Looking for abalone veneer

fishinkid2010

Jun 24, 2009
San Diego, CA / Waco, TX
Name
Tyler
Boat
Skeeter 21i w Yamaha SHO 250
I guess I should add "at a reasonable price"... the stuff I found on google either wants you to buy multiple sheets, that are pretty spendy, or ships from the other side of the globe, with shipping more than what the sheet costs.

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
here is some on Ebay that are reasonable..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abalone-Paua-Shell-Veneer-Laminate-4-Luthier-Inlay-/160935157226?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25787b9dea
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Fishing-Rod-Lures-Paua-Abalone-Veneer-3-x5-5-/251201874866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7ccc6bb2

I have some but I think it's too thick for what you're looking for..the next time I go to the Philippines (probably in March of next year) for work, I'll bring some shell veneers back with me from our factory where we farm abalone and other more exotic shells there are our OEM facility..I'll let you know when I have some..or if there's other shell aside from Abalone that you like, we probably have it there..
here are a couple of photos of some of the shells I brought back....the black lip shell (bottom pic on left) is really cool looking..these pics don't give them any justice..they are really rich/vibrant..

Attachments

Feb 17, 2008
Monrovia, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
None
^^^^ Cool looking shells there. Be careful of the ebay stuff - I bought some recently that was waaaaay too stiff to wrap around a rod. They would work ok to break up into pieces to a do a G-urushi, though.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
Let me know if you want an ab shell to try and make your own. Not sure how they get it thin enough to be flexible.

Rodcrafter

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 26, 2010
Central Coast of Cal
Angler's Envy has some really good ab to work with, ask for the pliable sheets. It's not the same as in your pic, but I've worked with both and prefer the stuff from Angler's as it doesnt have the micro-checked look when applied.

red34

Aug 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Name
Brice
Boat
Mako 2201 Inshore
I personally buy the new Mudhole stuff, but have had samples from Angler's Envy. I only continued through Mudhole because of the ease of keeping all my supplies at one shop.