looking battle-worn, but she is tough as nails and ready to do another 20 years. However, perhaps first she would like to freshen up….

IMG_0283.jpeg

As anyone reading this likely knows, all the boat shops one would want to take a vintage Radon to for restoration, if one wanted the job done right in a way that honors the heritage of the boat, are pretty darn backed up at the moment with covid related delays and an avalanche of work. So maybe these challenging times require some unorthodox thinking. Instead of bringing the boat to a shop for restoration, my family would like to invite a freelance master boatwright with a positive attitude to come to Santa Cruz to work on the boat in our apple orchard in the Santa Cruz 15 minutes from the beach.

We have a covered workspace for the boat with a great view. We either already own or will acquire any tool or material needed for the job. We can provide private housing or RV parking with utility hookup adjacent to the boat shed nestled in the redwoods. Some of the most iconic west coast sailboats ever built came together in this fashion. Just gettin it done in the Santa Cruz mountains….

The general work list is: some inevitable rot repairs here and there, replace the gas tank, a few other tweaks, full paint, and re-rig. The boat is not all torn up. She has just gotten to the point where if I let things go much further, she actually will start to develop real problems. We think she is a really great little boat and deserving of the investment.

We are offering $60/hr labor + private housing + fresh eggs. Timing is flexible and could be completed in stints. Our goal is to be back on the water by the end of May. We are hoping to find someone with the deep experience and craft to execute those special touches that will really make the boat special.

I hope this post does not draw a bunch of flame but I’m not sure why it would. The BD forum is as good a watering-hole for this solicitation as I think exists, and the BD classifieds does not have a “wanted” section. I can’t figure a better place to put this. Please DM me if interested.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

agarcia

May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat Name
rowboat
2011......I think the the spearboard thread lit the flame for a whole lot of us. If you don't find anyone here, Jeff Chamberlain (Point Arguelo Yacht Club on Instagram) probably as the largest network of west coast boat geeks. He may be able to point you in the right direction or post a wanted ad for you.

Good luck in the search, that looks like such a cool little rig.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat Name
None
Cool opportunity for someone with that kind of flexibility. Very cool boat too. Is it 17' measured to the transom or to the end of the bracket? Is the bracket original equipment or was it installed later on?

Upvote 0

cutlass

Mar 29, 2012
Santa Cruz
Name
Nick
Boat Name
Cutlass
Thanks for the suggestions. The boat is 17' to the transom. The engine bracket, which is more of a hull extension (and a very well done one at that) than a bolt-on Armstrong type was completed by Don Radon in the 2005-2008 timeframe.

Upvote 0