FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat Name
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Is anyone fishing the PCH Custom Spinning rods. In particular the PCHP-S-761H 50-80#. Opinions on build.

What reel do you have on it, line weight and how much drag are you fishing on it or how much drag do you think the rod can handle?

Looking to fish wahoo and mid grade tuna on it.

Reactions: esgeo
Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    Your rod is rated 50-80. It should be able to handle 20lbs of drag fine.

For the reels the best imo are:

Shimano:
    Saragosa 8000-10000
    Twin power 8000

Penn:
    Slammer III HS 6500

Try to get Prospec braid. Berkely prospec is thinner and a lot softer than other braids, also stronger than some. I would fill all of them with 60lb solid. If you got a brand like Izorline or Powerpro solid then your fingers are ganna get cut because it's not very soft and easy on your hands.

All would fit the rod perfect, all based on your $$$ but those are what would probably work the best, that's a nice rod. Get a quality reel for it.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    I don't own the rod. I was looking for feedback on action and perceived ability. Most of the PCH rods fish the upper end of their line rating but the rail rods seem better at the lower end. Since I have on experience with the spinning rods I wanted to know where they fall with regard to their line rating. I guess I did not ask the right question at the beginning.

I am looking to pair it with a Slammer III 6500. So thanks for the confirmation on that.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    I don't own the rod. I was looking for feedback on action and perceived ability. Most of the PCH rods fish the upper end of their line rating but the rail rods seem better at the lower end. Since I have on experience with the spinning rods I wanted to know where they fall with regard to their line rating. I guess I did not ask the right question at the beginning.

I am looking to pair it with a Slammer III 6500. So thanks for the confirmation on that.
    They use 24 ton carbon blanks. They have some type of carbon finish on the tip on the rail rods not sure about spinners. They use this to make a recoil in the rod still maintaining little weight. Should be able to hold up under a lot of pressure.

If your unsure about what line rateing to fish on it than do this. Put your reel on, hook up some line to a scale (100lb test mono to be safe) and pull until you feel it's bottomed out. If the scale shows that it holds 20 lbs it will be able to fish 20lbs of drag and 20 lbs of drag can be fished on 80-100lb line. If it holds around 15 then fish 65. If your unsure about what rateing they put why not test it yourself to pick the best for that rod.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None

I hear the Okuma Makaira spinning rods are very very good. One bder tested one against a Black hole and he said it was almost the same, just the Black hole was slightly lighter. For a price of $110 that should be interesting.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    If your unsure about what rateing they put why not test it yourself to pick the best for that rod.

No local shops carry these rods or I would simply test it out myself. I will have to order on line and was hoping someone on here had already done the testing or had fished them so that I would not have to guess which one to buy.

Where are you finding these rods for $110?

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    No local shops carry these rods or I would simply test it out myself. I will have to order on line and was hoping someone on here had already done the testing or had fished them so that I would not have to guess which one to buy.

Screenshot_20200801-121610.png

These will handle 30lbs of drag I believe. If you get that PCH then just fish 60lb test and you can fish 20 lbs of drag for sure. I would go with the Makaira though.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    FishRock,
    Keep in mind that these Okuma Makaira rods noted above are Popping Rods. A true popping rod is heavy at the tip and parabolic. If that's the case, these rods may not be suitable for your needs.

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    I have one. I think it’s a great rod both for casting and for fighting a fish. I have had more success with stickbaits than poppers with it, but maybe that has been unrelated to the rod action. I fish it with a Stella 8k w maxel 16k spool upgrade. 60# jb hollow to short leader. It’s got great backbone, but I highly recommend a little rod belt to really give em the business. i probably set my drag high teens and bump up to low 20s as needed. Caught a couple fish like this with it and each was at the gaff in under 10 minutes
    B5A98FAF-D8A2-4858-9A06-D95BF9CC1CA4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor

If this purchase is for our up coming 15 day and it might be a one time deal, I have a Daiwa Proteus PRTB76 HFS that you can borrow. It's rated for 55-80# braid. Feels like a 50-60# rod, but don't really know until you pull on it. It's new, haven't used it yet.

That way, you won't have to carry another rod all the way from Alaska.

I also have a Clash6000 to pair with it if you want. Or a SpinfisherV 6500.

And I will deliver them to you in San Diego.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    FishRock,
    Keep in mind that these Okuma Makaira rods noted above are Popping Rods. A true popping rod is heavy at the tip and parabolic. If that's the case, these rods may not be suitable for your needs.
    Spinning rods should be popping rods most of the time. That's the main use for spinners on these boats, that and throwing Plugs. It should be suitable for all his needs.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    If this purchase is for our up coming 15 day and it might be a one time deal, I have a Daiwa Proteus PRTB76 HFS that you can borrow. It's rated for 55-80# braid. Feels like a 50-60# rod, but don't really know until you pull on it. It's new, haven't used it yet.

That way, you won't have to carry another rod all the way from Alaska.

I also have a Clash6000 to pair with it if you want. Or a SpinfisherV 6500.

And I will deliver them to you in San Diego.

Kub,

Thank you! I will let you know what I end up doing. Hauling another rig is not something I want to do unless I really think it is worth it.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0