Looking for any info on this fish, or his friends

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Zam
Boat
iWish
Balboa Angling Club just posted this on their Facebook.
Screenshot_20200216-204832_Facebook.jpg

Any info about this catch is appreciated 😁

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
4 miles off the coast from san clemente pier to newport. Reports on jds big game tackle site.

Reactions: T-Tang and zam

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Zam
Boat
iWish
Well if this report from JD's Big Game Tackle doesnt get you pumped, check your pulse.

---------------- Feb 16th 2020- Sunday---- still closed on Mondays-- JD

-- Morning light fog lifted off leaving a light marine haze seaward-- blue inland-wind along the coastline light with the lifting marine clouds- seas good

We'll that rumor was right-- Bluefin Tunas , school of them up chasing baits while the Whale watching boat out of Dana were seeking whales but seeing these 20-40lb tunas up crashing the baits-- located some 4 miles off the San Clemente Pier ( that shelf along here)

If I remember correctly , as out approach to catching bluefin tunas has morphed several times over the past seven or eight years since the first years after that last strong El Nino when we had a early season of these smaller bluefin first show up, the spooky fish were long distance cast to with poppers or small hard jigs , others would find an area of fish sign and set up shop , drifting with chunked baits, a live bait caught fish but the chunked 3/4 - 1 inch of anchovies or sardines did very well- lighter weight hooks helped the chunks drift downward more natural. Might be a method worth trying again-- good luck JD

And Bluefin tunas seen today off Newport ----- He thought there were dolphins or porpoius-- but nope- Bluefin tunas-- the Newport Coastal Whale watching boat seeing them ! 4 miles out of the harbor---- 12:20pm

and a Sablefish was taken eariler this week off Newport close to a 30-40lb fish-- ( I think deep dropping) ( kept on the QT )

And a another call-- it's-- wide--- open--- at lest seeing them-- all they had was a small plastic lure for calicos and 8lb test- ! had a few fish turn on it-- but missed it-- 1:19 pm 2 outside the harbor entrance--

-- Vick calls in he's five from the harbor-- bino's reveal bird schools all with fish on them-- maybe a five mile spread of fish!! 2:06pm

and a report of one fish hung just now-- 2:10

Boat just came up to the dock saying there buddy had 10 bluefin!--- 2:19 ??

Up and down-- for now the fish seemed to have gone down-- bait was at around 50 ft- 3:27pm

might be a tide deal ?

One boater even had a kite up--!

weather - nice--

Good luck tomorrow if you get out--

JD

PullOnThis

Feb 28, 2018
California
Name
PullOnThis One
Boat
Floating beer cooler
Let the bluefin watching begin! Every sport boat leaving the docks for the next ten months outside of 5+ day trips will be watching miles of foamers...

I hate bluefin fishing lol. Been on more trips than I would like to remember without a sniff for the entire boat. There’s nothing more frustrating than hucking everything in your bag into the froth all day without a bite.

That said, promptly booking some trips! Let’s get ‘em boys!

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
It will probably only last a few days. It's close to shore which means everyone can reach it. 80% of them are dipshits who don't know how to drive their boats properly so all they will do is spook and drive off the fish. Wont kill it for the whole season but the windy months are coming which will stir it up even further.

And mentioning Sablefish? Jesus. Dude feel like Robin Hood now?

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
It will probably only last a few days. It's close to shore which means everyone can reach it. 80% of them are dipshits who don't know how to drive their boats properly so all they will do is spook and drive off the fish. Wont kill it for the whole season but the windy months are coming which will stir it up even further.

And mentioning Sablefish? Jesus. Dude feel like Robin Hood now?
Everyone tells u this and I gotta agree u are surely one negative dude..

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
There talkin bout bft on the beach in february .. if u dont think your post is negative that's bizarre..
It wouldn't matter if it was in your front yard. You know its probably true.. What, would you rather everyone get together and hold hands and sing songs? That wouldn't change anything either. Still 80% of you couldn't hold hands properly or sing for shit.

michael e. bingham

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Who in the F ck wants to hold hands ? Guys are excited about the possibility of a early epic season everyone I know and fish with only want to hold a loaded up fishing pole , its a big ocean and you can always with a little work make it happen

Reactions: turn the handle

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Who in the F ck wants to hold hands ? Guys are excited about the possibility of a early epic season everyone I know and fish with only want to hold a loaded up fishing pole , its a big ocean and you can always with a little work make it happen
Wtf? I dont want you to hold hands either...

Your problem is since a couple of fish were caught you think its going to turn into an "epic" season. Its not. I hope it does but Im realistic. You guys just jump off the cliff at the slightest mention. Especially when the majority of you are the ones that will screw it up in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: jigsaurus

michael e. bingham

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Ive been fishing out of san diego for over 50 years and we do very well in targeting and catching all species of fish , every year I get to fish wheater out of san diego or my house of 40 years at Puerto San Isidro, it's not always about catching and killing a bunch of fish it's about time on the water with you're buddies and a Great way to escape So don't rain on anyone's parade lets hope for a great Fun, Safe , and long fishing season

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Ive been fishing out of san diego for over 50 years and we do very well in targeting and catching all species of fish , every year I get to fish wheater out of san diego or my house of 40 years at Puerto San Isidro, it's not always about catching and killing a bunch of fish it's about time on the water with you're buddies and a Great way to escape So don't rain on anyone's parade lets hope for a great Fun, Safe , and long fishing season
And I've been fishing for 45+ years out of SD and I guess my time has taught me that every year is different and most years don't go the way it seems they might and to hold my horses until things actually do happen, hence my pessimism especially this early in a season. In any case I'll agree lets hope for a good season for all.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Damn BFT in February!

giphy.gif

Reactions: karlk1125

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Super excited, let the games begin!

Reactions: @-EZ

thrasher949

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
With how green the water was between the islands and the mainland last year Im not surprised. There has been so much bait around they hung around. Most of the fish were spotted from whale watch boats. Most people were fishing bass and this shit popped up and they had the wrong gear. Last year I want to say the first one was caught around April 1st so a couple months early is cool.

With that being said at least its close and not at 60 Mile bank yet. They are gonna be stuck on the microbait so bring your special skills.

Tight lines

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Zam
Boat
iWish
Wow so anyway, bluefin in Feb, pretty cool.

I relate most with Pullonthis, I went on one too many tuna watching trips, high risk high reward and nothing is more frustrating.

And I can't freaking wait to do it all again this year 😎 hahaha sign me up, I will pay my dues again for a season anywhere close to last year's 🤙🤙🤙

GettinUglysSon

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 26, 2005
So Cal
Name
Glendon
Boat
Grady White 257 Advance
Am I reading this right? It's wide open hang holding in someone's front yard, but they won't share the coordinates (maybe on Fish Dope?) because 80% of the people will drive over them killing them instantly?

Last edited:
Reactions: maurice escobedo