crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
That thing looks gorgeous but have it independently appraised before you fall in love with it.

Always remember, if you can afford you earned it.

Upvote 0

JACKPOTER

Nov 3, 2006
Port Aransas, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
That thing looks gorgeous but have it independently appraised before you fall in love with it.

Always remember, if you can afford you earned it.
Thanks. I took the specs and the pictures I took during my inspection of the boat to a certified place in San Diego and they said I should offer 22k. The owner wouldn't have it...

Upvote 0

DOWNLOW

Oct 29, 2005
san jose
Name
jeff
Boat
PUPULE II 21' 1976 Whaler Revenge
Make sure you hire a good boat surveyor. I just passed on a boat that looked very awesome and even was repowered with a low hour F300 Yamaha. Although the motor and trailer were sound, the transom on the hull proved to be shotty. It also had a ton of water in the hull. I may have walked away $250 in the hole for the survey but I think it was money well spent.

By the way, $250 was just for half the survey. Majority of good boat surveys will run you $350-$500.

Google: Boat Surveyor San Diego. That should give you a decent starting place. Goodluck.

Upvote 0

calicopro

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2003
La Mesa
Visit site
Name
Larry
Boat
17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
That boat has been up on Craigslist for a while now. Definitely should get the boat surveyed. I had a certified mechanic check out an e-tec motor that I wanted to buy (off of craigslist), and he helped me make an informed decision on the motor, and was able to point out to me that the motor had been rebuilt, even though it was not being represented as such. Got the owner to come down 800 bucks on his cost.

Bottom line, get it surveyed now, or cry a river later...

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Looks like a great boat and if they just refitted it, they should have seen any structural problems at the time. I'd say 29k is steep with a gas motor but 22k may be on the lower end, especially if it has good electronics package, I didn't look to see.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

beardog629

Mar 1, 2010
vista
Name
Kelly
Boat
Blackman 23
if the fuel tanks haven't been replaced along with the deck beware,,pm sent, i have the same boat,,1981

Upvote 0

JACKPOTER

Nov 3, 2006
Port Aransas, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
Thanks for all of the replies. The entire boat was said to have been gone through. There was one area on the deck that was replaced. I put my head in every nook and cranny and all seemed visually sound. I am no "expert" so that is why I will hire one. I plan to have Mario from Boat Grotto come out on the sea trial to test all the systems. It sounds like I might need to do another survey as well. We must agree on a price before the next step. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
Definitely - have a Marine Survey of the Hull, and a Mechanical Survey of the Engine and Drive. It's 2 separate surveys.
This is money well spent, as repairs for hidden damage will be costly.

A few years back I surveyed a 26 Outer Banks that looked clean. The owner had 10's of thousands of dollars in receipts from a sinking. The local yard piled on the insurance claim.

However, my Survey done by Kozwel Boatworks in Santa Anna revealed an Imminent Danger of the outdrive blowing up, ($10,000 replacement) and a Head Gasket leak that was undetectable - until they used the UV Light and ran it under load. ($1800)

The deal did not happen because the owner refused to accept the survey findings or address the issues - even though the oil analysis was done by Caterpillar.
- I gladly walked away.

- The owner subsequently had to replace the entire outdrive unit after our deal fell through. lol
I still have the survey here as a reminder to Trust, but Verify.

That said, if your 23 Albacore passes survey or has minimum issue they are a nice boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
I'd pass and get a newer boat with a Yamaha 4 stroke. Your little boat was turn-key.

My 1st boat was a 20' Blackman. I don't like I/O's. I can pretty much guarantee this boat will not be turn-key for long.

Upvote 0

JACKPOTER

Nov 3, 2006
Port Aransas, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
25' Skipjack SEA LEVEL
Thanks for the input. All boats have their problems and I am trying to find one that will be dependable because I fish often (1+ times a week). The electronics package and macrolon (sp?) enclosure are really nice. The only work that needs to be done, as stated by owner, is to oil the teak. I would love for this boat to be the one because of Blackman's long standing history in San Diego and the beautiful lines of the hull. The owner won't be back in town until Monday, so I wanted to be better prepared for next discussion.

Upvote 0