Looking For Advise On Dealing With Insurance Company

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by WaveDancer, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Insurance companies, even your own. Are not your friend.

LJB, WaveDancer, Elkfins and 3 others like this.
  2. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Lots of good advise, thank you for your input.

WD.

3. Fish Slapper

Fish Slapper I would love to be your Captain for a day!

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
    I have the same and never had an issue...I have also been on the other side as a business owner and depending on amount of damage I simply just paid the repair shop of the persons choosing out of my pocket so my insurance did not go up...but I never had anyone wait months to settle the claim eithet

4. aznnite

aznnite Newbie

Name:
    Ike
    Boat:
    johnson
    I would also look into making a Diminished Value claim. Because of the accident, the value of the truck would "Diminish" since there was no prior accident.
    Talk to a local GM dealership or an auto appraiser. I will bet you of you were trade in your truck to the dealership, due to the accident record, they will most likely deduct some money on your trade in value.

5. fishn1003

fishn1003 Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    n/a
    your rates dont go up if your not at fault. if you have decent to good insurance company, you also dont pay your deductable when you arent at fault

6. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    Lots to learn from this experience gents,

Your best bet is to not talk about ins. Claims online. Step one. Step two is be honest. Step three is choose your shop, its your choice in wa. Step four, get car repaired with parts that ins will buy, Oem or not, this is their choice, after all you chose the shop. Once you choose a shop your stuck with their choice. If they chose the shop you could have moved it and gotten different parts. BUT since you chose the shop unwisely they decided you only needed cheap parts, their dicisssion was yours based on choosing the, to do repair. As for getting. Check for less than the repair. That’s due to step two, you must be honest, since you asked for check, they know you may pocket the money (which is your choice and right) but they gave you less because of that. If you had them issue check to the shop, and actually had ALL the work done, then they would have paid for all repairs, and more if needed. Not with OEM parts, but you chose that problem yourself. Sounds to me like you had a chance to fix the truck, thought you could make a small token for the pain in the ass and thought that it would include getting fixed to the 10 out of 10 it wasn’t before the accident. Step one and two is also how the law works

What you need to do from here is take the check and the car to the repair shop and let them finish. If you cashed the check and didnt bring a check of that value to the shop youre SOL cause their ain’t no paper trail an in the INS. World you are guilty as fuck until proven honest.

7. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    What dream world are you living in? Insurance company’s us every excuse in the world to raise your rates.My Wife was T-boned a few years ago and our rates went up, the reason the insurance company gave ( GEICO ) was that she wasn’t a defensive driver. We don’t have that insurance company any more.

Rellis and Genie Aye like this.
  8. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

Wow! Did you make some assumptions about him.... You must not have read his story or you are making more assumptions that he is a liar and not telling us the truth.... He clearly outlined that he had not cashed the check, but it was getting close to the expiration date. I felt completely opposite that he was the original owner of his cream puff truck and has been aloof and procrastinated about getting the repairs done rather than jumping in their shit to get it fixed.

As for their right to use non OEM parts you are probably not correct in many of your statements. Although you are in the auto world and you may parrot back this stuff to clients it doesn’t make it true. There has been a long standing argument and it is one that attorneys make plenty of money defending and many insurance companies know quite well that there are differences in quality of non oem; they do it to save money.

If you are not at fault and the damage is negligence on the part of another, you are entitled to have your vehicle returned to “pre-loss” condition. Using non OEM parts that weigh less and have thinner metal is not pre-loss. Insurance companies loose this battle all the time. They stuff non-oem parts down throats all the time and save millions, but when pushed back they know they will loose in litigation, so they use OEM.

Additionally, with Carfax and all the electronic records another big thing as mentioned above is the diminished value claim. Regardless of how your vehicle is fixed the value is now slightly less than it was before...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    WaveDancer likes this.
  9. fishn1003

fishn1003 Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    n/a
    thats your fault - you had Geico, as my post said “decent to good” you had neither LOL

If you had or have something like AAA, State Farm, etc, not at fault accidents do NOT raise your rates, and you DO NOT pay your deductable - or at least I dont because I am dreaming which is fine because my rates go down every year and only paid a deductable 1x because I was at fault 15 years ago

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. Genie Aye

Genie Aye FISH BOSS

Name:
    Cap't Paul
    Boat:
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
    Insurance companies do NOT have to use oem parts, just equivalent. Per Washington state law. Period.

11. Sky-Guy

Sky-Guy Member

Name:
    Ryley
    Boat:
    Cutwater 302
    Which sucks and I commend you for fighting on this issue. I got jacked on this issue a couple years ago when some lady rear ended me in my Denali. The replacement bumper was chinese crap parts and it still looks like shit on the back of my rig. I didnt ask if they would use OEM parts I assumed they would...The lines don't match the rig like the old bumper did and it reeks of cheap replacement.

WaveDancer likes this.
  12. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    Ive had several crap bumpers start rusting flaking ect within a year ,, this is a BS deal.. We pay big for and get in return crap.. Corporate america just keeps sharping the knife..

WaveDancer likes this.
  13. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    That is where the real dispute starts.... OEM equivalent means same thickness weight etc... The first thing they have to prove is how the parts are equivalent, and if they can’t show same weight, thickness etc.... they loose in litigation.... the devil is in the details.... many states allow factory equivalent, but the dispute boils down to Non-OEM not being equivalent.

WaveDancer likes this.
  14. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    I’m sorry I was wrong, my wife corrected me and said that at that time we had PEMCO. When I was a lot younger I worked at a car dealership, they had a body shop and being a service writer I delt with insurance adjusters on a daily basis and am quite aware of all the under handed tricks that they use

15. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    WOW.

I am saving this, (your post), in my quote so it can't be deleted/edited by you later.

I will start with this Benny, where the FUCK do you see that "I" asked for and cashed an insurance check??????

Like I said in my original post they sent me a check without me ever asking for it and once again Benny, I NEVER CASHED IT, it's still within inches of me typing this right now.

You want me to post a picture of it Benny???

That's all for now, I will add more later once I cool down.

WD

wils likes this.
  16. Genie Aye

Genie Aye FISH BOSS

Name:
    Cap't Paul
    Boat:
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
    That is not the way it works with insurance, if aftermarket says they are equivalent, insurance accepts that. It is not right, but that is how it works in Wa.

wils likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.