Looking for a new Salmon/steelhead rod to fish the surf in San Diego. Help a fella out

SDJIRICEK

Jan 5, 2005
SAN DIEGO
Name
SCOTT
Boat Name
N/A
Looking for a new Salmon/Steelhead rod to fish the surf in San Diego and cast lures off the MB jetty. I've already got a ML 8'6" Fenwick Eagle paired with a Penn 4000 Fierce3 that I use for perch, croaker and corbina. It's all fine but I want something a little heavier for whipping 3/4- 1oz lures out past the surf for larger surf species like Halibut. The 8'6 isn't cutting it and feels overloaded. I've narrowed it down to the Okuma SST-902MA and M Moderate action rod 8-17lb, the Daiwa North Coast NC902MHFS MH Fast 8-17lb, the Fenwick Eagle EAG90M-MS-2 MH Fast 10-20lb all rated to 1oz. lures and an Lamiglas X-11 8'6" H Fast 12-25lb rated to 1 1/2 oz. lures. Anyone use or fished these rods I'd be grateful for some insight. I'll be pairing it with a Penn Battle 2 4000 reel.

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    My experience with the Fenwicks is that they have a light tip. I think the Daiwa and Lamiglass MH rods are more of a heavy steelhead/ light salmon rod. The Okuma M is more of a classic medium action, like an all around steelhead rod. I have the MH spinning version of this in a travel rod, suitable for an all around rod for Alaska.

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
    Newport
    Name
    Michael
    Boat Name
    My favorite surf rod is the Phenix trifecta pro series 10-30# 9’. I think they don’t make it anymore but now have the cacaida. I started with a shimano clarus spinning 10-30# I still have it and like it. I usually fish 15# leaders in the surf with lucky craft 110 or small colt snipers. I think 3000 size spinning reels and 200 size casting reels are best size to fish the surf with lucky crafts and similar lures, braid to fluoro leaders. My 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Latest Articles