pele

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2009
Ventura
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
Don't want to spend more than 400,tops.Will mount on a Browning BAR 30 06.Open to suggestions;dont know much about scopes except more $ is usually better.How can I get decent quality without breaking the bank?

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Lots of nice scopes in that price range. Leupold, Nikon, Redfield. Best to stop by a store with an assortment and check them out yourself. What application will you be using it for? I'm guessing hunting?

FWebb

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 24, 2012
Cave Creek/AZ/USA
Name
Forrest
Boat
Ranger Z521 w/Yami SHO 250
Look at Vortex Viper. Might be a few bucks over 400 but well worth it. I have scopes that cost 5 times what the Vipers cost and I am very impressed with the Vortex Viper scopes...

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I have a BAR in .270, and it is wearing a Nikon Monarch 3 riflescope, 2 - 8 x 32 with bullet drop circles. It cost $300 from L. L. Bean. I would strongly recommend it, even though you are willing to pay more money. Using 130gn Nosler Trophy Grade ammo it shoots extremely accurately, and the bdc circles in the scope make shooting at distance very easy. Sighted-in 1.6 inches high at 100 yards it is exactly at the crosshairs at 200 yards, the first circle down is just seven inches at 300 yards and the second circle down is 400 yards. The duplex crosshairs are very easy to see with a moving deer or coyote, and since I almost never take a shot beyond 300 yards I can essentially put the crosshairs on the top of the shoulder and kill whatever I am looking at. I wanted a lower profile with good light-gathering, and 2 - 8 power covers it nicely. The ballistics on your 30-06 are very similar.

shearwater2

Mar 7, 2008
Long Beach
Name
Tony
Boat
17' whaler
Look at Redfield Accur-Range. They used to be alot cheaper but they are still very accurate.

Try Opticsplanet

Reactions: CaptainLeo

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Don't go cheap on the glass. Spend as much as you did on the rifle is my rule of thumb. Quality glass makes a huge difference, especially in low light.

Fyermanbob

Wahoo!
May 15, 2012
monrovia california usa
Name
Bob
Boat
Excel
My suggestion would be go somewhere with a variety of scopes (Cabelas, BassPro, ect.) and look through them. Buy the brightest and clearest one you can afford. What power you get depends on the type of terrain you plan on hunting, if you are hunting the rain forest of your northwest you probably want something in a 2-8 or 3-9 power if you plan on shooting longer ranges try something that goes to 12 or 14. My personal favorite for budget/quality is the Leopold 2-8, nice and bright, 2 is good for heavy forest and 8 is nice for distance. Pentex and Nikon have come up in quality a lot in the last 10 years. Of course if you can afford them Swarovski and Ziess are unbeatable!

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs

nmbrinkman

Mar 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nathan
Boat
12 oz frosty mug
I have leupold and a nikon monarch. Both good scopes.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Vortex makes decent scopes. Might be a little higher than your budget though.

Sea 2'er

Elk Country USA
May 2, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Gone!
check out cameralandny.com. check their demos for vortex - great prices. Im looking for a spotter from them right now.

MAL44

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 8, 2006
Rancho
Name
Mark
Boat
Proline 170
Vortex diomondback, very impressed with the glass and only 200, I read tons of reviews and they were all excellent, I bought it and love it, also has bdc redicles

pele

May 20, 2009
Ventura
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
Thanks for all the suggestions,I was leaning towards the nikon monarch,really liked the bdc.but will check the vortex tmrw and then pull the trigger pardon the pun.Never knew the gun board had a following.Maybe a few more open ended questions will really get it cranking.Ill start-270 or 30-06 for all around gun.:)

ivane068

Professional hide and seek player..
May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
Vortex, I just picked up a viper pst ebr1 and it blows everything I have ever looked through out of the Water except for night force but that's a $1500-$2500 scope. The first focal plane makes adjustments very easy it. It's illuminated so it works great in low light and you cannot beat the warranty. Check out semper fi depo of Miramar road they sell the viper pst for $250 less than anyone else. They had several other vortex scopes that would fit the 400 dollar budget that normally sell for 500 or more.

They don't have demo models but you can check them out at turners and then just give them the part number unless Turners does price matching.

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Vortex just brought their EBR-2C reticle to the Viper PST line in 6-24x. It's like the Bushnell G2-DMR. I'm getting one.

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
I've got a VX1 on the yote rifle. It gets beat up more than any other scope. Falls on the ice, miles on the rack of the 4 wheeler and its never lost its zero. Warranty is unbeatable and actually US made. The cheap Burris scopes and most all others are made overseas.