Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
IM2MONEY
Im thinking about attempting to target Halibut on my boat this coming weekend around LB San Pedro. Can anyone help lead me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated: areas to focus, rigs. I’ve tried a few times with no luck. Thanks

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
Nacho always says....“go to Cherry Beach”

Upvote 0

Paulle37

Feb 11, 2018
San Pedro
Name
Paul
Boat
1850 sea swirl
IM2MONEY
Im thinking about attempting to target Halibut on my boat this coming weekend around LB San Pedro. Can anyone help lead me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated: areas to focus, rigs. I’ve tried a few times with no luck. Thanks
Ive seen some kayakers come back with some as big as 36” just fishing along the break wall and near the lighthouse They were using a dropper loop with a sardine. Good luck!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The main thing with halibut is that they don't gulp down the prey like a bonito or bass. They strike like a rattlesnake when prey comes into range, and since the smelt or grunion or whatever almost always turns away to flee just as it gets bit, almost always the halibut is biting the back half of the fish. If you try to set the hook with the hook in the front third of the baitfish, you will miss a lot of fish!

That is why a lot of halibut fishermen put a trap hook like a small treble in the back half of the baitfish. But it is easier and just as effective to feel the thump on your line and NOT react, just count to ten one-thousands so that the fish has time to squeeze the prey and then release&gulp headfirst before reeling down and connecting with the fish. And then fight easily, not yanking, because they have a soft mouth behind those sharp little teeth.

Think like an ambush predator, which is what a halibut is. Find a soft bottom near a rock and you are very likely to find a halibut. When the grunion are running here in the spring months, a lot of halibut will lie in the wave-grooves in very shallow water and wait for the buffet to come by.

Oh, and have an 18" wide net on your boat, even a kayak.

Reactions: maurice escobedo
    Upvote 0