Start Me Up Sportfishing

special k

Jun 13, 2012
pc/HI
Name
mk
Boat
special k
I'm a long time fisherman and boat owner. Have assisted other boater and also been assisted myself. I firmly believe we boat owners need to look out for each other. Its a large ocean out there.

Went out on a friends boat this past Friday 8-4-17, after hearing that the ahi was biting in the Kauai channel. Got to the area bout 0930, trolled around but couldn't find the fish so we start to head north. Around 1100 we hear on the CB a boater asking for a radio check, as soon as someone answers this boater (lets call him UGF) replies that he got stalled while fighting a fish and is in the area of dog mouth and requesting for assistance. Radio goes quite. UGF does this again 15 minutes later. Several boaters say they are not in the area. At this point we are at least 17 miles away from the dog mouth. My friends decides to turn around and head in UGF's direction just in case no one goes to assist. An hour goes by and UGF does his radio check thing several more times at a point sounded like small kine panicking. Around 1300 we get to the area of dog mouth and call UGF and ask for his coordinates from Waianae harbor. He gives 19 miles at 155 degrees. Numbers don't match and ask again. Same #. We look around more and call again, now he says 20 at 158. Tell him we looking but numbers don't match to dog mouth. 10 minutes later he gives the right #s and we find him about 21 miles at about 88 degrees. No other boats I sight. Boat "KEY LARGO" Blue and white 24 ft. glassply flybridge solo fisherman.Tie him up around 1330 and get to the harbor around 1800. We both load trailers and head to the wash rack. At the wash rack UGF walks over to my friend and shakes his hand and says "Eh tanks Ah" and walks away. I'm washing boat so not paying attention. UGF finishes washing up the "KEY LARGO" and drives off. I ask my friend what else did UGF say, he says that's it. WTF!!!! We cut our fishing day short go out of our way and tow this guy in 22 miles and all he could say is "Eh thanks Ah." Did not give his name or ask ours, no small talk, no offer to pay for fuel or fish which he probably had in his cooler. Nothing. I guess this guy life and boat only worth a "Eh thanks Ah".

Just posting this to get off my chest and just remind other boaters that we should be looking out for each other and if you are the recipient of a tow to be a little more grateful than 'eh thanks ah"

BTW UGF = UNGTATEFUL F____ !!!
tow the boat.jpg

Upvote 0

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
That is a real bummer. Maybe the guy was shaken a bit, and a little embarrassed or something?

Still that is a shame.

What goes around will come around.. both ways here.

I have rendered and received and at sea in roughly equal measures. It is an unspoken law of mariners to be aware of what's going on out There, and to render assistance if called upon. Unfortunately, gratitude can be in somewhat short supply these days.

I hope this doesn't make you think twice about helping out in the future.

Thanks for sharing!

John

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
Bugga!!! good on you for being on the spot and lending more than a hand.........

Reactions: finishright
Upvote 0

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Awesome job on the tow in, good karma for you. I was towed in 5 years ago and still remember the guys name. Bummers to hear that but you did the right thing and all us other guys appreciate that

Upvote 0

mike gaudenti

CARNAGE
Oct 13, 2009
Salt lake
Name
Carnage
Boat
21 force
That's how to do it. Help em out. I've towed in a few guys. Must be a horrible feeling to be stuck and needing to depend on others. he might not have been in his right mind after that. At least everyone good. I can only imagine one fat pile of fish will cross your jigs soon!!! Go get em

Upvote 0

pmolenda

Jul 23, 2016
Kaneohe
Name
Patrick
Boat
Three Mermaids
It's a big, unforgiving ocean around here. Very comforting to know that there are people like you out there who will drop everything to come to the aid of a stricken mariner - and at great expense. As we say in the Navy. BRAVO ZULU meaning well done shipmate.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
MK and crew,
Good on ya, for whatever reasons UGF did profess more gratitude, he is safe and that is what you provided him. I had towed someone in a few years ago, to this day we still chat regularly, he is/was the opposite of a UGF.

Again, feel good about what you did, I am sure UGF will never forget your act.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: conor
Upvote 0

Da rabbit

Jun 2, 2014
Name
Da rabbit
Boat
Force
Howzit, you guys did the right thing by going and getting this guy. Bummers that he didn't show a lot more gratitude for your good deed. But it is what it is, no let this stay inside you and keep wondering WTF. Some people are just who they are. What if you didn't go get this guy and later found out that he was never found? You would regret not responding to request for help. You guys showed plenty Aloha! It cut short your day of fishing not to mention wear/tear on your boat towing another boat in. Going forward, you gonna catch plenty fish brah!! What's the name of your boat, so everybody know you ever get in trouble to come help/get you. Last year three guys died in that same channel cuz nobody went to help them when they had engine trouble. God bless you guys for doing the right thing but let the bad feelings toward this guy get outta your system. aloha!

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
I towed a boat in from just east of the Farrallon Islands and Coasties made him pay me! They would not let him leave until he established a payment! He gave me $200.00. I took it and left! He was upset on having to pay!

Reactions: s//m_cinco
Upvote 0

Slow Poke

SeaKhunt
Jun 6, 2010
Kailua, HI.
Name
Jeff
Boat
21' Kencraft
Good on you guys! A day of fishing lost is minor compared to a life! Im sure the guy was shaken up but at least a 12 pack and a hug would have been good. Good Karma will come your way.

Reactions: Pelagics1
Upvote 0

thebigdog123

Almost A Member
Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
Good to get it off your chest. You did the right and only thing. Makes me think of the ahi run (last year?), when the skiff with 3 souls was disabled and lost. Rumor was they were ignored by others that could have helped. No fish is worth more than a human life and it's really unfortunate to know there a few out there that go deaf in times of need. Good Karma bra, tight lines.

Upvote 0

somaz

Dec 7, 2011
mililani Hi. USA
Name
Blayne Soma
Boat
none
I'm a long time fisherman and boat owner. Have assisted other boater and also been assisted myself. I firmly believe we boat owners need to look out for each other. Its a large ocean out there.

Went out on a friends boat this past Friday 8-4-17, after hearing that the ahi was biting in the Kauai channel. Got to the area bout 0930, trolled around but couldn't find the fish so we start to head north. Around 1100 we hear on the CB a boater asking for a radio check, as soon as someone answers this boater (lets call him UGF) replies that he got stalled while fighting a fish and is in the area of dog mouth and requesting for assistance. Radio goes quite. UGF does this again 15 minutes later. Several boaters say they are not in the area. At this point we are at least 17 miles away from the dog mouth. My friends decides to turn around and head in UGF's direction just in case no one goes to assist. An hour goes by and UGF does his radio check thing several more times at a point sounded like small kine panicking. Around 1300 we get to the area of dog mouth and call UGF and ask for his coordinates from Waianae harbor. He gives 19 miles at 155 degrees. Numbers don't match and ask again. Same #. We look around more and call again, now he says 20 at 158. Tell him we looking but numbers don't match to dog mouth. 10 minutes later he gives the right #s and we find him about 21 miles at about 88 degrees. No other boats I sight. Boat "KEY LARGO" Blue and white 24 ft. glassply flybridge solo fisherman.Tie him up around 1330 and get to the harbor around 1800. We both load trailers and head to the wash rack. At the wash rack UGF walks over to my friend and shakes his hand and says "Eh tanks Ah" and walks away. I'm washing boat so not paying attention. UGF finishes washing up the "KEY LARGO" and drives off. I ask my friend what else did UGF say, he says that's it. WTF!!!! We cut our fishing day short go out of our way and tow this guy in 22 miles and all he could say is "Eh thanks Ah." Did not give his name or ask ours, no small talk, no offer to pay for fuel or fish which he probably had in his cooler. Nothing. I guess this guy life and boat only worth a "Eh thanks Ah".

Just posting this to get off my chest and just remind other boaters that we should be looking out for each other and if you are the recipient of a tow to be a little more grateful than 'eh thanks ah"

BTW UGF = UNGTATEFUL F____ !!!View attachment 857063

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
You did the right thing. It's a big ocean out there. You don't have to get too far from shore here to be in the deep blue.

Upvote 0

shaneboi

Aug 8, 2017
waipio
Name
shane
Boat
que-largo
I'm the guy you towed....my name is Shane and I am appreciative for you guys coming too help me....no get me wrong I was rite there behind you guys by the wash rack i came out too thank you guys first person was you i went up to....too thank you and shake your hand and make small talk...i remember saying so where is this boat from...in return you said its from kapolei .....then you jus turned your back and said not me talk too the owner.....so I waited until the owner came out of his truck so then I approached him too thank him for assisting me....and small talk with him also....but yet again I had the back and all I was thinking jus because they get one beautiful boat I no need be treated like I'm beneath you guys....not even what bradda what you think the problem is...but nothing...no get me wrong you two guys is some big boys ....and I'm jus a small built guy so I never like be like one irritating Chiuahua....im mean I did my share of assistance myself but hey come on ....i felt intimidated....but I was never ashamed of being of needing assistance....and if you think I wasn't thankful....you got me wrong....and if you think otherwise you may call me...8095481454....cause I think this message was uncalled for....trying too make me look stupid....once again....A Big MAHALO to you guys...thank you ...
Aloha.....#tightlines#

Upvote 0

shaneboi

Aug 8, 2017
waipio
Name
shane
Boat
que-largo
I'm the guy you towed....my name is Shane and I am appreciative for you guys coming too help me....no get me wrong I was rite there behind you guy by the wash rack i came out too thank you guys first person was you i went up to....too thank you and shake your hand and make small talk...i remember saying so where is this boat from if it kapolei .....then you jus turned your back and said not me talk too the owner.....so I waited until the owner came out of his truck so then I approached him too thank him for assisting me....and small talk with him also....but yet again I had the back and all I was thinking jus because they get one beautiful boat I no need be treated like I'm beneath you guys....not even what bradda what you think the problem is...but no get me wrong you two guys is some big boys ....and I'm jus a small built guy so I never like be like one irritating Chiuahua....im mean I did my share of assistance myself but hey come on ....

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Shane I would've thanked them again, no excuses for not making yourself and feeling of Gratefulness known. Those little Chihuahua's make themselves known and heard. But you appear to be more focused on intimidation and in return you are on the defensive. Just say thank you and offer a lure or something! Gas money is always a gesture of gratefulness!

Upvote 0

special k

Jun 13, 2012
pc/HI
Name
mk
Boat
special k
Brada Shane, nice to meet you. I was hoping and glad you read my post. I posted it to remind fellow boaters that we all should be looking out for each other and that if you are helped out, show some appreciation and aloha. Not trying to make you stupid. Sorry you feel that way and sorry you thought I looked intimidating (usual described as fat and old) and looked down on you cuz my friend had a nice boat. While towing you I even commented to my friend that I thought you had a nice boat and even had a radar set up. I would never turn my back to another fisherman, always good to get to know fellow fishermen. Get lots of useful information to be exchanged and may be can catch more fish. Had no regrets helping you out and would do it again but some appreciation and aloha at that time would have been nice. May be next time you see me at the harbor come up introduce yourself and talk story. No worry, I may be fat and old but I not going bite. I have a 23 glass pro.

To all you fellow fishermen who replied, Aloha plenty for all the positive comments. Good to know get lots of conscience fishermen out there. Hope get one more ahi bite this season and we all hanapaa!!

Upvote 0

Da rabbit

Jun 2, 2014
Name
Da rabbit
Boat
Force
What I think I know now...... The guys that did the towing showed plenty Aloha by responding to your distress call and towing you in. You, by responding to this blog and informing everyone that you were the disabled boat owner showed me that you get one good heart and that you appreciated their help. Whatever misconceptions you guys had at the wash rack should be like the water you used to rinse off your boat, right down the drain. Bruddahs did the right thing by getting you.You alive and safe. Hopefully everything be pono in the end

Upvote 0

C Craft 23

Almost A Member
Feb 3, 2010
Hawaii
Name
Tony
Boat
SeaCraft 23 WA
It sounds like a case of misunderstanding. I know personally after a long day on the water getting rocked and rolled I can feel (and probably look) pretty nasty by the time I get to the washdown so people might not want to talk. This being said, some of the nastiest-looking individuals I have seen turned out to be most helpful once I broke the ice and struck up a conversation.

Reactions: pmolenda
Upvote 0