Looking for help and advice on a deep drop swordfish build

Mlutton

May 14, 2004
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
n/a
Hi everyone, looking for some guidance and advice on a new build. This is straying into territory that I'm not familiar with so would love some help.

My build that I'm looking at doing would be a bent butt rod that I would leave in the holder most/all of the fight. I've never built a bent butt rod so I wanted to ask some questions

Blank- Been reading that you want a soft tip blank to help detect the bite. I'm kind of at a loss for which blank to use. The rain shadow RSU60XH-GB is one I've heard people use but wanted to see if anyone else had some thoughts on blanks to use. One question about whichever blank I get, do you leave it at 6' or cut it down some since the bent butt extends it out quite a bit?

For the bent butt do I want the super large one (like the #4) in case I want to go electric at some point? I'm planning on my avet quad TRX for now.

Tip- I think the Winthrop tip sounds like the right choice but is it necessary to be that good(read expensive) or should I do a swiveling tip? Thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Matt

MarMax

Bohica butt Wgasa
Dec 19, 2010
So Cal
Name
Mike
Boat
Parker 2530
I'm new to this as well and built (with help) a rod last summer for the same purpose. To fish in the holder and that has a reasonably light tip for the class of rod and can handle 40# of drag. I ended up using a Super Seeker CTSF63XXXXH blank. The finished rod has a #4 ferrule so in a straight butt it's about 8 feet. I wanted the length to keep the line away from the boat. I went all roller with the wind-on guides since I already had them. Shoot me a PM and I can send you some pics if you want.

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
If your never taking the rod out of the holder what does it matter?A old rockcod rod with new guides and a bent butt is all you need!Your really not going to have that much drag on them with their soft mouth.JMO,Tom

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I have a couple that are made on salty dawg rail blanks and they are damn near perfect.

For guides, just use some heavy duty turbo style guides. No need for a roller tip with braid.

I used the smaller size bent butts. That way the rod can do double duty as a stand up for big bluefin.

Good luck.

Batson-Brands

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 14, 2014
Sequim
www.batsonenterprises.com
Name
James
Boat
Hallet
We’d actually recommend our RCTB70XXH, it’s what we’ve got our charters/guides using for deep drop swordfish.

#4 Aluminum Butt

Run heavy guides, so ALPS HXN’s are perfect for it. No rollers needed for the California swordfish.

Attached is a blueprint with a trolling butt on that blank.

Attachments

Mlutton

May 14, 2004
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
n/a
I have a couple that are made on salty dawg rail blanks and they are damn near perfect.

For guides, just use some heavy duty turbo style guides. No need for a roller tip with braid.

I used the smaller size bent butts. That way the rod can do double duty as a stand up for big bluefin.

Good luck.
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll update when I start

NoSlack

Jun 1, 2003
Spring Valley
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher
I just finished wrapping two rods I'll use next summer. Both are bent butt built on Calstar stand up tuna blanks. 6455xh cut down to 60' for a finish rod of 6'8". The other is a little heavier Calstar BOOMER JR blank cut down to 52" for a finish rod length of 6".

Here is a photo of how they look with 20lbs of pull

Mlutton

May 14, 2004
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
n/a
I just finished wrapping two rods I'll use next summer. Both are bent butt built on Calstar stand up tuna blanks. 6455xh cut down to 60' for a finish rod of 6'8". The other is a little heavier Calstar BOOMER JR blank cut down to 52" for a finish rod length of 6".

Here is a photo of how they look with 20lbs of pull
Did you use the short or long bent butt?

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
I dont know if I'll ever will get a chance to put in to practice what I learn on a couple FB groups dedicated to all thing Swordfishing.
Mostly in the Gulf, SE Fl. NE coast and lots from Down Under where seems everything goes to a different level.
Here is a couple of them.
Broadbil Swordfish
Symposium Swordfish
Interesting still that gets your heart pumping.