looking for a safe, "non-local friendly" place to camp/fish

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by EJ392, Feb 25, 2012.

1. hawaiiantuna

hawaiiantuna Go big Tuna or go Home

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    Sold-Alii Kai Lady Christine
    Ab take it from a local boy who worked the mean streets of Honolulu (HPD) 12 years if I got a bad it was local on local violence someone crossed someone family or a haole that start a problem with a local and got his ass handed to him then called police. 9 times out of 10 it was his attitude that got him screwed! If it was local on mainland haole it was a local druggie doing a robbery. That can happen anywhere. As far as mainland people I work as an officer in Washington state and while fishing a public river got threatened by two local white guys that threaten to kick my ass if I did not get off thier river. These two white guys called me a "fucking Mexican" because of my pidgen accent and there ignorance. So I have not had the greatest experience while living here. 8 years I retire and move back to Hawaii .

2. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    You can camp and fish safely on the island of Lanai. Talk to some of the people at Richard's Shopping Center and they can clue you into some possibilities.

Hard to find rental cars, tho.

3. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........

I never said that I didn't meet friendly people or make disparaging remarks about anyone personally even though some of that "Aloha" spirit sure rang out in some of those emails. I never said I was mugged or accosted. My comments were all meant to make someone aware that camping on a public beach on Oahu with two young daughters isn't such a great idea. My other comments are just an opinion based on my own observations. I think I struck a nerve with some of those with a venomous attitude and their comments only showed their own ass and simply proved my point....

Just curious... there have been a few remarks from those here as well as yourself with what I suspect is Samoan heritage and how offended you and they were to be confused with being "Mexican"..... doesn't those comments suggest something if you think about it?

4. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai

hey ab boy next time you come to hawaii give me a shout, ill show u some aloha spirit.

5. Blue Seas Fab

Blue Seas Fab Moderator Advertiser

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra

Really? Whats up with this? The guy has an opinion, based on his experiences. You dont agree with him. No need to threaten people, all that does is reinforce negative attitudes. I've never had an issue in the Islands that I wasn't responsible for in one way or another, but, we've all heard the stories. Some true, some not. However, I WOULD NOT recommend a guy taking his family out camping on local beaches on Oahu for the most part. I dont think you would either.

6. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai
    just to refresh everyones memory. basicly the way i read it he has nothing good to say about anyone or our islands. you lived here for a little over a year and came to this conclusion? :finger:

7. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
  8. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........

Just because I didn't say anything that you liked doesn't mean I don't have anything nice to say about the Islands of Hawaii...........

Just to be clear...... As a US tax paying citizen......those are "MY" islands too....

For those that bitch about being taken over 300 years ago you should think about what life would be like as you enjoy all the benefits of welfare and technology as you have it today.........

Research your own history..... life under the King wasn't very nice unless you were part of the royal family......

9. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai
    :rofl::finger:

10. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    I second that. This guy is something else...

11. Blue Seas Fab

Blue Seas Fab Moderator Advertiser

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra

A couple things, I agree, they are our ( all US people) Islands, but, they are the Hawaiians Islands first, kinda like California is Californians, but with a bit more history. I agree that It is odd to be debating on that subject. Kind of like debating that California is Mexicos, or that we ( The US ) didnt have the right to purchase Louisiana since the Spanish and the French stole it from the natives.

Generalization are always going to be inflamatory. All Hawaiians are not welfare recipients or ice heads.

As far as "life under the King", the "King" shed allot of blood to "bring the people of Hawaii under his rule"

This is a thread about Camping on Oahu.

-or-

it will cease to exist.

12. riceman1011

riceman1011 Newbie

Name:
    Jeffrey Tedmori
    Boat:
    30Ft Wellcraft Scarab Tournament CC "Paddy Rat"
    For all that don't believe that catching fish off Oahu is possible hear this. I was in Waikiki in the end of January for a college sailing regatta. Over the week that I was there sailing, every morning I would step onto the sand and catch all the Papio that I wanted. Though small, they are still extremely fun to catch and release. With the occasional 2lber it made things exciting. On average i would have 10-15 fish mornings, but i did have a couple days where I'd catch 25+ in a matter of hours. It is possible to catch fish in the midst of tourism, you just have to make sure to be fishing with the right gear. I started out fishing with my mainland knowledge, and caught nothing. I met one local who taught me a new technique, and it was game on. Don't be discouraged, it is definitely possible. There is life, just not as abundant as the other islands. I even caught a couple Barracuda and the almighty lizard fish.

13. hawaiiantuna

hawaiiantuna Go big Tuna or go Home

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    Sold-Alii Kai Lady Christine
    Hey Ab if you look at my avatar........not samoan and never mistaken for samoan. Come from long line of Pacheco's. Brah if you can not tell if I get samoan I understand your problems and misunderstandings.......I actually feel sorry for what you experience in Hawaii.

14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    ab boy you took my dollah!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjY_27HlXw[/ame]

15. C Craft 23

C Craft 23 Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    SeaCraft 23 WA
    O.k. -- o.k. -- I have not read this whole complete thread but I think I get the pictures. I have lived here forever and my pops is from the friendly isle. I think everyone needs to cut ab-boy a break. He had some snide remarks but let's not get over-sensitive about it. All of the island have some bad apples -- does anyone remember Dana Ireland? It is something to remember but 99% of the people you meet will be nice to you and a smile will get you a long way. Of course, there the hard-core bad acts just like any big city of one million people - ones that actually take pride in hurting innocent people. I have not had any problem for decades, but even a local boy got in a fight with a drunk asshole at the beach years ago and got my butt kicked and a big cut inside my mouth from my teeth and his fist because he was throwing rocks and hitting my surfboard. There are actually some genuine criminals out there.

16. Kaimana537

Kaimana537 Newbie

Name:
    Les
    Boat:
    24' Saltwater

Back on topic...i think the site you're looking at is the state park. try googling "friends of malaekahana", its a private camp site...i think its a few dollars a day per person but it actually has restroom facilities and hot showers (sometimes) but most of all its secured at night and they have security that keeps things safe. Lots of families and kids...we've been camping there for the past 10 years and had a problem once. we called the front desk and they sent security immediately and they settled the situation and everyone was happy.

Good luck and have a great time here!